Advice

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got a Ktm rc8 with a full dominator exhaust. Never been stopped and sounds like a tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough, you pays your money and takes your choice etc. interesting though with the noise factor, I get it (but the std is 'kin loud!) and I do appreciate the aural feedback to let me know what the bikes doing when pressing on. The intake noise helps more though. However, the std is an EU sanctioned set up, legal in the whole of the EU, including the UK. But when that brexit stuff kicks in, you guys with the 'illegal exhausts' (and they are) could all fall fowl of the 'great British' legal system....who knows how restrictive that could be? Enjoy it while you can....

Personally I just don't get it, the std gen3 exhaust is great, who cares what it looks like? With the std you'll never have a problem with the plod on the road (it's oem officer, what can I do?) and trackdays will be ok as far as I have seen. If you want to spend $$$ spend it on tyres, or trackdays, or touring, or good clothing/helmet, or servicing, or petrol. Show ponies the lot of you!

Firstly, you'll never have a problem with plod so long as an exhaust doesn't say words to the effect of "not for road use" on it.
There's no requirement for a catalytic converter in the UK, so why lug the extra weight and castrate the sound/performance of a bike unnecessarily?
I have an Akra Evo full system and it's the best mod I've made, brings me pleasure every time I look at or hear the bike. It's also 100 %, legitimately road legal in the U.K.

Secondly, I agree with your comment about spending money on experiences with your bike and having good kit etc.
But I've done over 37K miles on my 15 RR in little over 2 years, so I'm certainly not a show pony lol ...

Lastly, I don't believe Brexit has anything to do with this as ultimately it's British law which we follow and unless there are changes made to motorcycle MOT's then all is well.
You do have a point though with regard to touring in certain EU countries, and you do make a valid point on "enjoying it whilst we can" as with the way the world is going it'll only be a matter of time before bikes are emission tested like cars on MOT's.

Firstly, you'll never have a problem with plod so long as an exhaust doesn't say words to the effect of "not for road use" on it.
There's no requirement for a catalytic converter in the UK, so why lug the extra weight and castrate the sound/performance of a bike unnecessarily?
I have an Akra Evo full system and it's the best mod I've made, brings me pleasure every time I look at or hear the bike. It's also 100 %, legitimately road legal in the U.K.

Secondly, I agree with your comment about spending money on experiences with your bike and having good kit etc.
But I've done over 37K miles on my 15 RR in little over 2 years, so I'm certainly not a show pony lol ...

Lastly, I don't believe Brexit has anything to do with this as ultimately it's British law which we follow and unless there are changes made to motorcycle MOT's then all is well.
You do have a point though with regard to touring in certain EU countries, and you do make a valid point on "enjoying it whilst we can" as with the way the world is going it'll only be a matter of time before bikes are emission tested like cars on MOT's.
Yes I agree in the round. But, as I understand british law (could be wrong) all non std exhausts are open to challenge, in that if you're stopped for being, frankly anti-social, it's up
to you to prove that your setup is legal. The only way to do that is to engage with the detail of the law to dig yourself out of that hole! But, a std exhaust has already been through all of that (no idea how the s1 passes that that tbh, but I guess that's why they have the expensive complicated valves in the system). Good luck doing that in the real world if challenged about your noisey exhaust. As the link between EU law and UK law becomes unwound through brexit, don't gamble that you'll end up with the freedoms you're anticipating.
As for the de-cat issue.... why oh why? Keep the cat at all costs or there wont be any roads/country/planet to ride on in the first place.

If a policemen deems a motorcycle exhaust to be too loud and they can't clearly see an issue with the exhaust i.e. it is complete without any damage etc and nothing clearly stating it's not road worthy then they'll require you to take your bike to an MOT centre who'll then confirm that the bike is road worthy (or not lol).
I personally feel that in the real world this comes down to how you ride, if you're revving a bike unnecessarily or generally being anti-social in a village or residential area then you're likely to be stopped. But if you're on a national speed limit road and aren't being completely stupid then you're very unlikely to be stopped, and if you are, politely stand your ground or just accept having to go to an MOT centre.
For me personally, I would rather enjoy the bike more and accept possibly having a policeman not like it then to unnecessarily stick with an OEM exhaust. It's also worth noting that regardless of whether a bike has a cat or not, how loud a bike is can vary considerably. I personally would never de cat a bike if it were in anyway illegal. What is important is that you inform your insurance company.

You're quite right about laws changing, but I don't suspect motorcycle emissions to be a major issue for the government at this moment in time. There have been all sorts of rumours for years about MOT laws changing for motorcycles, but as yet, nothing has happened, so all we can do is keep fingers crossed nothing changes and enjoy one of the last bits of freedom we have lol.

Personally, I whole heartedly disagree, motorcycles represent 1 % of all road users, far fewer have no cat, and when you consider motorcycles considerably ease congestion there's not much of an argument for their polluting effect. I enjoy removing the cat on a bike firstly for the clean, characterful sound, secondly for the considerable weight reduction and lastly the boost in midrange torque.

But as always, to each their own and most of all, enjoy.

P.S. De cat your bike and make the summer longer lol!

The law on after market bike exhausts is clear and we've been into it at least a couple of times on here but in brief it needs to carry an EU stamp and not have 'not for road use' displayed. My AR can isn't stamped at all and therefore isn't legal, the Police pointed this out to me a couple of years ago, however with the baffle in its not much louder than standard and isn't anti social ( I cringe when I hear an unbaffled exhaust on the road). Brexit is whole different issue, IMO in order to successfully trade with the EU we will need to continue to embrace a very large chunk (all?) of EU product standards , there is no doubt that regardless of the final Brexit outcome noise & emissions will continue to be tightened by the vast majority of countries (well apart from the Trump led US!) and that will reflect in the extent to which we can or can't modify our bikes in the years to come.

The law on after market bike exhausts is clear and we've been into it at least a couple of times on here but in brief it needs to carry an EU stamp and not have 'not for road use' displayed. My AR can isn't stamped at all and therefore isn't legal, the Police pointed this out to me a couple of years ago, however with the baffle in its not much louder than standard and isn't anti social ( I cringe when I hear an unbaffled exhaust on the road). Brexit is whole different issue, IMO in order to successfully trade with the EU we will need to continue to embrace a very large chunk (all?) of EU product standards , there is no doubt that regardless of the final Brexit outcome noise & emissions will continue to be tightened by the vast majority of countries (well apart from the Trump led US!) and that will reflect in the extent to which we can or can't modify our bikes in the years to come.
All I'm saying is as you said. All you need is an EU stamp. Thank god for the EU! We all ride in a country that understands it's responsibilties, but thanks to our German friends, recognises that fun must be had. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

That can though.....just sayin [emoji12]
5968f8d7dacca389a0c26b8709fafd77.jpg

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back