coming over from R1?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rewyr1

Hi all

Need some help !

Have had r1's now for 6 years, last changed from 04 to 08 in December 2010, the 08 R1 has never lived up to the 04, so to re ignite my passion for bikling (I have been riding now for 25+ years) I am considering coming over to the s1000RR.

I have a budget of £10K, so cant afford new.

I would like to go for red/white/blue

Have been reading lots of road reports, and know, that the media rave about the bike.

My question is how much different is this bike to my R1.

Will it restore my passion ? I think I know what the reply will be !

There is quite a difference
The bikes very flattering but can also scare you shitless
Think of a litre 600, and go have a go on one with no limiter

Why do people do this?

I mean why ask someone else how there experience is with a particular machine?

It's quite simple is this one many people can tell u many things, so why don't u just go and test ride one?

Doc

Ps. Scare u shitless?

Ive had r1's tuned to the nuts & the s1k as standard is better in some areas power, comfort, but not as nimble in the direction changes but you quickly adapt , and the brakes are just phenomenal. I find it as much as an animal as you want to make it... try one... take it up past 10 thou & you'll see what we're banging on about. Its much more forgiving than a r1 you can take more liberties and get away without it biting you in the arse..... I did a 350 mile round trip to cheddar gorge last week in one day i'd have never been able to do that on any of my r1's. :eek:

Makes me smile whenever i go in the garage, its like its saying, " come on azzole, lets play and see how big your cahoonas are this time"

hi rewyr1,

I had this 2005 R1 before i bought my S1000RR.

DSC00445.jpg

I sold the R1 to a mate and still get to ride it now and again and it always makes me smile. I'm not going to lie to you if i could of had a zero mileage version of that bike with another 20bhp i would have been a happy man that R1 was perfect. It handled so well i could put it just where i wanted it road or track and it never did anything unexpected - the brakes were great - the fueling was so precise & and it was so well balanced, my mrs even liked riding the R1 as the low seat height made it easy to handle and she said it was very confidence enspiring

I rode a couple of later (2008-2011) blades and really liked them so i seriously thought about buying the 2012 but it felt like a down grade or at best a sideways step from my R1 and for a a little bit extra i thought the BMW was worth it.

I'm very happy with my BMW but its taken a lot of fettling to get it right for me and its still not 100%, the fueling is crap low down the things like a bucking bronco trying to hold 30/40 mph on a steady throttle and i need to get the forks sorted for the track, apart from that its amazing, the electronics take some adjusting to but once you get to grips with them and put some trust in them you'll wonder why all bikes dont have it? As said test ride one and see what you think.

Latest posts

Back