HP Race ECU

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loupe

Reaction score
I'm reading various descriptions of what this actually does, I'm looking at the basic ECU which allows me to run a titanium Acrapovic full system. ( or that's my understanding of it)
Is this a plug in and play system or do I have to faff about changing the fuelling etc when it's installed?
I really don't have the knowledge or patience to do these set ups and hoping it's already set up when fitted.
Finally, when it's installed I then need an unlock code to activate it. I've been looking at various prices and I think the ECU and unlock is about ?800.
I know Ryan has one, but I'm throwing it out there on the forum for answers to my questions and any feedback.
As always, looking forward to reading your replies guys.
This is all adding up, all I wanted was race fairings!

For the 2015+ model a HP Race ECU does not exist. The standard OEM ECU is simply 'Race Enabled' by the use of an activation code. Once activated by a BMW dealership it then allows you to load further activation codes into the ECU which will enable the HP Race Power Kit (HP Racing Data Release and Mapping) and HP Race Calibration Kit. Once the codes are loaded the process is irreversible.

For older models, including the HP4, a separate HP Race ECU had to be purchased to allow this level of functionality.

Thanks,
Soooo, I'm looking to have the HP race power kit installed by the dealer so I can have the correct mapping for the full exhaust system.
Is this the kit that cost circa ?800?
Do I need to change this mapping or once it's installed just ride the thing?
Sorry if this sounds obvious but I'm not tech minded in the slightest.

HP Race Power Kit

The HP Race Power Kit includes a full Akrapovič HP Titanium Race Exhaust System, HP Race ECU Enabling, HP Racing Data Release and Mapping along with some other miscellaneous parts like blanking plugs. The cost is considerably more than ?800... and more like several thousand!

You can however fit an aftermarket Akrapovič full exhaust system and then go to your BMW dealership and have them 'Race Enable' your ECU and then load the HP Racing Data Release and Mapping. Expect to pay upwards of ?400. Once loaded no further mapping is required. You can refine it further by using a HP Race Calibration Kit but be prepared to budget a further ?1100 for the privilege and then paying for significant time on a Dyno to set it up.

HP Racing Data Release & Mapping

attachment.php

The Racing Data Release h
as numerous effects on the engine management parameters (injection quantity, ignition timing, etc) of the bike and on the assistance provided by the ABS and DTC systems. The full functional scope of the Racing Data Release is only available when the coding plug is installed and it is purely designed for race/track use.

There are significant changes in terms of engine management compared to the standard bike. In all four riding modes (RAIN, SPORT, RACE, SLICK) full engine power is now always available. This is in contrast with the standard bike where the principle is the sportier the mode you select, the more track orientated the riding characteristics will be. Whilst throttle response in all modes has been configured specifically for track use it remains slightly softer when RAIN mode is selected. That said USER mode is still available should I want to alter the standard riding mode configurations as before.

The ABS settings are now identical in SPORT, RACE and SLICK riding modes with them all having the same response as the latter. The ABS response in RAIN mode is now the same as the previous RACE mode but in this case the ABS remains active for the rear wheel. The function for rear wheel lift detection, when the bike is under heavy braking, is no longer active in any mode when the coding plug is inserted. ABS Pro is no longer applicable as its not relevant for track use.

The DTC settings differ significantly from those of the standard bike. The traction control response in all four riding modes is configured for riding on trackdays or racing. The focus is primarily on achieving fast lap times rather than on safety. Traction control is deactivated at slight angles of lean so that wheelies are now possible under acceleration when the bike is leant over and it is more susceptible to slides as the electronic intervention is much lower. This proves to be quite entertaining when getting on the throttle as early as possible when exiting corners. Most importantly, and what becomes immediately apparent, when turning on the ignition is you now have adjustable traction control (+7 to -7) in all riding modes. This for me is one of the best features of the HP Racing Data Release.

The HP Mapping is very good and increases both power and torque, particularly at midrange rpm. The whole fuelling system is now optimised for track use.

