Heated grips

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the grips on my 15 are bloody useless! :( ...luke warm at best. I raised the issue with my dealer so they tested them and reported no issues??! :-/ ....Not sure if these grips are the same throughout the BMW range of bikes but i've tried grips on a GS and my mates 1600 and both got super hot .....but...I also took out an XR and the grips on that were useless! ....hmmmmm ....i seem to remember reading something in the 15RR manual about the bike automatically cutting power to the grips when current is required elsewhere?? ...whatever that means?? Any ideas? Might have to fit a pair of Oxford grips next winter?! :-/

Reason I bought this...my grips I think should be warmer...rhs feels warmer then lhs.. did we ever find out the parameters ?

ForumRunner_20160322_232138.jpg

ForumRunner_20160322_232145.jpg

stu's phone

Heated Grips

There is a noticeable difference between the low and high settings on my heated grips. The latter is great for warming your hands up quickly but I normally find myself selecting the lower setting after 10 minutes. Overall I've not experienced any issues with mine.

There's clearly a lot of variation in how the heated grips perform which is hard to understand. I was out on my bike for an hour yesterday, I had the grips on level 2 the whole time, at this setting they generate less warmth than my GSA does on level 1

Could it be a case of individual perception of heat through the hands plus type of gloves being used? I was out on my HP4 on Sunday morning and didn't need the heated grips on at all.

Seems odd that we would all have the same bike with different heat from the grips?

All my BMW bikes have been consistent with low setting being toasty and high setting being uncomfortable or unuseable unless its near freezing.

Soof, I've been wearing the same Alpinestars goretex gloves while riding both of my bikes, the heat from the GSA's grips on level 2 is unbearable once up to temp. with level one providing a decent comfortable warmth certainly down to an outside temp. of 3 deg C. In contrast it was 10deg C here yesterday and I had the S1K's grips on level 2 for my whole 1 hour ride where they provided enough warmth but were in no way 'toasty'. My '13RR and '10 GSA were similar, in fact I got a shock when I got my new GSA because I couldn't believe how hot the new grips got on setting 2, I thought there might be something wrong with them!!

Soof, I've been wearing the same Alpinestars goretex gloves while riding both of my bikes, the heat from the GSA's grips on level 2 is unbearable once up to temp. with level one providing a decent comfortable warmth certainly down to an outside temp. of 3 deg C. In contrast it was 10deg C here yesterday and I had the S1K's grips on level 2 for my whole 1 hour ride where they provided enough warmth but were in no way 'toasty'. My '13RR and '10 GSA were similar, in fact I got a shock when I got my new GSA because I couldn't believe how hot the new grips got on setting 2, I thought there might be something wrong with them!!

Righty then. Sounds like from your observations the new 15 grips are not as warm as the gen 2 bike then. My HP4/GSA experience is similar to yours.

Bizarre that they make a sports bike with cruise control so it's a 'sports tourer' bike but fail to put decent heated grips on. Perhaps the canbus on the new bike has so much electrical load on it the grips dont get enough juice? Odd.

Could it be a case of individual perception of heat through the hands plus type of gloves being used? I was out on my HP4 on Sunday morning and didn't need the heated grips on at all.

Seems odd that we would all have the same bike with different heat from the grips?

All my BMW bikes have been consistent with low setting being toasty and high setting being uncomfortable or unuseable unless its near freezing.
Hi Soof...it's not a case of perception for me. I'm comparing my grips on the RR with my previous bikes and other BMWs from the dealer. The Oxford grips on my Fireblade were crazy hot on the highest setting but had several lower settings to use. The grips on the new GS i tried were super hot on high setting (almost unbearable unless freezing) lower setting was substantially hotter than the high setting on my RR.

One thing i have noticed with my bike is that the grips tend to get warmer when the bike is just ticking over for a while or riding at very low revs (not very often!:beguiled:) ......as soon as you ride the bike normally (i.e. high revs!) the grips become next to useless??! ....I'm wondering if my dealer tested them on tick over and presumed they were fine?? Hmmm will have to give them a call to investigate further.

Also i notice the manual states "If battery charge is low the heated grips are switched off" ...maybe those of us experiencing problems with the grips have defective batteries? BMW have already replaced my battery once and the new one doesn't even start the bike if i leave it for a week or two! :-/

Any thoughts?
Cheers

My local dealer got back to me,

The grips on the latest model are not as warm as on previous/other models and will only reach top temp when most power can be drawn from the battery (so at idle when I tested them is when they will be at their coolest, in my case 34*C on the top setting).

I was informed that 44-46*C should be the temp when the system allows full power to be pulled from the battery.

Next test will be on the move, IR temp gauge at the ready.!!

Thanks for the info DC, very helpful but also annoying at the same time!! Be very interested to see what temp. results you get on the move, not sure how you're going to do that accurately without a rolling road though?!

i changed my grips to renthal and both heat up the same.:) also opted out of cruise control.

Last edited:
Opted out of Cruise control!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you completely lost your senses man? lol It is the best gadget everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

lol...its a supersports bike not a tourer. i have it in my car and van and still dont use it. i prefer the uncluttered look.:)

the grips are two renthal trottle grips and i removed the original rubber off the oe tubes. l/h is easy but the r/h is a right pain in the butt.

Last edited:
lol...its a supersports bike not a tourer. i have it in my car and van and still dont use it. i prefer the uncluttered look.:)

the grips are two renthal trottle grips and i removed the original rubber off the oe tubes. l/h is easy but the r/h is a right pain in the butt.

They look good man...

Latest posts

Back