Trading the XR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

neustavce

Have been riding the XR for a bit now and as much as I liked it, It was a compromise, a great one as I had that cracking engine, the way the front would just nicely lift and float under hard acceleration, top box , and my pillion was happy, he's only on the bike for 30 mins as I drop him to school.
But I just hated the wallowing mid corner and the fact that having busted my ankle a while back it was really hard and still painful to move the bike around when not under engine power.
Tried the s1000r and great bike but sure its a xr thats lower but with non of the practicality and a things like s veritable mountain of nooks and crannies for dirt and dust to collect (I like to keep bike clean, hang over from racing bicycles where you used the clean down to check over everything, make sure frame not cracked, check tires etc) Also no wind protection, it was definitely fun to ride but it really makes you a complete and utter hooligan when nipping through rush hour traffic.
So whats not a compromise and is just what it is, the s1000rr , will my son be a little less comfortable...possibly...will I miss the top box...no not really I hated the look of the thing on the bike...Will I laugh manically when I crack the throttle open...YUP...deal done.

So new grey/black 2017 sport with forged wheels purchased hopefully ready to be collected tomorrow. Will need to fit the HP rear sets and levers and spools. Only thing to source for now is some engine protectors/sliders are the bmw ones any use ?

Seems like there is way more to see on the dash of the RR like the lean angle which isn't on the XR, but for now I think ignore that lot and just get used to riding this thing. It will be interesting to see how different things will be, switch gear will be the same so at least I don't have to worry about that.

Planning a few track days, but need new leathers first as current don't zip together.

Welcome, you will definitely need new leathers, you will look and feel the part, I love crouching under the screen and feeling this thing wind up like on the road races. Yeah my wrists hurt and my knees ache sometimes. But it's worth it!!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum neustavce!

Your son must have had a great time commuting to school on the back of an XR! What an awesome way to arrive! Obviously the RR won't be as pillion friendly, but for 30 mins I'm sure he won't mind one bit :)

Great choice on the 17 RRs with forged wheels, they're fantastic value for money when purchased with the bike. Black/Grey is the colour I'd be choosing too.

Re BMW case sliders, personally I'd recommend going with GB Racing case covers.

Re HP rearsets, they're fantastic quality and offer loads of adjustment, but apparently it is hard to source replacement parts so just bear that in mind.

Hope you, and your son, have many miles of smiles onboard your new steed!

Oli

Welcome along. I guess those 30 mins will be drastically reduced - at least in 'honeymoon period'. I'm actually considering getting an XR as well - but i think the purchase will be an expensive one, as I'll need to build an extension to the garage :)

I'm sure you'll love the RR - I know we do :)

Hi and welcome, great choice and fab colour too.
Im sure your son will love the RR more!
Plus 1 for HP rear sets and yes you will have to buy a complete side if anything breaks but so worth it for look and adjustability.
The HP case sliders look good but if you're doing track days I'd get the GB racing ones as my engine cover was damaged by gravel with the "half moon" HP ones
Enjoy!

Welcome along. I guess those 30 mins will be drastically reduced - at least in 'honeymoon period'. I'm actually considering getting an XR as well - but i think the purchase will be an expensive one, as I'll need to build an extension to the garage :)

I'm sure you'll love the RR - I know we do :)

Selling my '65 plate GSA if you're interested?

Welcome along, Renntec sell grab rails for the gen3 Sthou if you'd like a better chance if keeping your pillion on board(!), got one on mine.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for supporting us.

Talking about the r and being a hooligan, I had one for a few days on loan and today I got a NIP for speeding on the damn thing! First ticket in a decade.

Enjoy the new bike.

Took delivery today, the xr and s1000rr are a million miles apart , holy crap this is a nice bike love the intervention % and lean angle display.
Took a little getting used to as to just how quickly she changes direction.

Well done mate, get it run in fast so you can unleash its full potential

Like a bloody kid on Christmas Day, 6am and out on the bike to beat the forecast torrential rain, just a bit drizzly and had a good ride but crap the roads were slippy, the racetec k3 stepping out all over the place even on very moderate throttle, didn't make it fun which probably made me more hesitant and made things worse spiralling into me putting the bike back into the garage before I dropped it.

Like a bloody kid on Christmas Day, 6am and out on the bike to beat the forecast torrential rain, just a bit drizzly and had a good ride but crap the roads were slippy, the racetec k3 stepping out all over the place even on very moderate throttle, didn't make it fun which probably made me more hesitant and made things worse spiralling into me putting the bike back into the garage before I dropped it.

Unless you're planning on doing a lot of track days suggest you swap to M7RRs once the K3s wear out, up to a bit of track work but also an excellent, long lasting all weather tyre.

Hi, welcome. I picked mine up last Saturday. Still running in and it's restricted until first service which is now something like between 350-750 miles. I love the bike and rode all the latest competition from Honda, Yamaha, Susuki, Aprilia etc before going for the BMW. Made the right choice.

Latest posts

Back