When fitting the HP Race Power Kit and enabling the associated racing data release and mapping you are required to sign a disclaimer by BMW. Essentially you are acknowledging the fact that you have fitted race equipment and ECU mapping to the bike and that it is no longer considered suitable for road use. In essence it becomes a race bike. The activation of the race function of the ECU cannot be reversed and is permanently reprogrammed as a constituent part of the HP Race Power Kit. The warranty is restricted as a result of installation. Recalls are still covered but if BMW deem that any major equipment failure is due to race use it is their discretion as to whether or not a claim against the warranty can be made. For me this is not an issue as I do not ride on the road. That and the stresses placed upon a motorcycle for trackday use is nowhere near that of race use so I do not envisage having any problems. Likewise my warranty has now expired.

Thanks guys,
Its just the race enable I'm looking for then. I've bought a titanium end can and will buy the headers when I have the other track kit together.

If you have a track or race only S1000RR then the HP option is by far the best way to go as the functionality that the data release alone offers is superb.

The BMW Part # for the HP Racing Data Release and Mapping is 13 61 8 522 450. Your BMW dealership may also refer to it as the 'HP Race Power Kit Unlock Code' to avoid any confusion. Once they download the VIN specific activation code they will then plug your bike into their diagnostic system. It will then enable the Race ECU and load the racing dataset and mapping. Once installed, and you have signed the disclaimer, that's all you need to do.

Thanks for the detailed info, there was so many different kits I wasn't sure what I was asking for.

HP Race Parts

No problem and I'm glad the information has been helpful. Ultimately you only need to purchase the HP race product listed in Post #9 and that will suffice. However, for the sake of completeness you may also want to order the following cheap BMW parts to compliment installation of your aftermarket Akrapovič exhaust system.

Exhaust Servo Plug Blanking Cap x2: 61 13 7 702 398
Lambda Sensor Plug Blanking Cap x2: 12 52 7 700 428
Exhaust Gasket x4: 18 51 8 542 088
BMW HP ECU Sticker: 71 60 7 708 659

That really is everything you need to know.

Re: HP Racing Data Release & Mapping

So, having just has this fitted and I now have the adjustable DTC setting for each mode, which to be honest was not expecting, this is for now a road bike in the majority with track in the future , am I correct in thinking that from the settings above I have lost most of the safety net? If so how or what is the safest mode, as to be honest commuting at the moment in cold, wet and occasionally frosty roads! Or does the -7 +7 give me the same range of traction control/wheelie control i had previously?

Uh and have I pretty much lost abs too? From what I can gather from above as long as I stick it in rain its the same as when I was in race which was my default mode anyway.

I was not asked to sign a disclaimer...If I remove the slick plug what happens?

Have a read of Post #5 of this thread and it should answer your questions. I personally would not have opted for the HP Racing Data Release & Mapping for a road going bike as it configures the S1000RR for track/race use. In short power delivery, ABS and traction control is all now permanently reprogrammed within the ECU to aid circuit riding and lap times. Removing the Slick Plug simply removes the ability to use USER mode which is now largely irrelevant anyway. I'm very surprised you were not asked to sign a disclaimer as the installation instructions on the BMW Repair and Service Manual require the owner to sign it prior to releasing the bike. You may want to check with your BMW dealership particularly as it does affect your warranty.

I was told by bmw that going down this route would make the bike illegal on public roads and as it is irreversible the bike can only then be used for track for the rest of its days. What did your insurer say about it? Gobsmacked that bmw havent explained any of this information to you, it isnt a standard workshop procedure that everyone has done and isnt cheap.

You are correct. As soon as the ECU is 'Race Enabled' by BMW and the HP Racing Data Release and Mapping is loaded, the bike is no longer homologated for road use. The entire process is irreversible and is why it is only suitable for track and race only bikes.

Dunno bout anyone else, I found this a good read..!

Cheers

Aye, as I've said before the knowledge on here is astounding regarding all the technical stuff to mod your bike, most of it is of no use to me as a road rider but interesting it is, no doubt.

Keep it up lads.

JimmyMac

Latest posts

Back