Valencia MotoGP Road trip

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a trip of a lifetime. Hears me having doubts about a trip to the costwoulds in November because it will be a bit "chilly", best man up me thinks.

******* hell jimmy. I did the Pyrennes in September and 4-6000 feet altitude was normal, not surprising the snow is falling. Doing those roads in 32c heat took some concentration and skill, you are bloody mad in those conditions. Good luck.

Hi lads and lassies, I'm back, where was I?

Oh the tunnel, recovery man parks about 200 metres from the mouth of the tunnel and we get the bike off and load the panniers, must admit I'm a little apprehensive about the grip between me and the tunnel as the snow is about a foot deep and the ice under it is invisible.

We say out goodbyes and he slaps me on the shoulder calling me a crazy bastard and we laugh. I'm glad that I can see where I'm going now as my visor and gloves were dried in the cab of the truck whilst I was being ferried around. The bike slips and slides all the way towards the dry tunnel and I am aware of my dashlight flashing but can't read it cause it's thick with snow. Finally I'm in and the road dries, wheew! I can relax for the next 4.9km in the tunnel. I wipe away the snow to see that it's the temp warning light that's on telling me it's -3.5c, half way through the tunnel and it's up to 6c and I'm happy.
As I exit the tunnel I can see it's still snowing but much less and the temp. is at 2c but I'm on a steep descent and am praying to keep upright. After about 10 miles of sheer terror knowing how sore another fall would be the road is clear and the temp is holding steady at 6c and I feel like I've won the lottery.
Barcelona is 160 km away but I'm dry warm and upright which is a big win after the day I've had.
I see a Catalan flag and smile.

a869fcfb31d2e3b643d6386e59a5504f.jpg

I reach Barcelona in a 8pm rush hour and I am thinking of where to stay. Sitting in the 7th lane of merging roads in the middle of the city at 75mph my engine suddenly dies, WTF.
I pull the clutch and try to restart but no good, I whack on the hazard lights and start to more over into the right lanes one at a time, my heart is in my mouth as I realise that all the lanes are moving around the same speed and I'm freewheeling like a fat disabled turkey looking at a thousand hungry men with guns.
Narrowly avoiding all the motors, it was nose to tail in all lanes, I manage to get to the side of the road. I've had GS's for 7 years and they almost never break down, no fuel is the normal problem. I look at the dash and I've ridden 210 from filling up and I know I get 330 miles from a tank so it can't be that. I try to start her and it sounds like there is no fuel so I pour in the 3 litres I carry and boom, starts first time.
I'm off again and head straight for a petrol station where the bike drinks 30 litres in a oner and I refill my spare tank. I work out that when she was lying down in France it leaked out 10 litres of fuel before I got her up, vastly reducing my range.
I bang into hotels.com and decide on two nights of luxury to settle myself back into the trip.
Pleasantly surprised at the hotel view and I settle in for the night.

9cb86fbfc6b1b296db03da946ba2172a.jpg

247c3d75b9cc6acf0d5653f5c08cafac.jpg

My back is sore, right elbow and right arsecheek bruised and I know I will be worse in the morning.

JimmyMac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the messages lads I feel like youse are all here with me.
Freudy, it is purely the altitude that drooped the temp, it was 17c today in Barcelona Marina.

RR, I'm nearly there hope the kids are enjoying themselves as much as me.

Banana, at these temps my balls are as big as garden peas, lol.

TripleJimmy, get a Goretex scarf, you'll be fine.

Soofy, cheers for the encouragement, summer ascents are for amateurs, lol. For "amateur" read sensible riders who actually want to get to their hotel.

Alex, it is warmer now and I'm demanding it stays this way to I'll want my money back from Ryan air, ooh, wait a minute?

JimmyMac

Ah dude, sounds like you are have an adventure ... and some.... i guess it to late to say keep it rubber side up, but looking at the pictures, I feel that I am too late. What are you planning to do on the way back...? Ferry from Santander? The way the points are going into the last race, for sure you are in for a real treat.... Say Hi to #93 from me..... (let the slagging off begin)

Cheers Amit, I feel like I am woosing out and now plan to get the ferry from Santander on Thursday night, was originally planning to go back via France or Switzerland, Germany way but I know when my body needs a rest and my hip is quite sore after its Tarmac slapping.

#93, each to their own, that what keeps the world from being boring. Just spoke to Beavis on the phone and I reckon Marquez might not finish the race. But we shall see on Sunday.

JimmyMac

Have you ever met a more attention seeking person in all your life ? There someone else's photo's and the story was published in MCN 5 years ago !!!

Take care mate , and hope Dovi wins , fingers crossed :)

Have you ever met a more attention seeking person in all your life ? There someone else's photo's and the story was published in MCN 5 years ago !!!

Take care mate , and hope Dovi wins , fingers crossed :)

Dunc, you've lost me pal. What photos and story?

Now in Benidorm, lol.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
Can't honestly see Marquez not doing enough to win the world championship , especially from pole. Hope I'm wrong though.

Jesus Jimmy and I thought my summer holiday to Germany and France was bad... Dunno if Id be coming back that way right enough... take care mate.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just back from the racing, what a day, ehh?

Met a couple from Oban Stuart that own a seafood restaurant at the ferry terminal. Nice folk.

Will update this later as I want to keep a good record of the trip.

JimmyMac

I've just read your thread, what an adventure!
You seem to take everything in your stride where others would be flapping.
Really enjoyed your descriptions and laughed at several of your moments.
The atmosphere at the track would have been amazing, great you got to soak it all up.
looking forward to the next instalment :smile-new:

I've just booked Valencia for next year - 4 of us in the Azul grandstand (pfft,, dedicated uncomfortable exposed seating area opposite the bogs). Accommodation booked in Valencia city too. I blame you Jimmy for lighting my Valencia fuse again ( Thanks! :D )

Just back from the racing, what a day, ehh?

Met a couple from Oban Stuart that own a seafood restaurant at the ferry terminal. Nice folk.

Will update this later as I want to keep a good record of the trip.

JimmyMac
Amazing day for you Jimmy.. any idea what one...there is a seafood restaurant above where the green shack is wonder if it's that one ? Small bloody world right enough !..

Amazing day for you Jimmy.. any idea what one...there is a seafood restaurant above where the green shack is wonder if it's that one ? Small bloody world right enough !..

Just about to set off again heading west but no idea where I will be tonight, best way.

Its called the Seafood Temple Stuart, the owners are Chris and Ayleah. Very nice folk, will definitely pop in to say hello to them but I neglected to tell them I can't eat seafood, their website gives a wee video of them preparing the food.

Hopefully have time to update the trip tonight before my old brain forgets where I've been.

JimmyMac

Dont' know if you'll get that far but I stayed in Aracena at the Convento and it was very nice :). The road from there across to Portugal is a good ride too.

Latest posts

Back