Alternator casing

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazzer_1965

Reaction score
Hi all

Had a wee incident with my bike last night and now find myself needing a new alternator casing, I'm fine with that but the dealer thinks the bolts used are stretch bolts - does anybody know if this is right ?

Thanks

Yea, the ally bolts for the engine casing are designed to be used once.

Tbh you can use them twice as long as you don't over tighten them but a BM dealer can't re use them as they must do exactly what BM says.

Sorry to hear about the bike damage, is the case broken or just scratched? I sourced the engine colour and painted mine which will have a GB racing cover over it. Looks fine but I'll maybe replace at some point.
Yes single use although I replaced a used one back into the casing last night no probs.

Yea, the ally bolts for the engine casing are designed to be used once.

Tbh you can use them twice as long as you don't over tighten them but a BM dealer can't re use them as they must do exactly what BM says.

Thanks Stephen

I though as much, I've just gone ahead and ordered them anyway cos I'm bound to snap at least 3 of them...lol

Cheers Loupe

Yeah bit of a bummer but I got off lightly if I'm honest - yeah casing is def broken as oil started firing out of it when I started it up again. Could probably fix it and cover with a casing cover but have just decided to bite the bullet and order a new casing ?250 from BMW

Ok was just a thought. I will do the same at some point but it's fine for now.
Bummer it happened.

Sorry to hear about the bike damage, is the case broken or just scratched? I sourced the engine colour and painted mine which will have a GB racing cover over it. Looks fine but I'll maybe replace at some point.
Yes single use although I replaced a used one back into the casing last night no probs.

Any chance you can remember the paint code?

Lol thanks, I painted Mercs in a past life although never with an aerosol!
Not sure how long it will last and will probably have it replaced at some point.

Back