Track day crash

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear this Stevie, won't take much to fix her though just like Gav says, good luck with the parts mate.

JimmyMac

Not a good read but glad that you are ok.
I slid mine on my first Track day too, I was gutted but put it down to experience.
As others have said, the first down is the worst for your pride and joy. The second time I slid didn’t bother me, I was more pissed off in case I couldn’t get back out again!
Take the damaged bits off and give it a clean, you will be surprised how little you need to make it look as good as new again.
Dont beat yourself up, its a hazard of riding a bike, either on the road or on track.

I slowed down as much as a could, but I couldn't hold it upright so it touched the gravel with right side. Some scratches on fairing, nothing serious.
Serious how the bike man?

No fs never had any on! Wish I had of now fs lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Those metzlers are definitely not for the track, especially if you push hard.

What pressure did you run?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

30f 28r is a good pressure in warm dry conditions. I found that the M7RRs were great on track for a good few hot laps but they usually started to slide a tiny bit towards the end of a 20 minute session on a warm, dry day. They never let go, but you could feel and see them starting to loose the traction battle which was a good warning sign to come in. Lasted very well overall. Good choice if you ride to trackdays and /or dont have a set of wets to hand.

Last edited:
Very sorry to read this Stephen, as the others have said I hope the repairs are completed ASAP so that you can get back to enjoying life on two wheels.
First and foremost though I?m glad you were not injured in the crash, metal and plastic can always be repaired or replaced

Thanks for you kind and supportive message, it?s one then things with riding bikes it?s just a question of when!

It?s just a hard pill to sallow as I?ve dreamt of the bike and owning it for the last 2 and 3 years, and to see it the way it is, I?m broken lol may sound silly but when it?s your life and you only get one wack at it I?ll like to be on two wheels as long as I can. Sorry for the doom and gloom but my other half doesn?t really understand as she not keen on the bikes lol!

I got a rough estimate on like near 4grand for parts ONLY!! and told they might have to send the engine away? ( I just sent some pictures with the damage)
Wtf! Lol

Don't think about it like that...Where there is a will there is a way Stephen. You can get cheap full fairing kits on ebay to match any design you want. Trust me I've been in the exact same situation as you before not just once and I somehow always manage to find a way. Keep looking at options, Have a look for the fairing sets, let BMW access the actual damage to the engine, I'm sure it'll be better news than you expecting

Have you tried motorworks.co.uk
He sells new and used BMW parts, usually has some rr's that he breaking.
Glad your ok
Dave

Not the same colour but a full set of 2016 fairings for ?1000?
Ebay no 302750738813

I know its not much but I do have a set of OEM bar ends with no damage but could do with a repaint if you wanted them? FOC mate

...Way I think about it is a opportunity, You now have an excuse to do anything you want with it within reason, So go and get that pink fairing you've always wanted, Go and get that fluffy windscreen you've dreamt about! In all seriousness though you now can do whatever you want with your bike :D
Wise words from Felix. I've yet to crash my RR but in other situations I've turned a really sh*te event around by using it as an opportunity to make things better than before. You'll also be surprised at how little it'll cost if you're careful. ?4K FFS

I high sided, my old bike for no apparent reason, but then was told by someone with a lot more knowledge then me, that road tyres on a hot day will over heat and loss grip in a 20 min session, which was the only thing I could think of that made me crash, cos I?d been around the same corner a lot fast earlier in the day

I high sided, my old bike for no apparent reason, but then was told by someone with a lot more knowledge then me, that road tyres on a hot day will over heat and loss grip in a 20 min session, which was the only thing I could think of that made me crash, cos I’d been around the same corner a lot fast earlier in the day

Which I guess mean, you ran too high pressure in the rear ?

High Pressure keeps a tyre cooler
Low Pressure keeps it hotter.

Reason being pressure controls the flex and size of contact patch which changes the contact patch.

Any statement on what a tyre will or won't do will be wholly down to the rider (and how they are working them).

Latest posts

Back