BMW S1000RR Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trackday

Circuit: Silverstone GP
Air Temp: 14?C
Track Temp: 16?C
Weather / Track: Cloudy / Damp
Laps: 23
Best Lap: -

Trackday

This week's trackday instructing at Silverstone was altogether rather unpleasant. Track conditions were damp with a constant drizzle which just got worse as the day progressed. I lasted two full sighting laps on Metzeler Racetec RR race tyres before returning to the pits to rapidly fit wets before going straight out again. The general rule of thumb is you only need to fit wets if you can see spray coming off the tyres. The conditions were not really wet enough for wets or dry enough for race tyres which proved slightly problematic.

It also doesn't help that Silverstone's track surface is notorious for offering poor levels of grip in the damp/wet. The surface becomes quite greasy which makes it difficult to push hard in order to retain heat in the wet tyres and generate grip. Conversely if you go to slow you loose all heat in the tyres which makes it even harder to keep the bike upright. I only managed 23 laps, with six of those being sighting laps, and I didn't even bother turning on the lap timer. I don't mind riding in the wet... just not at Silverstone.

On a positive note I did get to try out both my new alpha Racing rearsets and Brembo calipers. I'm really pleased with the rearsets and didn't have to make any adjustments. That said I was only registering an indicated 43? of lean on the wet tyres so I was never going to have any issues with ground clearance. I suspect I will have to raise the foot rests when I'm next out on track in dry conditions. I'm really happy with them and the foot rests offer plenty of grip in the wet.

As for the Brembo GP4-RX calipers my first impressions are that they feel really consistent but to be honest I didn't apply the brakes all that hard as I didn't fancy lowsiding in the wet conditions. Especially as you don't want to be 'that' instructor that crashed! I'm not expecting night and day differences with the OEM calipers, as I'm using the same Brembo Z04 brake pads and Castrol SRF fluid, but it will be good to properly try them out in the dry.

Overall I can't really complain as ultimately it's more time on track and whatever the weather riding through Vale into Club and down the straight to Abbey is always enjoyable at Silverstone. That, and unlike my last trackday in the wet, both the bike and I remained shiny side up and returned in exactly the same condition as we left. Now to prepare the BMW for the next one...

Re: Race Tyres

I did wonder if it was due to the varying pace you are having to ride at, I appreciate what you are saying about the tyres being more than up to the job and i take what you say about the European tracks.

I am going to try some V02's shortly purely out of interest and it was to be honest a bit of a spur of the moment decision as I am getting them at ?260 delivered or else I would have stuck to treaded and gone for the Racetech RR's.

You won't regret it....

OEM Oil Filter Wrench

After multiple trackdays I've changed my S1000RR's oil today. For those that do their own oil and filter changes you can purchase an OEM oil filter wrench directly from BMW. The part # is 83 30 0 495 448.

alpha Racing

A few additions from alpha Racing have arrived today...

attachment.php

Last edited:
That van looks brilliant.. id so buy into the track thing full time if we had the choice up here.. id go as far as Mick and jack in road for track and get myself proper set up...shopfitted van..quality bike.. loaded up with good kit.. a la Ryans there... your write up are great mate... keep them coming... I might sell up and move to trackland !..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Knee Sliders

Knee down is nothing special. It's just a useful gauge for knowing how far you are leaning over on track.

alpha Racing

I've taken advantage of the weather this weekend and stripped and cleaned the bike following a very wet trackday at Silverstone. I've also fitted the very minor additions from alpha Racing...

Renthal Clean Grips

Purchased to protect the grips when securing the bike in the back on the van and to keep them clean when working on it.

alpha Racing Brake Reservoir Cover

Fitted simply to help stop brake fluid escaping in the event of a crash should the reservoir sustain any damage.

alpha Racing Paddock Stand Adapters

Cheap replacements for my existing adapters which have seen two full seasons of constant use and are now looking rather used.

alpha Racing Titanium Caliper Bolts

New bolts for my new Brembo calipers; albeit I have to admit that these are somewhat excessive. I can however now lock wire the calipers for additional safety on track. For those interested they weigh a total of 96g resulting in a rather pointless and minuscule weight saving of 88g... but they won't rust.

Latest posts

Back