number plate options

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docta13

THE BEAST
Reaction score
ok so i just swapped my plates about my vehicles, and now have a one line plate on the the bike, so my question is how has other people put there plates on the bike? i bought a 9.5x2 but still think its too big? offered it up today but still not to sure
cheers lads

A coppa friend of mine told me that their ANPR was unable to read the two row plates, but that was a few years ago so they might have fixed it by now.

DD

Sorry fella,should have been a little clearer.

So yes I had the same 9.5 x 2 and that was the warning he gave me. Since then I've been using a small two row plate the same width as the tyre which balances the rear end a treat with the added bonus that I've not been pulled for plate issues since.

There is a great stall at North Wield market (sat mornings) that makes up all manner of plate sizes/font/background etc for peanuts if your in the area.

I'm afraid it's got to be a one liner plate, I haven't got enough letters to make it 2!! Lol

Fair enough. If you've not enough letters for two rows 9.5 will be wayyy to wide. I always liked the 2" high though so perhaps narrowing it to the with of the tyre

I had mine in two rows, never got pulled for it in 2 years. :)

chris_ring_plate_zps097fa0d1.jpg

So I just got a single line 9 x 2 and it looks tiny!

What's the deal if one were to be pulled over...... just a fine right?

Am I right in thinking that they won't give you points?

Its the font size that is the issue not how many lines its on. The font has to be as it was from the dealer and the letter/number size should be as it left the showroom. If you want i can find the size. ANPR will rear the letters no matter what order they are in single row or one line above the other.

The penalty for a plate varies depending on where you are, it used to be a VDRS (get it changed Mot garage to stamp form and post the slip off within 14 days) Some go for a £60 fixed penalty notice no discretion. Some forces are now not letting the cop on the street make the decision but a person in an office who has not seen the plate make the decision.
Some cops may just have a word in your ear and send you on your way, i think this depends how small the plate is, and if the cops a biker. A had a cop on a bike pull a ruler out of his boot to measure the letters on my plate then use this as his evidence.

I like my plate to be seen- if the bike gets nicked i want a camera and cops to see the plate. ANPR would read a correct size plate if its too small it may not get a clear rear.

Ive not been pulled with this yet and a bike cop followed me for miles over at Devils bridge. They need to justify the overtime now though so I'm expecting a tax demand any day..sorry I meant fine.

plate_zpsda1eae9c.jpg

A 9x2 one liner is a definite no no, and if it is a private plate (i.e like 6UYS) and has italics then the police can pass this info
onto the DVLA who will give a warning first and then can take the number back regardless of how much you paid for it.

Its the font size that is the issue not how many lines its on. The font has to be as it was from the dealer and the letter/number size should be as it left the showroom. If you want i can find the size. ANPR will rear the letters no matter what order they are in single row or one line above the other.

This is not correct a motorcycle number plate has to have 2 lines to be legal.
Single line rear plates on motorcycles have never been legal. (Ref: bottom of page three of the DVLA PDF doc - link below)

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/media/pdf/leaflets/V796.ashx

This is not correct a motorcycle number plate has to have 2 lines to be legal.
Single line rear plates on motorcycles have never been legal. (Ref: bottom of page three of the DVLA PDF doc - link below)

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/media/pdf/leaflets/V796.ashx
was refering to the quote of anpr not reading a single line plate ANPR even tries to read street signs and fences so have no doubt it will read most plates

Listen lads. I'm not fussed if its legal or not, it's gonna be a one liner and that's that! If I get pulled then so be it. My original post was about a 9.5 x2 but I'm feeling going smaller to even out the back end.
Doc

Hi guys,

I've just fitted the d3 tail tidy and the standard legal plate size of 9x7 looks terrible. I was thinking of putting a smaller plate on but with the correct font, letter/no size and spacing.

any advice as I presume smaller than 9x7 is technically illegal?

I have a 6x4 on my modified R&G tail tidy. 2 years, never been pulled for the plate, when i have been pulled (twice) they never mentioned plate.

IMGA0311.jpg

Actually there is no legal size to a number plate. It is the font and height of the letters that matters. Then a correct gap between the edge of the letters/numbers to the edge of the plate. And the fact that motorbike plates have to be on 2 lines not 1. However to get these legal the plate works of about 9x7.
However I cant fit a 9x7 plate on my D3 extreme tail tidy and run an 8x6 plate. Again so far I've not had a problem.

Latest posts

Back