2015+ ABS Pro

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree totally
I was very dissapointed to hear this
and it seems to me that they have not informed owners of the limitations to this expensive upgrade!!

It sounds like one of those things that's been developed that you don't need, I have it on my GSA as it came as std but I'd never dream of paying extra for it, how often does the ABS come on (for me never) never mind ABS pro...?

Very good point Mac
abs has cut in only once for me ,but that was on purpose to see how effective it was

Thing is if you hit a load of mud coming round a corner, as i have and I'm sure some of you have over this winter, ABS pro isn't going to save you from binning it if the front tyre lets go on the crud, the laws of physics will see to that. The key thing is to 'manage' the situation in the first place

Last edited:
Thing is if you hit a load of mud coming round a corner, as i have and I'm sure some of you have over this winter, ABS pro isn't going to save you from binning it if the front tyre lets go on the crud, the laws of physics will see to that. The key thing is to 'manage' the situation in the first place

BMW don't claim to be able to alter the laws of physics and you are right MacRR 'managing' unforeseen circumstances is what every rider has to do from the minute they leave on a journey to the time the engine is switched off at the end. What ABS Pro does is give the rider the maximum amount of braking force whilst riding the bike that is possible to give at ANY given moment whether banked over mid-corner or riding in a straight line on a perfect surface. On my HP4 it is only active in Rain and Sport mode as Race and Slick as the name suggests should only be engaged whilst on a track. I have only had it engage once and that was testing it immediately after getting it fitted, it blew me away how it reacted and I am very glad that it is on the bike.
I think that as I want to live as long as I can, if a highly trained Engineer in the BMW software Dept. can make my bike safer, then more power to his elbow.

I hope everyone on here has a enjoyable and safe riding season.

JimmyMac

That's great but the problem I have set it in user mode
which is NOT slick mode
I can set bike for my personal prefferences
eg suspension tec etc
but abs pro does not work in user mode !!

If people feel safer with it that's fine by me, as I said I have it on my GSA but won't be fitting it to my S1K

That's great but the problem I have set it in user mode
which is NOT slick mode
I can set bike for my personal prefferences
eg suspension tec etc
but abs pro does not work in user mode !!

As Councillor Alf Roberts famously said, "You can have ABS Pro in some of the modes, you can have some ABS in all of the modes, but you can't have ABS Pro in all of the modes."

JimmyMac

Why would you not want it in race and slick? If your lent over on a track and somebody drops it in front of you when ur going down say craner curves would you not want it? When did the track day in Aug at donnington the abs is what stopped my bike ducking its self and me. I had it in user mode and abs in road and it never cut in once thill the lever was forced back to the bar.
i wonder what the R1 & new ZX10 cornering abs works in. Also think that it is shit that a brand like BMW sells products and there deals don't no the full particulars ie price & spec before they try and sell them.

Dean

Why would you not want it in race and slick? If your lent over on a track and somebody drops it in front of you when ur going down say craner curves would you not want it? When did the track day in Aug at donnington the abs is what stopped my bike ducking its self and me. I had it in user mode and abs in road and it never cut in once thill the lever was forced back to the bar.
i wonder what the R1 & new ZX10 cornering abs works in. Also think that it is shit that a brand like BMW sells products and there deals don't no the full particulars ie price & spec before they try and sell them.

Dean

And was just thinking, I know your all shocked!! But is the Abs not still active in race and slick at a low level unless it is totally deactivated by the button on the switch gear?

Integral ABS

On the 2015/16 model the ABS is optimised for deceleration when in Race mode and stability when in Rain and Sport modes. When the bike is in Slick mode the ABS does not function when the rear brake is depressed.

I would assume that the reason ABS Pro does not work in User mode is that it is effectively some kind of map that has been developed based on fixed parameters in Rain, Sport and Race modes and would need to be re-calibrated for the various options in User mode - in much the same way that DTC is supposed to be calibrated for a given tyre size.

...and here's another line from a dealer I spoke to yesterday. It was ?400 fitted, has to be ordered and is matched to bikes VIN?? and takes about 5 days for delivery. The guy claimed to have the spec sheet in front of him, no ABS Pro in User or Slick only in the other rider modes. It also includes this dynamic rear light when active, he also claimed the 2016 model has dynamic rear light feature as standard and he was also told, though this wasn't on the spec sheet, that as the brake pressure increased and speed reduced the hazards start flashing. I'm not entirely sold on it myself, not for ?400 anyway.

I think on the 2016 model with the Race mode too it's making more sense. Feels like it's developing further and needs time. The 2012 retrofit is ?800 as it needs hardware too. I'm not going to go for it. I'll save it for my next one.

Quote from the BMW spec on the bike for the performance pack that comes with the sport

“Pro riding modes” with pit lane speed limiter and Launch Control (two additional riding modes: Slick and USER with coding plug for individual settings)

then call another component Pro and don't make it compatible with the first one. Sent a message to BMW uk to get clarification.

Now fitted to my '16 at the end of last week.

Dealer specifically made a point of clearly stating it does not work in Slick or User, but does now work in Race unlike the retrofit to older bikes.

Hopefully I won't be posting a review of it any time soon though!

I'm so happy that I always follow your posts. I've in an argument with my dealer and BMW because of this thread. Maybe you guys can help me out.

When I bought my bike in december 2015 I had the choice to buy a new 2016 or a 2015 out of the showroom. I agreed to buy the 2015 if there where no changes to the 2016 version. I was there when the phone call was made to BMW and they confirmed that there was no change to the 2016. As you all know there is. My dealer found out that when you buy a 2016 the ABS pro is a standard part of the race package. He is in an argument with BMW to solve this. According to my dealer there is no other change to the 2016 than ABS Pro so according to him on that front I'm save. But I want to confirm that. I've a couple of questions:

1. Is ABS pro exactly the same when retrofitted (is that a good word?) to the 2015?
2. What are the pro riding modes? Is that the same as the options Slick and User?
3. Is it true that the 2016 has dynamic rear light? Or does it come with the upgrade to ABS pro?
4. Is there something else that I missed?

Can you help me please?

My dealer found out that when you buy a 2016 the ABS pro is a standard part of the race package.

My 2016 sport (delivered to UK during Feb, registered as a 16 plate 1st March) did not have ABS Pro as standard or as part of the optional performance pack.

I decided to pay my dealer for the retrofit upgrade, as it was the only 'missing' piece of tech from the BMW that I liked the idea of when comparing bikes originally.

I managed a look at the BMW tech doc when I was chatting to my dealer, and it mentioned that it would be an option to add to new bikes, but I have not seen it on the options list anywhere - interested to hear if anyone knows if it is now a factory fit option when ordering a new bike.

1. Not sure, but I would expect identical
2. Pro riding modes are slick+user
3. As far as I am aware my bike does not have dynamic rear light even with ABS Pro either.

Let us know how you get on though!

ABS Pro

I have no intention of fitting ABS Pro to my S1000RR but whilst mine was having its annual service at the weekend I did ask about it through curiosity. My dealer stated it was only available as an optional extra on new bikes or as a retrofit option on the 2015 model year. That and they also confirmed that it would only function in RAIN, SPORT and RACE modes.

Latest posts

Back