520 vs 525 and conversion?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felix

Reaction score
Hellooo

Just recieved my 520 chain, 16 front and 47 rear, Believe this is -1/+2 setup.

I've been doing a bit of reading online and everyone is saying that they need to do a "520 conversion" Is this something you need to change with the bike or just literally new sprockets and the correct chain for them?>
Does the 520 also squeeze out some more bhp

Thanks

Last edited:
520 Conversion

520 pitch chain and sprockets are generally used on race/track bikes as they offer a marginal reduction in unsprung weight but to the detriment of longevity. That and there is a wider range of 520 pitch sprocket sizes which are more readily available for use with aftermarket lightweight wheels. If your bike is predominantly used on the road with the occasional trackday then your best off sticking with a 525 pitch chain and sprockets as they will last longer. If your doing a lot of trackdays, or are racing, and are routinely altering gearing then a 520 pitch chain and a good selection of sprocket sizes makes sense. It makes absolutely no difference to power output.

I only bought this setup + chain as was recommended by Calsport guys

It will work, but keep an eye on chain slack as its more likely to stretch and it will have a shorter service life.

I think Calsport were wrong to advise a 520.

- Sent from Mobile

Last edited:
Always used 525 (OE) on my '10 and '15, never bought a new chain and never needed to. Mind you, was a bit anal with cleaning and adjustment, seems it paid off lol

It will work, but keep an eye on chain slack as its more likely to stretch and it will have a shorter service life.

I think Calsport were wrong to advise a 520.

- Sent from Mobile

I'll second Alex's opinion and Ryan hit the nail on the head Felix...a text book explanation.

Latest posts

Back