Vibration through bars

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm by no means an expert but the vibes are coming from the motor so it's got to be nigh on impossible to cure hasn't it? Unless you can somehow isolate the vibes from the frame?? Interesting that someone who has a Panigale mentioned that the vibes are really bad and this is a bike where the motor is effectively the frame too, so any vibes generated by the motor are going to be felt throughout the whole bike.

Agree, read on this forum there is no balancer shaft on the engine and that cranks have been changed but not sure when
Retorqing engine bolts made no difference.

i try to adjust my seating position slightly, grip a bit more with my legs sit a little bit more upright trying to take the weight of my arms. helps me

Do you ever think that we become fixated with stuff like this and it's not really a problem we notice until someone mentions it ?

I have a Panigale and a S1K, ride both lots, focus on my riding and don't even notice any vibration.

S1K has Harris Clip ons, no bar end weights, and no vibration that I notice.
Maybe the answer is don't start the engine and just look at the bike. Then again....

Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough.

Do you ever think that we become fixated with stuff like this and it's not really a problem we notice until someone mentions it ?

not really fella, this can be a problem that gets on ya tits so much some people will sell their bikes cos of it

Niven - it was a real problem for me. After an hour on the bike my hands would be numb, and as I tend to go out for the full day I was suffering with it. Different bar ends helped me enjoy the bike more - trust me - I wouldn't spend good money on bar ends for cosmetic reasons!!

I've seen this stuff come up time and time again can honestly say I've never noticed a problem, at the end of the day a bike is a machine, with countless moving components rotating at thousands of rpm, these are primarily built for racing and comfort don't really come into it, it's inevitable that some kind of vibes will be present.

Guys, as someone who also suffered from tingly hands after a ride on several bikes CBR600, ZX6R, Fireblade, S1K, I did a lot of research on the matter. I rode a lot of other bikes, including a GSXR1000 which the owner said was like a sewing machine - more like a steam engine compared to my Blade, which was silky in comparison. There are scientific papers on the subject out in Google Land. It is all to do with resonance created by the frame, engine, gearbox, suspension, and the rider, and there is very little you can do to fix the root cause, unless you have access to the sort of engineering resources that MotoGP use (and even they get rid of chatter which is closely related).

Heavier bar ends do help. Bar risers can be very effective as can rubber mounts under your wing mirrors. BUT it all depends on a zillion factors and finding the fix (which may involve several areas of the bike) is nigh on impossible.

In the end I realised the problem with my bike was actually me. My mate rode my bike and said no vibes. Odd, as I was convinced the thing was shaking itself to bits - just goes to show how we can exaggerate the problem in our minds.

In the end my left hand went completely numb (and do mean completely - I cut myself and didn't realise until I saw the blood dripping on the floor). I was suffering from very inflamed nerves in my left wrist and ended up with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (no doubt brought on by the vibes). It was so bad I had to have surgery and guess what - no more vibes !!!!!!!!

Obviously body modification might be viewed by one as extreme, but not for me. :))

Last edited:
Can't believe some of the comments on this suggesting it's in the mind what a load of tosh.At 4000 rpm the vibration is definitely there below and above is fine but it's not a figment of my imagination that's for sure.

In any of the top gears 4k rpm is around 45-55 mph I believe. I don't spend much time travelling at that speed so the vibrations were there but not an issue. A couple of weeks ago I went for a short trip with another rider who never went over 70 and being in that 4k rpm band most of the day was pure hell, never again. Anyone riding about on a sports bike at sub 60 for any length of time is going to find it hard on the wrists and hands, that would surely amplify the problem?

agreed, I suffered a couple of broken wrists from back in motocross / mountain biking days, mine aches time to time and becomes painful, but you right if your pottering around on a sports bike it becomes a problem, if I'm riding quicker it's not a problem, I've not got enough time to think about it and I'm more focused on the next corner! plus the added wind resistance is a big help and takes pressure off, which reminds me I must order some stomp grips today!!

I have been trying lower tyre pressures for the crack and i got some bad vibes, made my hands go numb, went back up on the pressures and vibes went away, maybe play with the psi for a laugh and see if it helps.

Latest posts

Back