Trip from Rotterdam to Nurburgring

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDPDesign

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

Planning a trip to the ring with my cousin last week in May. Planning on getting the ferry from Hull to Rotterdam (overnight) then a ride to the ring.

Firstly, i've never driven or ridden abroad so I'm unsure what to expect etc...

I've read loads online, a lot contradicts itself, and to be honest, what I've read about the ring is putting me off lol

The questions I can't find answers to are:

1) I have a 'smaller' but not minute plate. Am I better off fitting the original?
2) Exhausts: I have a racefit growler fitted at the moment. Is this going to cause problems or am I better fitting the original can back on?

Has anyone done this trip? if so, feel free to impart any advice on routes, accommodation etc... We're looking at a 3 day trip (not including ferry crossing)

Cheers in advance guys! :)

Look at the AA website for the latest info and legal requirements are for riding a bike in in NL / Germany, take all of your docs with you (make sure you notify your insurance company if you don't have EU cover on your policy), personally I'd go with a std plate and exhaust to avoid unwanted attention from the Police

I've ridden loads over the channel, do at least one 2 week trip a year.

1) I don't think they'll give a toss, I've never had a problem with plate size.
2) I've never had a problem with noisy exhausts either.

Best advice, buy michelin maps. They have all the good/scenic roads highlighted in green, string as many of them together as you can between you and your destination :chuncky:

Also, get a fkin BIG reminder on your dash about which side of the road to drive on. Mine is a orange arrow with 'Drive on the RIGHT k**bhead!!!' written in big letters. Every single trip we have some sort of incident or near miss with someone setting off from a fuel station or leaving a T junction and ending up on the wrong side of the road. I once road all the way down a mountain pass in the Pyrenees on the wrong side quite quickly! Blind bends, hairpins, the lot. My mate was trying to catch me and point out my mistake but I just thought he wanted me to up the pace a bit.....

I've never done the 'ring but always wanted to. You'll have an ace time, the roads in that area are supposed to be great.

The ring...

It is great fun and you'll enjoy it. You have to be mindful that there will be cars and drivers there that are so much quicker than you, so keep your eyes on your rear view mirrors. My first time there I got undertaken on a corner on my first lap. There's nothing quite as good at filling your pants as dropping into a corner, looking for the apex only to find a 911 GT3 taking you on the inside at 100+!

Its not the place to go for 'tracktime' unless you know it well, I don't. But if you go with the view that it is an experience to be enjoyed you'll have a blast. There will be plenty if exotic motors there no doubt. Also the public roads in all of that area are generally very good too.

Try not to crash on the ring. You are personally liable for recovery, damage, and any time the circuit is closed for cleanup / recovery. When I was there an R1 had come off, and when I was leaving the guy said his bill was currently at 2000 euros. Don't let that put you off, if you keep your eyes open and ride well you will be fine.

Last edited:
I was travelling from south to north when I went so can't offer any advice on that.

Haus Am Ziel. Also goes by The place after the race. Its in Mullenbach. The standard of the rooms was amazing. We were the first guests in the new place last year. The owners had another place previously and had just moved into this one.

Can anyone recommend any hotels near the ring?

I can totally recommend Hotel http://www.hotel-wilhelmshoehe.de/ , I have been there so very many times I have lost count. Jackie (is English) and Ulli the owners have a very nice Hotel about 20 minutes ride from the Ring and is ideal for a ring trip. They have a large secure bike barn/shed for the bikes, good food and reasonable room rates.

Re riding the Ring, have a read of this http://jocke.selincite.com/bikes/riding-nurburgring..

If you have a loud pipe and want to ride on the ring sometimes the officials do noise tests at the barriers but this is very rare. Might be an idea to change your can. The number plate is not an issue at all.
The roads in the Ardennes and Eifel are fab,

If you need any further advice pm me.

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
Back