Track Bike

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. Ooft SUCH GRAMMAR.. I'll put it down to my eyesite...usually I have to edit every post I stick up after I read it.. haha...I need contacts 👀👀👀👀👀

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I suffer an affliction as well stuart. "Fat fingers" its the baine of my lufe

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I suffer an affliction as well stuart. "Fat fingers" its the baine of my lufe

Haha. That reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons when homer put on tons of weight and tried dialling his phone...the phone answer machine went "your fingers are too fat" lol

Haha. That reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons when homer put on tons of weight and tried dialling his phone...the phone answer machine went "your fingers are too fat" lol

Thats pretty much me 😂😂😂

[emoji33] [emoji12]

I'm selling my RC390 Cup if corner speed is your thing, ?4500.

Managed two 3rd place finishes at Cadwell last weekend against bikes with upwards of 50% more power.....one race was having a ding-dong with a ZXR400 and pipped him to the podium by 0.012 of a second!

Just beware of Dean Nicholls selling BMW parts. He sold me a fucked QS claiming it was As New, Used twice :(

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ive also had bad experience with a bike off motoforum..never again...i would rather take my chances on ebay.:)

Yes it does, no V5 will put a lot off so a bargain could be had if all ok

Well spotted pal, he is just round the corner from me in the new development from what I can make out. Ive asked about none of my mates know of him There was a huge crack in the frame.. ive registered on the R1 forum as it has limited access if your not a member. One of the mods will have to sign me off. Ive emailed him earlier...no reply so far..Ill spin round and see it if he replies.. so no V5.. then I cant resell as road going at anytime can I ?

S

Trackday Bike Buying Advice

Most track bikes start life as road bikes and if you?re looking for a bike purely for track use, there?s no shortage of road bikes which have been converted. When buying a second-hand track bike I would advise proceeding with caution and know exactly what you are buying. I say this as about five years ago there was a huge problem of stolen bikes and parts being used in club racing. The situation has improved significantly in recent years as clubs like BMCRC have acted, but there still quite a few out there. If a bike was originally registered for the road then it should have a V5C present. If it?s always been a race bike then get the bill of sale, invoice or paperwork that shows it was purchased legally. If a V5C isn't present then get the bike checked out using both the frame and engine numbers before buying and research it's history.

Be aware that quite a few track bikes are insurance write-offs. This means they?ve been in an accident (or theft) and were considered not economically viable to repair afterwards. Some may make very good track bikes, others should be avoided at all costs. So it is imperative that you check which insurance category it was deemed to be and completely avoid Cat A and Cat B bikes.

A common area of concern is if the bike comes with spare engines or frames. Ensure that you see documentation for them and know exactly where they came from. Most blank frames are generally only found in BSB as they have been delivered directly from the factory to the race team. If the bike seems to have altered or missing frame numbers and/or engine numbers then walk away. Even if there is a legitimate reason do you really want to take the risk?

The other option is to buy a good, quality road bike and convert it yourself. This is the more expensive option but the process is quite rewarding and makes sense if you intend on keeping the bike in the long term and will use it frequently. When I used to race, all my bikes were purchased as brand new bikes and then converted. I do exactly the same for my trackday bikes.

Make sure that you check for crash damage. Race and track bikes are crashed. FACT. However there is a significant difference between a couple of slow lowsides when compared to launching a bike into oblivion down Craner Curves or around Coram. Expect to see some damage but make sure it's not too excessive. Also track bikes are subjected to multiple tyre changes so do not expect the wheels to be in pristine condition. Make sure that you request the seller removes all race fairings when viewing to check everything is ok underneath and for any signs of a damaged or straightened frame. This is not an onerous request as face fairings and seat units are designed to be quick release.

If you are buying a bike that is described as a race, or ex-race bike, ask which championship it was used in. Ultimately you want one in which the championship regulations only permit stock engines to be used for trackday use. The reason for this is simple. If you buy a bike with a non-standard engine you are looking at significantly reduced service intervals which are normally quite expensive. That and if the reduced service intervals have been neglected you could be buying a bike with potential engine problems.

Finally, ask if the bike comes with any spares. An additional set of wheels is always useful so you can maximise the bike's use on track especially in the wet. Likewise check the condition of brake pads, discs, chain and sprockets and find out when the suspension was last serviced. Just make sure that you research the bike properly before you buy and, depending on your pace and ability, consider both 600cc and 1000cc as you may benefit more from a smaller capacity bike on track.

Great piece of advice Ryan, thanks for that. I went to look at the bike and it was dog rough..his wife showed me round as he is working away, I doubt anyone will give this guy what he's looking for... the bike has been very "well used".

He's clearly spent money on it but it never appealed to me at all...I've been about bikes most of my life but as track bikes go I have no experience, so I read up as much as I can. Most of what you say there I totally get and some of it I kind of had a handle on... not sure I want to buy a straight Track Bike..rather as you say buy a good road bike and set about it myself..pretty sure that's the way I would rather go. That way I will know it's history and what's been done to it. that's about 5 I've looked at over the last few weeks, and NONE of them were clean nor particularly well looked after...what is it with people, any bike I've ever sold was immaculate for the punter coming to see it..I don't get that bit.

S'pose this next comment is slightly relevant... In my game it's the same, it never fails to amaze me when I'm in clients houses doing a valuation for rental or sale purposes the place is a tip or they haven't put a lick of paint near the place in years and yet still expects to get top money for it... people eh!

that's solid advice mate thanks very much..I'm sure it will benefit others on here too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back