The tyre wear thread

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Pressures

Make sure you monitor the pressures before and after each session; especially if track temperature is rising throughout the day.
So, what is your recommendation for starting road tyre pressures (before) without warmers and what max pressures do you think one should aim to get to after a session?

Hi Jay, thanks for the reply I didnt ask for myself but, as Ryan mentioned pressures (track) I was curious as to what everyone else does/thinks is correct.

Im enjoying reading this thread.. Thanks to all contributors.

Hello. That’s mega hard to answer.
We are given a suggested psi by manufacturers for each tyre but to tune correctly u need to check air temp , weight of rider , distance , take into effect the route variables the same as h would a track but who has time or even want to do this every time u go for a road ride
So
What’s ur weight
What tyres u using
How many miles u gonna be doing
How much of this is high speed straights

I gather from other people’s posts u don’t brake much , neither do I on roads so u already killed the speed u need for the bend which better for tyres, no rebound shredding into them under pogo braking resulting in better control resulting in more tyre pressure in ur tyres than those who need the flex under braking . Why do we drop tyre pressure at track , to achieve more flex, no flex less tyre surface to make contact

Jay

So much info to take on board, this really is a minefield.
I just press the starter and go, no wonder I've come off twice lol.
Im going to take on board all of the comments in this thread and start having a play about with the pressures and suspension settings.

I run my michelin pressure at about 24-25 psi rear
So my guess is pressure too high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I run my michelin pressure at about 24-25 psi rear
So my guess is pressure too high

But the slicks have much lower minimum pressures than the road tyres...Michelin say mine should be no lower than 27 cold. Which, IMO is where they were in the afternoon.

But the slicks have much lower minimum pressures than the road tyres...Michelin say mine should be no lower than 27 cold. Which, IMO is where they were in the afternoon.

I wasn't referring to slicks, I'm talking about the Power cup evo's

As said, so many variables.... Used to run sc2's, never could get great tyre wear, changed to RR K2's with a little better result, changed to V02's and had perfect wear from the same suspension settings and hence longevity. It's always a trade off between track/temperature/power applications and riding abilities.
Unless you are anal about making notes of the relative conditions (I'm not although I have some knowledge) you will always start on the back foot and it's difficult to make adjustments and get results from an already ripped up tyre.
Also, unless you deal with the different makes of tyre, the wear characteristics and the possible suspension/pressure corrections on a regular basis then it's a mind boggling minefield.
The data logging will give you when/where/ how you brake, accelerate etc but the rest is knowledge and experience.
I would suggest that the majority of riders would be happy to have an averagely worn tyre then pay for a new one lol
Some of you know I have a ZZR for the road, it's a take me anywhere bike, sometimes 2 up and it must have nearly 2" 'safety' strips. Middle is knackered, sides are almost new, my S1k is the opposite. The point being, everybody is different, novice to experienced, road or track, big balls or wind in yr vagina, just enjoy and in the words of Stoner, don't let yr ambition out way yr ability :cheerful:

Latest posts

Back