Urgent 2012 owners please read!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's unlikely they will have laid down new tooling for each years bike
The chinky sump and wheels are proper shite .......... Pay peanuts get monkeys.......
I remember reading about the bearing issue before

Last edited:
After reading this thought i would pop in the garage and give mine a once over, its now booked in on friday for service side stand bolts and to check out why the carrier is moving front to back and side to side. I dont know if it was just me not being on the bike for a bit but it just didnt feel right last time i was out on it so maybe this could be the issue?

Not really happy tbh as the bike has 1600 miles on it less than a year old and its becoming pretty obviouse that although the performance of the thing is top notch the build quality isnt, i fully understand all bikes have problems but it just seems that there are to many little niggly bits on the bike for so little use

Chased my dealer again this morning, allegedly they have replaced the rear wheel (not the sprocket carrier) and it hasn't made a difference. It would appear there are quite a few dodgy wheels out there still, or the carrier is at fault. Surprise surprise! Told them they have three days to get it sorted! They've had the bike a month, not happy!

I popped in my local dealer yesterday and had a chat with the sales manager, he said my name was shit with the nationwide BM motorrad managers due to mentioning this problem on this forum. Allegedly every man and his parrot are bringing in 2012 S1000rrs with play in the sprocket carriers and asking for it to be looked at. Well all I can say is good. I brought it to the attention of the owners because if left unchecked it could have serious consequences. By the way, since my wheel swap my bike is spot on, 500 miles on and counting.

Quite right too !! Thanks from all of us - will be making sure mine gets looked at properly as soon as I decide where can be trusted to do a basic first annual service,everything seems ok so far with 4k on,(apart from usual rusting of chain face despite rigorous cleaning and looking like sump too.....) , you are to be applauded for seeing it through and making yourself heard to an eventual satisfactory conclusion .Why , as a premium rate product distributor would they want to bury their heads in the sand and try to ignore this very serious issue?.......aaaah yes...... the money and the slur on the "quality" brand.......... Need to up their game and standards on many fronts- cheers from me mate, Graham.

Many thanks Graham, I accompanied a friend off this site to a dealer yesterday to give some moral support. Again they stated that they hadnt heard of any problems and nearly choked on there brews when told them about my wheel swap. They changed their view after I had pointed out the carrier/spacer part number has changed and the previous number is now unavailable. The fact that it was the wheel bearing position on mine that had caused the problem may be a one off but I doubt it. To be fair my friends bike doesnt display as much wear/movement as mine had so he may not be eligible for any major rework. He will probably be along on this thread to update his experiences.

Im a new owner of a 2012 s1000rr and ive been riding less than a year and admit i no very little about the bikes build i justvloved the bikes looks and wm taking my time getting to no the bike and improving my riding. can someone please help me out and tell me how i can check for this problem its worried me a little. My dealer says he knows no recall for this problem yet.

just grab hold of your rear sprocket and try to waddle it from side to side and see if there is any play in it

Dont worry about it rich, Like cally said just stick your bike on its paddock stand and grab the rear sprocket. Try to move in out in left and right (it will move inside the chain links. If it moves a lot ie very noticeable take it in to the dealer who will be obliged to sort it out. If the movement is negligible they might fob you off (as any business would to be fair) as BMW will not pay for any repairs unless there is over 1.5mm of lateral play.

Last edited:
Bike went in for 1st years service with approx 2000 miles on it. Got it 2nd hand with 1800 miles on. Mentioned earlier in this thread that my sprocket has movement. Dealer agreed & ordered bearing. Was going to pick it up tomoz but had phone call from dealer today stating that they've found a problem with the carrier when trying to fit new bearing. Carrier is on back order so probably won't get bike tomoz but he mentioned that carrier had been changed & has different part number.
He did mention that my wheels were the old style ones - not a clue what that means or how it might affect things? Why do BMW need to keep changing things?

Fingers crossed that's all it needs as I've already had to cancel a trackday because of this.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention as i'm not sure dealer would have checked if i'd not mentioned it

Hi Graham,

Barrie Robson, York.

BMW seemed to have pulled there finger out as part turned up today even though classed as on back order & bike is back with me. Rear hub, bearing & both spacers have been replaced. Thing feels solid now compared to before. I'll just monitor it for a while & see what happens.

Cheers
Paul

Cheers Paul, appreciate that - shall be hoping for a thorough check over at Souhport Superbikes. Booked in there next week, got a fairly healthy checklist ready for them, with side stand, sump, sprocket carrier etc all documented..... But in fairness, no apparent issues with bike at all so far.....just good to know the foibles thrown up so far are seeming to be dealt with now for most..... Take care Paul, may see you down at Doni for NL , was down at Hottrax klast weekend, saw Bullet, Mark Mac etc asked after you...

Update from me. Took it in to the dealers for service and apparently mine was the same as every other bike int he workshop so thought fine don't moan and see if it gets worse. Anyway changed me rear tyre today and the amount of movement in the rear carrier is ridiculous i'd say a good 2-3mm in and out and about the same front and back so going to get on the phone in the morning and see what they say.

Would have thought a recall notice would have been issued on the sprocket carrier / wheel issue by now, but hey, the repair cost is a tad higher than a side stand bolt! Funny how the majority of main dealers allegedly get the same response by BMW DE, that's it's the first they've heard of it, what a load of bo**ocks!

Anyway, let us know how you get on Alps Pacino.

Went up there today and in all fairness there 0 mile bike in the show room had a bit of play but not as much as mine and another bike with 5k had the same as mine. Like I said it doesn't mean that ours are ok cause they are the same. Movement in the direction of the chain I can understand but not movement towards the wheel and swingarm, surely there is something wrong if the whole carrier is moving from side to side. Will wait and see what they say but I think something isn't quiet right somewhere. There seems to be more vibration coming through the pegs and set than I have ever had before as well but that could be anything I suppose.

Cant fault the dealer good bunch of blokes but think bmw need to man up and look at it a bit more in depth

Update BMW uk say its within tolerance so wont be doing anything about it. Going in the garage now to take it off and have a proper look at it myself cause i'm not 100% confident there isn't anything wrong. Not much fun riding a bike you think has a problem with the rear end.

Mine has gone from totally solid to movement again with very few miles on it.
Sprocket carrier a couple of mm in direction of chain which I can understand although it didn't straight after service. It also wobbles side to side but does not move laterally in direction of swingarm or wheel.

Who knows whether it's in tolerance or not. I am wondering whether it's worth getting an older carrier off ebay or hang the expense & get aftermarket wheels with real cush drives.

I had my rear sprocket carrier changed a couple of months ago, was noticed when it went in for a service (2012 model) along with the Side stand bolt recall and also to have my indicator switch gear replaced (stopped working for r/h indicating). don't get me wrong...I love my Beemer...but I never had as many problems with my Yamaha R1s????

Latest posts

Back