Tyres & Tyre Warmers

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty5364

Reaction score
Hi All,

Help, I?m getting a little confused about heat cycles, tyre warmers and correct tyre choice for track days..

I have had conflicting advice reference tyre heat cycles and whether tyre warmers are requirement or not. Basically, it was explained to me that a tyre used on the track will only have two heat cycles before it starts to loose its performance. If tyre warmers are used between sessions then the tyre performance will be extended as it maintains temperature (one cycle). But I have also read that tyres can go through 250 cycles before they start to degrade?

Currently, I am running Pirelli Supercorsa SP and plan to change to the SP V2 version and am thinking medium (SC2) front medium rear (dry use only). A friend who tracks a ZX10 swears by them?

I do 20-30 trackdays a year and have always worn tyres out before I notice any drop in performance due to heat cycling. In my opinion you can get too wrapped up in stuff like that when 9/10 times it's not something to worry about unless you're racing or running at a very fast pace.
For me personally, a rear tyre will last 2/3 days and a front 4/5. When I go on 3 or 4 day Euro trips I normally go with a brand new fr and rr and take another rr along too.

Warmers are kinder on tyres, keep the heat in and mean you don't waste time warming them up out on track. You can get a decent set for ?100 and they'll save you money in the long run with tyre wear.

Pirelli's are good tyres, if they're good enough to run at BSB level then they'll be good enough for track days. I've no personal experience of the SPs but I've used the SCs plenty and the only thing I don't like about them is the longevity when compared to my preferred Dunlop tyres.

Last edited:
I used the 212s on the road during the summer mnths. Give them 5 mins to warm up and then all good. When the temp drops in autumn or rains then dont risk it as they go from being "very very good" to "oh my god im going to die"

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Pirelli Supercorsa

The Pirelli Supercorsa SP (V1 and V2) is a road orientated tyre that doesn't need to be used with tyre warmers. The Pirelli Supercorsa SC (SC1: Soft / SC2: Medium) is a race tyre that is best used with them.

+ 1 on what Ryan says

The only thing I'd add is that, personally, I think there is always a benefit to using tyre warmers on track regardless of which dry tyres you're using. Firstly because you'll have less warm up time needed and therefore there's a safety benefit, but secondly because there will be less heat cycling (which is always a benefit to a tyre)

Its a mine field.

If you are in the pits and have warmers then just stick them in the warmers at the beginning of the day and keep them in the warmers between sessions.

Compound wise its track dependant and how hot it is on the day. I've settled on k2 front k1 rear on racetec rr slicks. I obliterated a k2 rear last year on a hot day at Silverstone. It survived 2 sessions at Donny the next day then I had to bite the bullet and go see the tyre man.

With regards to heat cycles, I wouldn't worry.

My advice would be to get some track orientated tyres and warmers. Racetec rr's, supercoras etc and go with a 2 front and 1 rear. That will probably give you a decent all round set up for what you need them to do.

Tyre Compounds

I normally just opt for the following:

Soft Front / Medium Rear: Cold Track Temp.
Medium Front / Soft Rear: Hot Track Temp.

Yeah. I've only ever used them when its been pretty warm.

From what I've been led to believe, the 1 and 2 fronts are the same compound but the 2 has a harder carcass. To me it feels better and more planted where as the 1 seemed to be less stable on the brakes and didn't seem to turn as well as the 2. Might just be in my head though lol

Metzeler Racetec RR Front Tyre Compounds

From what I've been led to believe, the 1 and 2 fronts are the same compound but the 2 has a harder carcass. To me it feels better and more planted where as the 1 seemed to be less stable on the brakes and didn't seem to turn as well as the 2. Might just be in my head though lol

The K2 front has a stronger sidewall wall and is less susceptible to high track temperatures than the softer K1 tyre. You can feel the difference on track as the front just feels more composed and stable, especially under heavy braking due to the firmer construction. Having spoken to Metzeler the compounds used are also different.

Latest posts

Back