Worth upgrading 2nd gen to 2015 model?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 445

Reaction score
Went for a coffee in BMW garage today - looked at the 2015 and enquired about trade in on mine and deal on a 2015.

Their offer wasnt exactly good but it got me thinking of what its worth selling mine privately and making the jump, but...

Thing is - i totally love my 2013! Is it worth the hassle of selling mine and spending a bit more for the latest? Yes i know it's quicker, dynamic suspension - but who's done this move and thinks its worth it?

Cheers

Went for a coffee in BMW garage today - looked at the 2015 and enquired about trade in on mine and deal on a 2015.

Their offer wasnt exactly good but it got me thinking of what its worth selling mine privately and making the jump, but...

Thing is - i totally love my 2013! Is it worth the hassle of selling mine and spending a bit more for the latest? Yes i know it's quicker, dynamic suspension - but who's done this move and thinks its worth it?

Cheers

I changed from a 'sorted' 2010, massive jump....

I've decided to tart my 2012 up rather than upgrade. For the money spent I could have upgraded. But she's my RR now and I couldn't have done the same to an HP4 or MY15.

I'll revisit at the end of the PCP in 2017.

I nearly bought a 2015 r1m but the 2014 s1k came up nearly 8k cheaper. Tbf the r1m would be the only bike i would swap this bike for. I love the 14 and i hsve spent a lot of money getting it how i want, the 2015 s1k doesnt do it for me im afraid

My '10' is all i could ever want in a bike. I will likely not change for a very long time.

I nearly bought a 2015 r1m but the 2014 s1k came up nearly 8k cheaper. Tbf the r1m would be the only bike i would swap this bike for. I love the 14 and i hsve spent a lot of money getting it how i want, the 2015 s1k doesnt do it for me im afraid

I'm of the same opinion. If / when I change it won't b for another BM I've also spent more than I care to remember on my bike , and I am the sort of owner who tends to keep a bike more than 18 months. e.g. Still got R1 I purchased new in 1999 , added KTM 990 Superduke in 2010 purchased S100rr in 2011 now purchased KTM EXC 300. Still got room in garage for additions. Like they say you don't loose money until you sell so I'm quids in !! lol

I took my '13RR in for a service last Feb and was offered a test ride on a '15RR. After 2 hours I wasn't sure it was worth changing until I hopped back on my '13 bike for the ride back home. The '15 bike has a roomier riding position, the engine revs noticeably quicker and 'feels' pokier even if the numbers don't show much difference. The DDC for me wasn't immediately noticeable but show the bike a bumpy B road and suddenly you realise you've not noticed the bumps! The auto blipper makes the clutch redundant once your moving and allows you to focus even more on corner entry, the cruise control just makes life so much easier through average speed cameras and for trips on the motorway. So, a couple of weeks later I traded my '13RR in for a 1 month old '15RR sport and haven't look back since.

Moral of the story, don't ride a 15+ till you want to upgrade!

Last edited:
I changed from a 2011 to a 2015, although the 2011 was a brilliant bike the 2015 is sublime and a level above. Every time BMW bring out a new model you know it will be more superior than the outgoing model. E46 M3 was a great car but compared to the e92 m3 way behind, then compare the e92 m3 with the new m4, enough said. But like I said the 2011 rr is a brilliant bike.

The down blipper is worth all of the 17000 I paid for the bike, I will never ride a bike without one again..

Moral of the story, don't ride a 15+ till you want to upgrade!

Quite!

I had a session on an R1M whilst at Almeria with my '15-no blipper on the Yamaha took some getting used to.

It's the same as quickshifters-how did we manage without them?

Yes,,, im reading a lot of what i expected, the 15bike really does bring a lot more to the party! When i rode it i also recall how good the fly-by-wire was, with it's ease of delivery, it just inspires progression. Add to that the dynamic suspension, that you at first dont realise until you start to hussle it, and then you feel you have a steady platform to work with - inspires confidence via its feedback!!

Ive got to really think if i want to sell what is already an excellent bike, and just move on. I't just seems a little funny that im considering selling what is already an awesome bike....

May be i should take some photos and get it in the For Sale window to see what interest ill get?! If it's worth good dollar - then get on with upgrade i guess B)

can you out ride what you currently have? or are you just chasing a new shiny 2015? I looked at trading in my 2012 and I got a pants trade in offer at the end of my PCP so I kept it and paid it off.

can you out ride what you currently have? or are you just chasing a new shiny 2015? I looked at trading in my 2012 and I got a pants trade in offer at the end of my PCP so I kept it and paid it off.

I cant ride it to many of its limits - had the TC lighting up coming off a few corners last year, but with the time i spend on track each year, this current bike would be great for the foreseeable future.

But im not considering the 15 bike because it's there [and shiny], it's a serious proposition: for a little investment i could find myself with an improved bike, two years warranty, some nice added features i dont have... it's got to be considered.

Im just sitting on the fence wondering which way to jump

I couldn't out ride a '99 R1 I bought off ebay for ?1900 a few years ago, but if you adopted that mentality most people would never change their bike until the day they died! Of course cost comes into it and you have to weigh all that up, I got a great deal when I traded in my '13RR but that was with a dealer I already had a good relationship with but over the years I've found the best place to sell a bike is through ebay classifieds.

What something is 'worth' is subjective so to you - a few ?k on an upgrade of the bike to the gen 3 might be 'worth it' to have the newer bike with the few extra bits - Specifically cruise control and DDC. The other changes are significant but unless you really know your stuff it isn't going to make much of a difference. A correctly set up and dialled in 2nd gen bike is a formidable machine. Remember the 2015 TT when Dunlop went back to his 'old' bike to win? BMW kept that off the PR radar afterwards. The rider makes the difference, not the hardware.

I can only say from personal experience that if you 'totally love your 2013' then you will have regrets changing it now. When you are less in love, and fancy a change, then do it. :). Someone will then get your 'old' bike as a very nice bargain, and use it to lap you on TDs lol.

What something is 'worth' is subjective so to you - a few ?k on an upgrade of the bike to the gen 3 might be 'worth it' to have the newer bike with the few extra bits - Specifically cruise control and DDC. The other changes are significant but unless you really know your stuff it isn't going to make much of a difference. A correctly set up and dialled in 2nd gen bike is a formidable machine. Remember the 2015 TT when Dunlop went back to his 'old' bike to win? BMW kept that off the PR radar afterwards. The rider makes the difference, not the hardware.

I can only say from personal experience that if you 'totally love your 2013' then you will have regrets changing it now. When you are less in love, and fancy a change, then do it. :). Someone will then get your 'old' bike as a very nice bargain, and use it to lap you on TDs lol.
Good words chap - there i was at 60/40 for doing - now im 60/40 staying put!!

Thanks Darryl - I didn't mention the auto blipper with the quickshifter - which is also a very nice to have 'upgrade' from the 2nd gen and worthy of consideration as part of the upgrade thoughts.

Thanks Darryl - I didn't mention the auto blipper with the quickshifter - which is also a very nice to have 'upgrade' from the 2nd gen and worthy of consideration as part of the upgrade thoughts.
And now you have mentioned the autoblipper he is back to 50/50 hahahahaha

Latest posts

Back