Engine oil

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPlogger

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
For use on road would 300V motul 5W40 be the best oil to use for another year?
Bought it out of impulse along with OEM oil filter, plug washer and a K & N air filter after BMW have cancelled the annual service.
So I am doing the most important things myself.
Appreciate feedback, thanks.

dont bother with 300v its track oil that requires frequent changes - I change every 3-4 full trackdays

OE or Motul 7100 is more than enough for street

Last edited:
I have 8ltrs in the closet waiting for bright days unfortunately

No doubt 300v is suitable for road. Just expensive and requires more frequent changes, hence more $$$

Last edited:
Just use it, its the best.
Ester based oils break down least with shearing forces.

- Alex

Another shout for Motul 300v. I ride track and road and I?ll change 2-3 times a year depending on track use/ mileage.

used the 300v once - won't bother again the 7100 seems to last better

well the 7100 still looks nice and clean (red) after 4000 miles, whilst the 300v looked distinctly "dirty" after maybe 2000 i.e. it wasn't a nice green colour anymore

I've always thought it's better to see the oil discolouring. I'd rather the oil picked up all the contaminants in the engine, least then they aren't getting left behind in the engine when you drop the oil

I'm not oil expert, my thinking is that 300V is more track focused (high revs and etc) and hence should deteriorate much quickly vs. conventional oils. Hence different rate of discolouring.

Engine Oil

If your happy to use Motul 300V oil in a road bike then do so but there are probably cheaper alternatives more suited for road use. From experience Motul 300V does require replacing far more frequently as it?s a designed for race/track bikes. You can normally tell when it needs replacing as it starts to discolour and the change is normally evident just by looking through the oil sight glass. I use it but change my oil after every 3 or 4 trackdays and before and after every multi-day Euro event. It is expensive though but very good.

Motul rep on internet:

------

Myth: 300V is only used for racing

Truth:
Although Motul's 300V lineup is engineered for use on the track and is tailored for ultimate engine performance and protection under extreme conditions, *it is also suitable for use on the street.*

*What matters more is the viscosity*.

----

Use the right grade (5w40 Gen 3 manual)

Its a question of cost vs use case. Not suitability.
I agree its not worth the extra cost if you *don't already have it*, 7100 is better vfm for the road.

Ester based oils like 300v are the ones with the highest film strength they are ultimate in terms of protection. If you're seeing 12k rpm or more, regularly, its ideal. If you're usually not extending the engine beyond 10k then again vfm wise 7100 would do.

3-6000miles *road miles* have been done plenty of times, on 300v, according to anecdotal internet reviews which have shown no ill effects. How many cover more miles in a season, without a change?

It turns black because it has additives designed to clean the engine. So using and flushing it often is great for cleaning but clearly harder on the wallet. Colour change is not a gauge of if an oil needs changing. Smell and viscosity compared to unused would be better but not perfect.

I have read the additives in the oil are shorter lived than in 7100, but thats it, nothing beyond that statement. If its the ones that do cleaning then its not a surprise. 7100 doesn't have them, so it seems logical to presume so. Cleaning additives have nothing to do with film strength.

300v doesn't breakdown from shearing forces it survives the brutality of racing. So its likely only 'done' when its overloaded with contaminate. Overly rich fueling can end the life of oil early.

Don't bother reading American forums on engine oil (read one guy thinks it only last 300 miles).they have all been had by marketing. Can't separate 1960's mineral oil practice from 2020's Synthetic.

I'll buy your 300v if you don't want it though its got to be less than what Opie would charge

- Alex

If you have loads of oil change it more regular.... great info Alex and thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back