99 RON vs 95 RON fuel

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyingscotsman

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
So from another post consensus is that fuel additives are snake oil.

What do people think about or use in their bike re 99 or 95 Ron fuel?

I use 99 in my car when I can as it was mapped running V-power.

My bike is not flashed or using PC or other mapping. 2013 bike with standard ECU with Akra full system.

I also tend to use higher Ron fuel in the bike when I can get it.

Interested to hear what others are using...

I always use 99 RON wherever possible in my bike, I believe it even says somewhere in the Gen 3 owners manual to use higher RON fuel preferably (?).

Like you, my bike has an Akra full system, though I also have a custom mapped PCV (on 99 RON). That being said, I used 99 RON when it was stock too.

I've always used 95 RON in cars though, unless in future there is a particular reason for me to use 99 RON (i.e due to a map, or due to the type of car)

Last edited:
I use 99 on the bmw but for sone reason my r1 hates the stuff and use 95.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It's interesting that some manufacturers map sport bikes for 99, others for 95.

I'd always opt for 99 if custom mapping though

It's interesting that some manufacturers map sport bikes for 99, others for 95.

I'd always opt for 99 if custom mapping though
Both bikes have been mapped by the same people. Maybe when i took the r1 down i still had some spanish fuel in it[emoji33] [emoji12]

Both bikes have been mapped by the same people. Maybe when i took the r1 down i still had some spanish fuel in it[emoji33] [emoji12]

Oh I didn't realise they've both been mapped too, that's interesting that the R1 isn't a fan of 99!

Yes, pretty sure my manual (gen 2) says 95,

Thank you, I was thinking back to all those hours I spent ogling over BMW specs when the HP4 was out lol.
I remember doing a comparison between the HP4 and 15 bike and noticed a fuel RON change (yes I am that sad lol ...)

I recently had cause to try loads of different fuels back to back, from 102 to 95 and found i got the smoothest response from the stuff in the high 90’s. The 102 felt almost rough, as bad as the 95 did, but in a different way, almost like it was a lower down rumble (sound wise), as opposed to the slightly higher frequency rumble you get from 95 petrol. 97/98/99 felt fine. *not scientific at all, more a personal perception*

Don?t u just love a know it all .. lol my other bike 2014 and was told from the off to use 99.
How goes it Oli u not out playing today ??
I?ve been adding bits to the bike and knackering up other bits that I?m not going into coz this schoolboy getting his ass wiped today making mistakes over and over !!

I said "I believe", not saying for certain, and not disputing what you were saying.
I certainly did not intend to sound like a "know it all", if so, I apologise.

However, if that second bit was supposed to be a joke, I did not find it funny ...

Phil is your R1 the 07-08?

That model for Europe does indeed run poorly on 99 Ron, when i worked for a Yamaha dealership i remember that it was one of the service bulletins that rough running and erratic idle should be first ruled out by making sure that 95 Ron was used and not the super unleaded fuels.

Mine ran awful with it

Last edited:
5vy bud. 04 -06

Really day just getting worse .

No u didn?t sound like a know it all it was apassing comment coz I got it wrong hence the lol. Thought we got on better than that. My mistake

U not playing out meant are u not playing out on the bike today ?

Sorry if offended seriously wasn?t meant .

I was rushing message as knackered my bike trying to fit the span adjusted and left me with no front brake so abit het up.

No hard feelings Jay, was just a misunderstanding.

I am sorry to hear you've problems with your front brake, hope the problem is resolved soon and nothing is broken

Oli

All kissed and made up?

Jay can the RapidBike not have switchable maps? If so I will opt for a 98/99ron and a less aggressive 2nd option for 95

- Sent from Mobile

All kissed and made up?

Jay can the RapidBike not have switchable maps? If so I will opt for a 98/99ron and a less aggressive 2nd option for 95

- Sent from Mobile

Yep, had a virtual hug and pint [emoji482] !!!

I think I saw a map switch available as an accessory for the Evo and Race models?
Jay can you clarify?

Oli

In my opinion,as the engine has knock sensors,the ecu will compensate for fuel ron rating.I have always had my bikes mapped using 99ron and suffered no ill effects when having to use a lesser fuel.However,I will always try to use 99ron.

A few years ago I had my gen2 s1000 custom dyno mapped via email with brentune who, amongst other mods,recalibrated the knock sensors to allow higher octane fuel to be used.The bike was mapped for 99ron.By simply adding 102ron(snetterton pump race fuel-overwintered stock!)a gain of 4bhp was achieved.

Following from Baz's post, out of curiosity, would it be possible to map a stock ECU with 102 octane race fuel using a Rapid Bike Race module (whereby ignition can be adjusted too), or would you likely encounter knock issues?

Oli

Following from Baz's post, out of curiosity, would it be possible to map a stock ECU with 102 octane race fuel using a Rapid Bike Race module (whereby ignition can be adjusted too), or would you likely encounter knock issues?

Oli

It is doubtful you would have any problems because the sensors would detect any knock and retard the ignition,Whether there would be any gains is another matter.
In my opinion,using race fuel,with no mapping,would give a small gain due to the higher oxygen content,but only if the fuel was fresh from a sealed can.

Latest posts

Back