Jock in France

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted about my new RR without cruise and slick mode, I expected a bit of flak/ slander but nothing, do you think everyone agrees with me that cruise control on a bike is dangerous ???

As long as you?re happy with your bike that?s all that matters [emoji846]

I really enjoy both the slick/user mode and cruise control features on my Gen 3 RR. I think BMW have integrated the cruise control very well as it has a lockable switch to prevent unintentional operation. Furthermore, when the cruise control is operating any activation of the brakes or gear lever deactivate it, so to my mind it?s a safe system. Certainly not like the throttle locks of old

Thanks Huge,
What do you do with a schuberth on RR at speed when the visor mists up cos you can't just crack it open a bit ??? do you tie your feet to the footrests ??
LOL :distant:

I posted about my new RR without cruise and slick mode, I expected a bit of flak/ slander but nothing, do you think everyone agrees with me that cruise control on a bike is dangerous ???

Horses for courses...
IMO:
Cruise Control: If you're lashing around track or road, is not much use obv. I do use and really appreciate it on long journeys though. I'd fully expect to crash if I'm not aware of the bike's status and paying full attention to other road users, but that applies to any ride anyway.
Slick and User: I'm still getting my head around the bikes limits in race and sport and have never used them, might have a play one day.

No point stressing FOMO now it's bought, Moog. Enjoy it mate.

Alex,
I fitted the chip but slick does not come up in menu, only Rain, sport and race ????

Thanks Huge,
What do you do with a schuberth on RR at speed when the visor mists up cos you can't just crack it open a bit ??? do you tie your feet to the footrests ??
LOL :distant:

LoL indeed, and a good question Moog. I've got an antifog insert, but I do like to crack it open for permanent air flow, but as you infer, it fekkin flaps shut above 40.
Worse, and this demonstrates why Shuberths are designed for slow ass GS riders :eek-new:, if I'm making a "rapid entry" via a slip onto a fast road, I like to do a final quick life-saver over the shoulder, but the Shuberth doesn't like this and flaps open which is a bit of a shock at 100 (kmh, obv.). Hasn't broken off yet.
The reason I wear it, is because it's really quiet and I can't wear earplugs. Hence the stock exhaust too.

Alex,
I fitted the chip but slick does not come up in menu, only Rain, sport and race ????
Have you had the first service? It has to be enabled at the end of the running in period. Dealer has failed to enable it, if it's fitted correctly.

Furthermore, when the cruise control is operating any activation of the brakes or gear lever deactivate it, so to my mind it’s a safe system.

Rolling the throttle off past the point of resistance will also disengage the cruise control, I find it less aggressive on the bike to do it that way instead of touching the brake which has a more sudden effect.

Rolling the throttle off past the point of resistance will also disengage the cruise control, I find it less aggressive on the bike to do it that way instead of touching the brake which has a more sudden effect.

I?m not sure thats right on the RR, as the FBW throttle rolls off to the stop when you release it. I am unable to test though.

I?ve always clutch dabbed...to disengage.

- Sent from Mobile

Last edited:

I?ve never noticed that on the RR, will try it next ride! I usually just pull the clutch in or flick the switch

If you go out to your bike and try twisting the throttle slightly further beyond its neutral position as though you are decelerating you should feel it. Its a slightly springy action if that makes sense as then the throttle returns to neutral position. No need to have the key in or anything.

If you go out to your bike and try twisting the throttle slightly further beyond its neutral position as though you are decelerating you should feel it. Its a slightly springy action if that makes sense as then the throttle returns to neutral position. No need to have the key in or anything.

You?re absolutely right! Can?t believe I?ve never noticed this before, it?s literally like a firmly sprung bit of additional throttle travel.

Thanks for pointing this out, looking forward to testing very soon! [emoji16]

You’re absolutely right! Can’t believe I’ve never noticed this before, it’s literally like a firmly sprung bit of additional throttle travel.

Thanks for pointing this out, looking forward to testing very soon! [emoji16]

My pleasure oli, every day is a school day.

I'd have loved CC for my European trip last July, my wrist was killing me on those long stretches on the Autobahns and Motorways..

Stuart

I'd have loved CC for my European trip last July, my wrist was killing me on those long stretches on the Autobahns and Motorways..

Stuart
Well well, that was one of the reasons I did not like CC on The GS.

When travelling at speed in CC I would turn off CC with brake and the bike would rapidly slow down but with what soof is saying I could have prevented that with the throttle.

Latest posts

Back