18000 mile service or wait

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richy170

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
My S1K was first registered 29/6/15. It has had its initial 600 mile check. Going from service record printouts it has then had on 6/7/16 at 5355 miles an oil and oil filter, sump plug seal replaced along with a new K and N air filter fitted. On 28/4/17 at 8047 miles I had oil and oil filter, sump plug seal, coolant and brake fluid change. I also had new chain and front and rear sprockets fitted. The K and N was cleaned and recharged. In June 2017 I also had the fork cartridges replaced at MH racing.

The service light has been on my bike since November but Im currently not riding the bike until mid February. It now has 14500 miles on it and I want to get it serviced for the forthcoming year. Should I be getting the 18000 mile service down at 15000 miles or just get an oil and filter etc service and then wait until i hit the 18000 miles for the valve timings etc.

Also how often should/would you clean and refill a K and N air filter. There website states every 50000 to 100,000 miles but surely that doesn't equate to a bike. I also read that you shouldn't clean it unless it is really dirty. I presume after only 6000 miles i should tell the dealer just to leave it in place during its next service.

So i am right in thinking the service light came on at 14000 miles?

I would get it serviced normally and then the big one at 18-19000.

Yes the service light must have come on about 14000 miles. If I get a basic oil service at 15000 miles am I right in presuming in a few months when i reach 18000 for the big service that they won't bother changing the oil. At least I won't have the cost of the forks being rebuilt just yet.

If I get a basic oil service at 15000 miles am I right in presuming in a few months when i reach 18000 for the big service that they won't bother changing the oil.

Yes. Bear in mind the service intervals are approx so if you got to nearer 19000 by the end of the season you could just get it all done then.

K&N Air Filter

After 6,000 miles you will definitely want to have your air filter cleaned. You will be surprised at just how dirty they get especially from road use.

The dealers mechanics should know better than to bin a K&N. They should just note it has one on the inspection sheet.
I would service it yearly. Service packs are available from dealers like Opie Oils (discount available). A wash and new oil covering every year is peace of mind.

Back