Whoopsie !!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper

Reaction score
So I spent this morning at a No Limits Track Day at Brands. I wasn't riding, just there helping out a few mates. Anyway, this guy rocks up onc a 12 plate S1000RR in Red and White and parks in our garage. He's a friend of one of my pals who Is here for the track day too. Was chatting away to him about the bike etc, he's only picked it up brand new from the dealer in March. He's come from a GSXR 750.

Anyway, he's in the infers group, goes out, does one sighting lap, starts the second and I don't see him again. Turns out he's lost the front going in to Grahame Hill bend.... Top fairing smashed all the left hand side scraped, tank scraped, brake lever bent, indicators gone. To add insult to injury, as the bike hit the rumble strip it flipped over and done the other side too. Not as much damage but enough......

Felt really bad for him, he was a really nice guy on his first TD on the BM.

Moral of the story is ...... REMBMBER TO WARM YOUR TYRES !!!!

I dont know why but whenever i do trackdays (fast group) theres allways the dickhead that bins it on the 1st lap of the session, thats why i always join the pitlane last, let em get on with it but trouble is it cocks the session up for the rest.

Some people get soo wound up with adrenalin it's unbelievable. Whilst I'm leading the sighting laps, Iv had punters try to overtake etc. Some people need to calm it down a notch..

i always take it easy first 1-2 laps even with tyre warmers take it easy. its mental people just shoot
past but im in no rush then when its warm and u feel better. its on they soon see how good our bikes are.

poor guy guess it would pay to get track fairings

It's always the best way to warm everything up first. Tyres, yourself etc.

The guy asked me to get him some race fairings after his off. Horse and bolt come to mind lol

That's why I waited for tyres to get warm before I even thought about giving it the beans! You've got plenty of time,no need rushing,feel bad for the guy. All I got off people on my track day was oh you shouldn't bring that on here,what if you fall? Well it's no worse on the track than on the street,I'd say the track was safer! And most offs are down to rider error. Know your limits,that's why I'll always be a Rookie ;,) and never think about being the next Rossi!

Boardsofnorfolk link=topic=1513.msg14438#msg14438 date=1349694120 said:
That's why I waited for tyres to get warm before I even thought about giving it the beans! You've got plenty of time,no need rushing,feel bad for the guy. All I got off people on my track day was oh you shouldn't bring that on here,what if you fall? Well it's no worse on the track than on the street,I'd say the track was safer! And most offs are down to rider error. Know your limits,that's why I'll always be a Rookie ;,) and never think about being the next Rossi!

Well said mate. No one goes to a track day with the intention if crashing. The track is much safer than the roads

:)

You can get race bike insurance which is worth it's weight in gold.

Boardsofnorfolk link=topic=1513.msg14438#msg14438 date=1349694120 said:
Agreed, one thing riding on the road and the track have in common is they are both about smiles on faces not bragging rights. smiles on the road are more frequent but smiles on the track are much f@@@ing BIGGER

I haven't had a smile on the road in years. Doesn't do anything for me. Wish it did, but it doesn't.

;D

Hopper link=topic=1513.msg14470#msg14470 date=1349716010 said:
I haven't had a smile on the road in years. Doesn't do anything for me. Wish it did, but it doesn't.

;D
since my last track day Russ,I've not been out on the bike! Don't feel the urge to go out now,just looking forward to next year when I can laugh my arse off around the track!

You got the bug now bud lol.

When I started TD's about 10 years ago, I found myself trying to replicate the same buz I was getting on track on the roads. I was 21 on a brand new 636 ninja. I was gonna hurt myself if I didn't give up the road riding. So I gave it up and just road on the track. Haven't looked back since

Hopper link=topic=1513.msg14472#msg14472 date=1349716470 said:
You got the bug now bud lol.

When I started TD's about 10 years ago, I found myself trying to replicate the same buz I was getting on track on the roads. I was 21 on a brand new 636 ninja. I was gonna hurt myself if I didn't give up the road riding. So I gave it up and just road on the track. Haven't looked back since
Thats how I feel mate! It was one of the reasons I thought about the track,was speeding on the roads a lot,and would think wtf am I doing? Don't want to hit anyone or hurt myself. It's possible I'll strip mine back and get some racing fairings,but I'll sort that out with you next year Russ ok ;,)

Your right about the speeding thing bud. These S1000's are rocket ship. No good for the road really. I need my licence for work. No licence no job. And befor anyone say "we'll don't break the speed limit" I cant ride sensibly on the road and I know it. Best thing to do is avoid it.

I'll sort you out some bits. Just let me know what you want nearer the time ;)

simon d link=topic=1513.msg14476#msg14476 date=1349717155 said:
Ya cant turn that mint bike into a track whore Lioyd its toooo nice ;)

Yes you can... I wheeled my straight out the show room on a Thursday. It was on circuit on Monday... Go for it mate

Me too, gonna spend the winter sorting out for the track and get a sports tourer for 2up trips etc. No real enjoyment nowadays on the road, diesal, gravel, caged dickheads and of course the mental strain looking for her majesties servants governing our speed limits.... :mad:

Must admit that have tried track day and didn't float my boat. Even in novice group too many twats piling up your inside into corners and then binning it in front of you. They might be riding old bikes specifically for track and not too fussed about crashing.

Latest posts

Back