Wiring Loom Replacement - Thoughts?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavey

Reaction score
Hi folks, has anyone had their wiring loom replaced by BMW? If so, did you experience any problems with the bike moving forward? Should I be concerned about any potential issues further down the line. Thoughts would be appreciated....Thanks ;)

Mine was replaced by ?Tim @ Lind? on my ?12.

Whilst it caused no issues going forwards, it wasn?t the fix I actually needed (think it was the gyro/abs).

If its BMW fitted it comes with warranty on the work so its no bother.

- Sent from Mobile

I had part of the loom replaced on my 15 quite recently due to chafing near the rear shock that was causing a shorting issue.

I?ve had no issues since and as Alex says any work carried out by BMW will be covered under warranty, so there is nothing to fear

Whats up with the bike for them to be changing the harness?
Hi Kenny, traction control is deactivating itself randomly.....the bike is a death trap....believe it or not this is the 2nd RR i've had with same problem! BMW UK head tech has spent some time with the bike trying to fix it but he can't find the problem.....so has suggested changing the whole loom??......Tbh i'd much rather he found the actual cause rather than clutching at straws?? I don't think i'll ever have confidence in the bike again not knowing exactly what caused it.

I had part of the loom replaced on my 15 quite recently due to chafing near the rear shock that was causing a shorting issue.
Hi Oli, thanks for your info....please could you tell me what the shorting issue was doing to the bike? Was it TC related? I did 3000 miles on mine without any issues, but the problem started when i went away with my girlfriend (and 20kg Ventura tail pack) for the first time. I did wonder whether the extra weight had started putting pressure on wiring near the rear shock?? Any thoughts would be appreciated ;) Cheers

Hi Oli, thanks for your info....please could you tell me what the shorting issue was doing to the bike? Was it TC related? I did 3000 miles on mine without any issues, but the problem started when i went away with my girlfriend (and 20kg Ventura tail pack) for the first time. I did wonder whether the extra weight had started putting pressure on wiring near the rear shock?? Any thoughts would be appreciated ;) Cheers

Hi Cavey, no worries, my bike had no issues at all until I cleaned the bike and heard a slight crackling noise followed by some smouldering by the wire located near to the rear shock/sub frame. This had happened without the ignition on so the bike was collected by BMW roadside assistance and subsequently the damaged part of the loom was replaced.
It was a result of chafing causing the outer sheath to wear through, and occurred at roughly 37 K miles.

Although I haven?t experienced the TC issues you describe, Michael Neeves (the MCN road tester/club racer) had a bizarre TC issue with his 15 RR race bike a while ago.
He had the TC intervening whilst the bike was going in a straight line intermittently, the problem, a chafed loom

Latest posts

Back