Thinking of going racing

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soofsayer

Forum Admin
Reaction score
I have been thinking of starting racing bikes for a while, I have always been very competitive and find road riding dangerous if I go out with that mindset, hence getting on track. Realistically I think 2015 will be when I start as I need to get bike, van, trailer etc sorted. I am not a mechanic but am getting better :distrust:. I have done a few track days and had some tuition (in cars) at Silverstone and Mira.

I am after some advice.... Should I start in the lower cc classes? Should I go and get training? Which club/series to join? What to buy, what not to buy? What are race weekends like, would I take the family? Are the tracks filled with idiots who don't care if they come off? Insurance? Is it a money pit? I really am a newbie at this.

The first question you need to ask yourself is can you afford to race because even at club level its not going to be cheap, I used to race 250cc national gearbox karts and an average meeting is around £1000 long circuit! And that was in 2005 when I retired from it.

Hi chorsley. Good question and thanks for your post. Short answer is yes. I have given it some thought already. A meet is about £500 entrance for the weekend, excluding petrol, travel, accommodation, parts etc. so around £1k would be about right I guess. I have no idea about things like insurance at the moment.

That's without the capital investment of the bike(s), transport, paddock kit, transponder etc.

it ain't going to be cheap, but compared to playing with fast cars (my previous past time before kids) it's looking much cheaper and more fun!

Why not do regular trackdays to start?

+1-unless,of course,you are too quick for the fast group!

Trackdays won't teach you starts but you will learn to make quick decisions,overtaking off line,late braking,trail braking,correct lines etc.

It seems to me that you have too many questions,most of which can only be answered by you,your finances,your family and how strong is your desire to win.

+1-unless,of course,you are too quick for the fast group!

Trackdays won't teach you starts but you will learn to make quick decisions,overtaking off line,late braking,trail braking,correct lines etc.

It seems to me that you have too many questions,most of which can only be answered by you,your finances,your family and how strong is your desire to win.

i have done done a handful of track days. Nothing wrong with them, but, it's not racing, and there are no regs. So anyone with a bike licence can turn up and have a go, I've already seen some really stupid stuff on track during track days, I'm hoping that natural selection plays its part and they don't race for real. I'm also adverse to binning my HP4 on a trackday, so a track bike is in order, so why not race instead of pretend?

Baz-thanks, I'm only looking for advice from any of you guys who have / do race. For instance, nolimits run some championships, looks interesting. Anyone done a season with them?

I'm not saying do trackdays instead of racing i said do regular trackdays to start. If your not thinking of racing till 2015 that gives you a whole year to get your bike/kit sorted, get to know the tracks and get fast. It will be safer and you will be a better rider come 2015.

I'm not saying do trackdays instead of racing i said do regular trackdays to start. If your not thinking of racing till 2015 that gives you a whole year to get your bike/kit sorted, get to know the tracks and get fast. It will be safer and you will be a better rider come 2015.

My misunderstanding, sorry.

I like your thinking Andy, I'll need to get my arse into gear to get on with it.

Like you i was tinkering with the idea last year. Decided this year to track only with some instruction thrown in. Sold my car, bought some cheap fairings, bought a cheapish transit, passed my acu test (piece of cake) and enquired around. Local club to me (bemsee) do a 2day course with test and track including starts in feb i think. They have an open day 8th dec at brands with all questions answered and get to meet racers, last seasons newcomers, organisers ect, sounds a good set up. The idea is to take part next year, not to win but for the experience. There are rookie classes for 'beginners'. For me a (3/4days) european trackday is more valuable than single days, the continuity is much better than a single day. Good luck if you decide !

My misunderstanding, sorry.

I like your thinking Andy, I'll need to get my arse into gear to get on with it.

That was,basically,my thinking.
Better to start in the middle(or the front!) than the back!
You can also get some tuition on trackdays or have a day with Spike Edwards,Simon Crafar etc

Thanks gents.

bemsee would be nice to do, they are my first choice, but they are a long way from Leeds so I might go and do the equivalent with thundersports, going to give them a bell tomorrow. The track would be donnington which is much easier for me to get to, especially in feb.

im thinking get my acu, get talking with the club racers, maybe go along to some of the meets as a spectator or help in the paddock (if anyone is nuts enough to let me). Also get a bike sorted over winter and get some trackdays in during 2014 to get ready for 2015.

so good advice, thanks all round.

Thought I would share a bit of info from a few calls made today.

ACU licence requirements have changed to include an on track assessment for 2014, which I think is a good thing.

Thundersport GB said I had to bring a track bike to the ACU day, road bike not acceptable.

Nolimits said anything that was road legal was also acceptable just as per a track day. So I've booked a place with them at Donny for end of Feb.

Happy days.

thundersport or derby phoenix are decent clubs , as well as the TDO cups.
+1 on the Spike Edwards thing , the rest are all pretending

Latest posts

Back