About to be new owner - pointers/tips/things to watch for?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanK

Reaction score
Hi all

I am about to be the proud owner of a motorsport 2014 S1K this weekend (assuming I can get my 600rr ready to PX).

Whilst I am busy reading these forums, is there any important information/pointers that I should be aware of for in case I don't come across it? e.g

1) What to check when collecting bike - anything I need to look for or ask has to make sure has been done on 2014 sitting in the show room (getting the extras pack fitted this week)
2) Things I should be buying now? e.g. I just found the R&G oil cooler guard and sound like I might want to get one of them on pretty quick
3) Any maintenance tips and tricks to keep it tip top
4) Things to watch out for / not do

Also anyone got either a Trimetal or Assgard secure bike shed? My RR has been under a cover in the garden and has been eaten by rust, my new baby will be getting ACF50 treatment in few months and a dry home ASAP (I don't have a garage hence the metal shed idea which will count as one for insurance)

Sorry for first post being all questions and I promise I will introduce myself properly shortly (and tell about the test rides on Saturday between Honda and BMW that ended up with my risking both my marragie and driving license in chucking the 600), but I desperately need to get to bed but wanted to start the ball rolling for anything I might need to order online for example.

Cheers! :)

Dont say that - thats why I wanted to go back to look at the fireblade but the BMW was just a shit load more fun to ride and made me ignore everyone telling me they break all the time

I've done just over 4000 miles since March and that includes going to Barcelona. The bike has behaved faultlessly to date. The only thing that I would say is not as good as jap bikes is the gearbox but I thinks that's because of the shift assist thing. You have to be a bit more positive with the gear change i.e. give it a good boot :) .

Hi all

I am about to be the proud owner of a motorsport 2014 S1K this weekend (assuming I can get my 600rr ready to PX).

Whilst I am busy reading these forums, is there any important information/pointers that I should be aware of for in case I don't come across it? e.g

1) What to check when collecting bike - anything I need to look for or ask has to make sure has been done on 2014 sitting in the show room (getting the extras pack fitted this week)
2) Things I should be buying now? e.g. I just found the R&G oil cooler guard and sound like I might want to get one of them on pretty quick
3) Any maintenance tips and tricks to keep it tip top
4) Things to watch out for / not do

Also anyone got either a Trimetal or Assgard secure bike shed? My RR has been under a cover in the garden and has been eaten by rust, my new baby will be getting ACF50 treatment in few months and a dry home ASAP (I don't have a garage hence the metal shed idea which will count as one for insurance)

Sorry for first post being all questions and I promise I will introduce myself properly shortly (and tell about the test rides on Saturday between Honda and BMW that ended up with my risking both my marragie and driving license in chucking the 600), but I desperately need to get to bed but wanted to start the ball rolling for anything I might need to order online for example.

Cheers! :)

Go for a ride locally if any issues ride it straight back to the dealers to be checked out.
The bike is in warranty but when it runs out I would consider getting re covered (more so if the bike is living under a tarp)
I would flip the eccentric shock mount for better handling, fairly easy job.
Also check you switch gear before you ride out (indicators, horn) even from the dealers. I am on my 3rd s1 and every one had switchgear failure (3x left and 1x right)
Oil the chain regularly, wax the chain if storing it over winter.
If stored outside ACF50 would be a good start. But try and make/buy something you can push your bike into that has a slightly raised floor, few sheets of Marine ply and some 2x2 you should be able to make something better than a cover. Or even a cheap shed would be better. My mate uses an old dog kennel as he has no garage.

Best bit of advice i can give you is find your bike an enclosed shelter that is waterproof.

Other than a tail-tidy I would not advise any mods till you've run it in. Just get used to it...then tart it up.
Having said that, grip pads on the tank would be a good idea - I think the paint marks up easily so best to protect it from your leathers whilst helping you hang on. I have the R&G stuff.
If you want to do anything else I'd say get the suspension set for you and your riding...

Thanks guys, have asked how much the dealer wants for seat cowl, not holding breath and will look into the shock mount thing, but as suggested will be leaving that for a while so I can appreciate any changes it makes (probably end up at ERS Knockhill at some point to get suspension set up for me too (open to other recomendations for this around Scotland/Central belt)

Currently working on the shelter and have ordered one of the Assgard metal sheds as it seems to tick all the boxes and would count as a garage for my insurance, though it wont be here until mid August unfortunatley.

I used Wurth was/lube stuff for chain and plan to carry on using this, hopefully with better results once the bike is stored in the dry as live on the coast and my poor CBR has been hammered with rusty bolts and chains. Used ACF50 in the past but never bothered last couple of years - will definately be getting it again come this winter (I ride all year) and might even get it done properly rather than buggering about with aersol cans myself.

Will check all switches and buttons and go for a short test ride there and then. Will be over weekend before I can get out properly though and they are shut Sunday/Monday annoyingly.

Been looking at tank protectors and noticed the problems with them overlapping the nice Motorsport paint job. Looks like I might have to just live with that but not sure I can bring myself to put grip pads on the tank :/

Radiator and oil cooler guards are a must if you ask me the last thing you need us a stone thrown up from your front tyre

Latest posts

Back