Wind protection - Seat height

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMER15

Reaction score
Hi All, I currently ride a 2014 Triumph Street Triple and love it to bits but god it's tiring if you're doing higher speed riding (60mph+) a lot. I have always wanted an S1000rr since they were released but wondered how you guys would describe the wind protection of these bikes. I'm a short ass too (5'6") so this has an effect on where the wind blast catches you. Also any other short ass riders riding a S1000rr, how do you find it ??
Cheers
Jimmer

take one out for a spin..... different people have different riding positions...

you can always go and change the screen for a double bubble, etc....

See you back on the forum once you have put your deposit down :shadow:

Hi Jimmer,
We appreciate all new members but we do require you to post in the Welcome Section to say hello initially, so that we can greenlight your account.

A member on here gutted his seat to make it lower - but there's no other adjustment options. There are standard height and 'double bubble' taller screens to get the wind off and over you. Coming from a Naked too I can tell you that anything is an improvement over them at 60+!

Last edited:
i noticed a substantial improvement in wind protection going from an S10000R (bit like a street triple?) to an RR, but riding position is obviously a lot lower on the RR so possibly not quite as comfortable on long journeys?? I'd recommend a long test ride! :) ....personally i'm having so much fun on the RR that i barely notice any discomfort! :triumphant:

Hi All, I currently ride a 2014 Triumph Street Triple and love it to bits but god it's tiring if you're doing higher speed riding (60mph+) a lot. I have always wanted an S1000rr since they were released but wondered how you guys would describe the wind protection of these bikes. I'm a short ass too (5'6") so this has an effect on where the wind blast catches you. Also any other short ass riders riding a S1000rr, how do you find it ??
Cheers
Jimmer

At your height and with a db screen I would think you would be fine until doing higher speed riding at 160mph+

Hi Jimmy

I'm about the same height as yourself. The RR is comfortable and with a double bubble screen the wind blast is fine up to progressive speeds. Head buffeting at motorway speeds is minimal (as in barely noticeable) and moving to a crouch eliminates it completely.

Adjusting from a Honda NC (daily commute) to the RR does occasionally find the knees got a little cramped with the standard footpegs until muscle memory sorts itself out. I've since got HP rearsets which help with this.

Seat height is better than my previous ZX-10R. I can't get both feet flat at the same time, but it's not an all out tiptoe. It seems like sportsbikes are designed for people with long legs at a standstill and short ones when moving. To be honest, the NC with a lower seat isn't much easier because the footpegs are in the worst place when you need to put a foot down.

My only two gripes about the bike are:
1) I don't think it sounds as good as my Kwak did
2) The RR is just too damn good. I'm often disappointed that I'm not riding it hard enough because I could have been a lot quicker round that last bend. Maybe this is a good thing because having a safety margin when you need it is always handy.

Simon

Cheers
Jimmer

Round about same height as me , I'm just back from the TT and I do the sunny Sunday riding here. The standard screen is fine for here but it wasn't the best on the haul down and back from the ferry. Next time I go away I'll invest in a db screen before I go.

Hey, I'm in the wee guy club too.
You will get on fine with the RR and the standard screen is ok for normal riding. I have a higher screen and swapped it back to the standard one, yes its very noticeable when you're nipping on so I'll change it again.
The bike feels so light on the move you won't have any problems throwing it about.

Latest posts

Back