Engine management light HP4 2013

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just realised that there was more pages and when I was commenting i was still on the 1st page!! Hah. As far as I was aware the bikes cost around ?26k when the rolled of the line? The carbon hp4 was ?19.5k then with the competition pack added that was another ?6k? Correct me if Im wrong of course. Im only going of what I was told. Anyway back to the issue at hand. The only thing I did was change the exhaust so Im right up there with u lot. Its in with BM tomorrow so will report back on what they say. Ive got to say tho. The original end can it came with is awfull I wont be putting that thing back on. If bmw say its the exhaust bringing the fault up I will take steps to rectify it. Im thinking of fitting a pcv on her anyway so fuel issues can be ironed out then. Whats your thoughts on PCV on these. My blade is still quicker than the hp4 and Im hoping to change that with a pcv!

I don't know what the competition pack would consist of, not something I have heard about before. Any more info on what that is?

I suppose it must be personal preference regarding the full akra ti system which includes the end can. Not heard anyone having a big problem with it on the hp4 before, mine does the job just fine.

The competition pack includes all the hp items I believe? Im sure it was an optional extra?? Could be wrong tho. Yeah deffinatley personal preference when it comes to the look of end cans. Ive never been one for oversized cans. Just reminds me of old school bikes that alot of manufactors have gone back to. I had a taylormade on my fireblade when I first got it. Purely for the motogp look... realised pretty quickly that it came at a price... being power!!! What a piece of shite that was. 2 tins of beans welded together ... hah. Looked the nuts bit performed like a 125! I could be wrong with the competition pack!! Thats what BMW told me over the phone... that there was a option to add a comp pack when you bought the hp4 carbon? Who knows!! All I know is that I love the bike the way I have it (see avatar) but am in desperate need to iron out the issues. Looking foward to seeing how it performs on track to be honest.

Like a say i have the exact same issue as you but on a standard 2014. Someone told me (true or not) that if the ecu gets hot ie standing after fans have been on they can get a bit iffy. But like its been mention im sure lots of summer racing in places like spain then more issues would have arisen. I have an ar system on and decat so it may be a zaust problem but the pc5 and custom map has helped with idling and smoothed it out. Just this dam engine light every now and again. Please report back as to bmws finding ta

Yeah im really moving more towards the exhaust as being my issue. Every person ive spoken to has modified the exhaust in some way and that makes me think its that. I will report back asap. Cheers

The competition pack includes all the hp items I believe? Im sure it was an optional extra?? Could be wrong tho. Yeah deffinatley personal preference when it comes to the look of end cans. Ive never been one for oversized cans. Just reminds me of old school bikes that alot of manufactors have gone back to. I had a taylormade on my fireblade when I first got it. Purely for the motogp look... realised pretty quickly that it came at a price... being power!!! What a piece of shite that was. 2 tins of beans welded together ... hah. Looked the nuts bit performed like a 125! I could be wrong with the competition pack!! Thats what BMW told me over the phone... that there was a option to add a comp pack when you bought the hp4 carbon? Who knows!! All I know is that I love the bike the way I have it (see avatar) but am in desperate need to iron out the issues. Looking foward to seeing how it performs on track to be honest.

The HP4 Carbon list price included the Gilles levers, rearsets, carbon and blue wheels (note it did not include a carbon rear hugger or carbon chain guard). Maybe a misunderstanding because the difference between the standard HP4 and the carbon version was around ?4k list price, but pricing the extra bits individually would have added around ?6k +, so perhaps that is what they meant? Just to confuse everyone further the HP4 Carbon was marketed in the USA as the HP4 Competition, but it was the same bike.

Either way, I have done 10k on mine since I got it new in 2013 and have had no issues other than the alarm being faulty shortly after I took delivery. I have done several trackdays with it and other than changing the pads to something more track focused the bike has been spot on.

As stated, the Carbon and the Competition are the same bike. UK and US respectively.
I have the Carbon and I love it, by far and away the best bike I've ever had.
So far nothing's gone amiss. Fingers crossed it'll stay that way.

A PCV would have been my normal route on a bike if i was to start messing around with intake and exhaust profiles but everything I am reading suggests that the Bazzaz is the better option as it allows all 8 injectors to be mapped rather than just the 4 that the PCV does without having to buy the additional FI controller (which effectively doubles the price).

Thanks for the info m8. Did it come standard with the alarm. As im sure mine dosent have one fitted.! Did you add that? I will be looking into bazzaz then with that. Hopefully iton out any issues.

Last edited:
No, the alarm was an option when I ordered, but they can easily be retro fitted. The BMW alarm is not thatcham approved if you're thinking about one, so there may be better aftermarket choices out there...

Bikes not starting, leaving for 10 mins then it's ok.... that worries me Andy

Alex is quite right. Generally these bikes have been reliable. 2 bikes on the forum with possibly unrelated issues isn't a fair way to form an opinion on reliability. Also, we have 2nd gen bikes built near the end of a development and production cycle that started well before 2009 when they started racing them. I deliberately chose the HP4 over waiting for a new 3rd gen bike because of that. I can't at this moment think of a recall on my bike in over two years, whereas the new bike has had some already (which is to be expected).

Yea i get it, was just saying... it brings back memories of an ecu issue i had on a 09 blade...was intermittant and caused me problems no end...had some de javu when I read the thread through...had a flashback there

Last edited:
Actually, I missread the thread... for some reason I thought it was a more common issue.. and I started to freak a bit due to said issue ...phew... sorry lads...

I deliberately chose the HP4 over waiting for a new 3rd gen bike because of that. I can't at this moment think of a recall on my bike in over two years, whereas the new bike has had some already (which is to be expected).

As far as I'm aware,the only recall the 2015 has had was to replace the bolt in the gearlever spline due to one being loose on a press bike!.Nothing else has gone wrong on mine,even after 5000 miles on track!
Not a bad record on a new model!

I've been racking my brain trying to remember the overall recalls.I can't think of any on the 2010/11.
There was a recall on the fuel pipe where it fits on the tank(various years).
There was an issue with an engine(early 2012) blow-up which delayed production and a large batch requiring new conrod bolts.
2012's had a recall on sidestand bolts.

There have been a few one-off issues but,as far as I'm aware,bmw have always looked after their customers(not necessarily the same can be said for all dealers).
Overall,IMO,not a bad record for the best overall sportsbike on the planet!

Fair enough Baz, I'm sure you are right about the manufacturer recalls :).

I should have looked myself earlier, official government safety recalls on the dft website list 2 recalls for the s1000rr, one mid 2012 (engine) and one early 2013 (side stand). Nothing for the new bike yet.

The R1M: 2 recalls in 2015, one for 'possibility of loss of control', and one for 'risk of fire'. Bummer.

Very useful website if anyone didn't know about it: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

Right, back from BMW today. Bikes been given a clean bill of health. As for the engine management light they run a diagnostic and the fault come back as the electronic throttle valve! He said the battery and the end can werent the issue and he cleared the fault and suspect that it may not happen again. Im not in full agreement with them as I think that if its happened before its happened for a reason. Im sure just clearing it wont solve nothing. But in the spirit of doing as they ask i took it away and will take it back if it is to happen again. He seems to think he can adjust it through the ecu without having to even strip the bike. So heres to hoping.!!! If it comes back then I will be straight back in for more in depth testing... on his advice it will be fine and nothing to worry about!!!!!????

Latest posts

Back