2012 forks better than 2010 forks?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Japcati

Reaction score
I read a few articles that say the front forks on a 2012 S1000rr are much better than the forks on a 2010 bike.

That front end feel was improved by BMW on the 2012 bike with better fork internals.

Is this true?

And if so,would 2012 forks be a direct swap onto a 2010 bike?

Thanks.

I don't remember noticing any difference when I test rode them both back in the day. But I find the 2010 forks fine for me with a bit of set up; in fact I've just test ridden a 2017 with the electric damping and it didn't feel any better than mine on a 130 mile test round the lanes of Kent (the back might be slightly better!).
so have a look at the preload (for your weight) - comfort damping settings are a good start for the road. fluid change is due at 18000 miles, I let coopers do mine, (would have used HM, but quite happy with standard)

I thought is was more geometry rather than fork internals. They may have changed the damper shims/spring weights though...

Last edited:
I might be wrong, but I think the geometry change is caused by 1 tooth more on rear sprocket and same chain shortening wheel base

Copied from A visor down feature
Chassis Changes
Chassis Changes
The new model has a shorter wheelbase, down from 1432mm to 1422.7mm. The steering head angle changes from 24 degrees to 23.9 degrees, while trail is increased by 2.6mm. A mid-speed damping valve has been added to the front forks and internals have been revised with the aim of improving front-end feedback. The rear shock features a new spring and a wider range of adjustment. The swingarm pivot is located 4mm higher in the chassis a move designed to improve suspension feel. The bars are set wider and the reach to them is slightly greater, for more leverage than before.

Last edited:
Theres only 8,000 miles on the bike.

Just a question more out of curiosity more so.

Oh and Im an idiot,there is an Ohlins fully adjustable damper on the bike.

I had it in my head that the damper was an OEM unit.
So I went and bought a new gen3 damper for nothing

Silly me.

And 8k miles means it's been that distance, what about reasons. Get them refreshed, oil degrades. Should done annually if you like to get the best and safest ride

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This is one of my real bug bares with road riders.
They will spend thousands on bling, and HP numbers, but deny suspension, tyres/pressures and brakes,
You could have a million HP, if you can't lay it down safely and stop when you want, get a 600.
The mind boggles.

This is one of my real bug bares with road riders.
They will spend thousands on bling, and HP numbers, but deny suspension, tyres/pressures and brakes,
You could have a million HP, if you can't lay it down safely and stop when you want, get a 600.
The mind boggles.

Usually one of the first things I look at, road or track bike. Doesn't have to cost a lot of cash. Fresh oil, springs changed to suit your weight, twiddle the knobs for a decent set up and it's like riding a different bike!

Back