2015 rr

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bananaman

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone seen any info regarding the box on the new '15 ? Has it been upgraded/reworked/sorted? This could be a reason to change or not.
Cheers !

If you look at the official pics on the BMW web site the box is definitely different - the gear linkage is vertical instead of horizontal. No idea if this will improve it though!

I was at the Monte Blanco event over the weekend. The global press launch is happening there this week, so the whole team from BMW were down preparing. On Saturday they wheeled two out for us, and gave a presentation on the changes. They definitely talked about some of the improvements coming from work on the cylinder head (if that's what the OP meant in his Q), and the DDC being a big step forward from the HP4. All the power/torque charts were basically along the lines of 'bigger better faster more', although some of the HP4 owners were saying that some of the numbers were a little less than their numbers.

On Sunday they had some bikes out on track with us (in motorsports and black) in the hands of a couple of professionals. I have lots of pics and videos, I will try and upload some more later (when I work out why it won't let me upload more now, but don't hold your breath for the vids). It looks really good in the flesh, and sounds amazing (esp pit lane limiter, although I think they said that's already on HP4?) - seemed louder than current standard exhaust at full whack.

Worth mentioning that the BMW guys were amazing - they were looking round our bikes and suggesting improvements (riding improvements, lever/peg positions etc etc) - my bike had a quick shifter problem and their head guys got the chief engineer to look at it - they all got stuck in and sorted it.

Attachments

• 2014-10-12 08.39.05.jpg
    2014-10-12 08.39.05.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 95
Sounds like you guys had a cracking weekend at monteblanco, nice one! Who's Lara Croft's twin sister in the background :) ?

The new bike was always going to be an improvement (more power, lighter) on the previous model and BMW have added some really neat options like the two way quickshifter (although this was announced on another BMW bike earlier this year so no big surprise) and pit lane limiter (I don't think my HP4 has that?). DDC being 'better' than the DDC on the HP4 needs some qualifying and quantifying, saying it doesn't make it so, and in my humble experience the DDC on the HP4 is excellent, damping is either doing the job or it isn't.

The bald BMW guy at the beginning of the vid mentioned the philosophy of 'get on and go' being what is driving their vision, which is fine, but I do wonder where it will end. So now you can have a super bike with cruise control, maybe next a heated seat and integrated sat nav? Or perhaps just dont bother with chain drive because that requires some user maintenance and fit shaft drive, hey presto, its a K1600...

As for lean angle stuff, in the analogue world we know how much lean the bike has done and can achieve by looking at the tyres. Having a digital display give exact degrees is going to be really useful for some racers, and a big pissing contest for the average rider, the temptation being to crank it over further than your mates, that's not going to end well.

I'd like to see the new bike in the flesh before deciding on the aesthetics.

Soof, that's Charlotte, she of the pink S1000RR, and fellow (if that's the right word) forum member :) I am sure she will be along later to pass comment on your comment :) :)

The 'bald guy' in the video was one of two follically challenged guys that were in charge (sadly can't remember his name, great bloke). He was very adamant that the DDC is way better... Agree that lean angle will lead to pointless pub chats, and perhaps a few unnecessary offs (depending on how/when it shows when you're riding - didn't see it in action), although it might help people understand the value of different modes and their power delivery (I'm not in the leave it in race/slick mode school of thought).

Does anyone know the release date or the RRP yet? I have a Black 2012 so a Black 2015 should be spot on (best colour for the new bodywork imo). I wish they'd do a pure white (ready for carbon accents) or a pure indigo blue :-/

Does anyone know the release date or the RRP yet? I have a Black 2012 so a Black 2015 should be spot on (best colour for the new bodywork imo). I wish they'd do a pure white (ready for carbon accents) or a pure indigo blue :-/

I am due a call from the stealer when the prices are released. Was told it was after the show......... If i'm first with the info I'll post here.

I like the idea of the white with carbon, you could always get it wrapped or plastidip the fairings????

Looks good....definitely interested to learn more about how the ddc will be better....if it is along with the braking updates expect BMW would offer that as an upgrade (assuming same hardware) for the HP4 owners same as the race ABS update. Will be interesting to see how much the options all come too when you spec one up. I still think all of the bits on the HP4 make it a cracking deal (Wheels, brakes, carbon etc etc) and its natural progression to see some of the tech end up on the base models. Not sure i would be looking to jump off my HP4 for one though....not too sure i like the new look much.

If you look at some of the pictures there is no sensor connected to the swing are like there is on the HP4, so I think they can now do this inside the rear shock.

I will be intrested to ride the new bike before considering to swap my 2012, I have has the suspension re-sprung and re-valved at both ends to suit me and it awesome the new bike would need to be as good for me to consider swaping I dont know if any HP4 riders have had simliar work done?

Does anybody know if the HP4 has finished its run of sales ? So the new S1 is basically a HP4 in a different colour, that doesn't help HP4 prices for owners who might want to change :apologetic:

More than an HP4 in a different colour, I believe it's also lighter and has more power.

Does anybody know if the HP4 has finished its run of sales ? So the new S1 is basically a HP4 in a different colour, that doesn't help HP4 prices for owners who might want to change :apologetic:

Production ended July I belive. The new bike is not an HP4, different in nearly every way. HP4 - limited production homologated track bike. New model is a (likely very very good) mass production sports bike. If stats and having the latest model are your thing then go get the new bike. Bmw made no secret of a new model being on the way when I bought mine in 2013. An HP4 will hold its value better than a stock previous model bike because of the limited production. I'm not selling mine, it's fantastic to ride and always will be. And as one of my non riding mates said a while back, it looks f&@king fast just sat in the garage.

I love the HP4 and I'm envious of those that have one, but I wonder what will happen to residuals when the inevitable back-2-back tests prove that u can have a brand new bike that's cheaper, faster, easier to ride, etc?

alternatively ...have both!?!?

if I had a choice I'd choose the hp4 it's way better looking and as mentioned a limited production bike, and who knows maybe in some years to come it may be worth a few quid, ultimately it was the bmw that forced others to raise there game could be a iconic model in years to come, is the new bike really going to be that much better and even if it is you would prob have to have a certain skills set to get the most out of it!! which I doubt your average track dayer will have

Back