Useless rear hugger

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kipperfish

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I had to ride home after a downpour the other day and the tail and exhaust of my bike were completely filthy.
Does anyone know if any of the aftermarket huggers are any bigger / provide more protection?

first thing I done was fit my carbon hugger without the hole in it before I rode the bike, I bought it from the guy on here that was making them but I think he stopped now

I would be interested to know what people recommend as well.....Thanks

http://www.kingcarbon.co.uk/BMW-rear-huggers/

Tthere is this company for a hugger, ?115. GB Moto do them but it has the hole in. Thinking on though, if you were to do lashings of carbon on a bike, should it not be sourced from the same manufacturer? wouldn't the carbon look or weave be different if it was a mix of parts from different companies?

I believe there are some unhappy people regarding Powerbronze with quality and service, only what I learn't from the Fireblade forum. I bought a carbon chain gaurd from them and it was good and fitted well.

Agree my HP4 Carbon was ?21000 on the road and came with a crappy piece of plastic hugger, had to go , shelled out another ?270 on a ilmberger carbon one ( excuse the spelling ) very nice tho

?224 is a bit rich for me too.

One of the things that I'm finding really annoying is that none of the sellers of the huggers seem to publish the dimensions.
So I can't even tell if they will prevent more road grime from being applied to the rear of the bike.

Does anyone have first hand experience of the Powerbronze stuff?

I thought "thompsp" has a really good idea here, to utilise the standard hugger but solve the issue of stones flicking up. Hope you don't mind me using your pic thompsp!

The Powerbronze huggers dimensions are 410x290x110, which they confirmed means it is 410mm long (so away from the mounting point behind the shock) and 290mm at its widest.

?224 is a bit rich for me too.

One of the things that I'm finding really annoying is that none of the sellers of the huggers seem to publish the dimensions.
So I can't even tell if they will prevent more road grime from being applied to the rear of the bike.

Does anyone have first hand experience of the Powerbronze stuff?

You will get most of your money back on the ilmberger if you sell it on one day. It is the same as the BMW CF stuff, so you are putting the 'proper' stuff on the bike. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the other brands, just that if you drop ?15-16k whatever on a bike, skimping a few quid on the bits that stand out seems uneconomical to me. Personally I put Ilmberger CF only on my bikes, it will always fit correctly and the quality and durability is excellent.

As for keeping the tail clean... No. It keeps the rubbish off the rear shock and the swing arm joint area but you will still get dirt on the underside of the rear section up to the abs box. You would need a long lip on a rear hugger to keep everything off.

@Alien - the mesh only stops stones, but the crud still gets through so it doesn't deal with the problem.

skimping a few quid on the bits that stand out seems uneconomical to me.

I hear you, my bank manager doesn't! I spent the last of the cash that I could get away with on the HP levers and rearsets, any gorgeous carbon fibre will have to wait unfortunately.
I've ordered the Powerbronze hugger so will report back with how it fits and some pics.

I hear you, my bank manager doesn't! I spent the last of the cash that I could get away with on the HP levers and rearsets, any gorgeous carbon fibre will have to wait unfortunately.
I've ordered the Powerbronze hugger so will report back with how it fits and some pics.

Fair enough, too true!

I thought "thompsp" has a really good idea here, to utilise the standard hugger but solve the issue of stones flicking up. Hope you don't mind me using your pic thompsp!
I like this... now to find a paper bin :wink-new:

I was looking at Power Bronze, is this one that you guys would recommend?

My mate had a powerbronze hugger on his 2012 and in my opinion it was feckin horrible, really didn't suit the bike. Quality seemed ok though. It does seem difficult to find a decent looking hugger thats larger than standard for reasonable money though for some reason

Knew I should've gone on Dragon's Den and taken out a patent!
I can confirm that it has worked a treat for me and is still doing a good job 2 years later. When I take the hugger off, you clearly see how much dirt and grime it stops coming through, but more than that, I have no paint chips under my tail section :)

Knew I should've gone on Dragon's Den and taken out a patent!
I can confirm that it has worked a treat for me and is still doing a good job 2 years later. When I take the hugger off, you clearly see how much dirt and grime it stops coming through, but more than that, I have no paint chips under my tail section :)

Phew! No lawsuit just yet then!

Latest posts

Back