The days after the disastrous trip

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HRCBLADE

Reaction score
Well Got back Thursday from Switzerland and italy on the bike .... 7 days of continuos rain :( Coming back on thursday was honestly the worst weather I have ever ridden in. 700 miles from lauterbrunnen in Switz to Oxted in kent and solid biblical rain the whole way ... after 1 hour I was completely soaked. Anyway just surveying the damage from the trip and wanted some advice.

1.) A pigeon dive bombed the bike at 90 miles an hour and broke off the pointy part on the motorsport left fairing piece which in turn broke th v piece as well so I need to get a replacement left fairing and v piece. Would KFM Motoradder seem to be the cheapest place to get replacements ?425 ?

2.) Chain is cooked and wanted a new DID anyway i guess the question is whether it is worth going to the hassle of taking the front sprocket off to do a 520 conversion? Do you need a special tool? I have removed wheel, old chain and sprocket cover so assume it would be easy enough to remove?

3.) Who does nice black rear sprockets? Not sure i like the two tone supersprox

4.) Is it worth getting lighteck chain adjusters while i am at it? Or are the BMW gilles ones better? .... the lighteck do look quite chunky

sorry for all the questions be good to get some thoughts advice. Bike is currently up on my lift stripped just a matter of getting ordering lol

Can't answer your questions but sorry to hear you had terrible weather, its like a game of attrition riding for hours in solid rain, not fun at all

Can't answer your questions but sorry to hear you had terrible weather, its like a game of attrition riding for hours in solid rain, not fun at all

Yeah return trip took 13hours in total, most of the time i couldn't see anything and was completely soaked through after an hour. Leathers still drying out :(

That's not good. Got a mate out there this week so hope it's better for him! Re your questions
1. Don't know
2. Definitely change front sprocket. Just need right size socket and brute force!
3. Supersprox do an all black. Only slight difference in colour is visible.
4. Lightech all the way. Had the Gilles on my gixxer and they have too many moving parts. The lightech are much better. The lightech are a more snug fit with the wheel spindle so more accurate. See http://s1000rrforum.co.uk/showthread.php?7585-Fitting-LighTech-chain-adjusters for pics of lighttech and supersprox.

I've never understood the need for chain adjusters - the bloke that replaces my tyre does that for me, as I have never had to adjust my chain in 4 years.. I'm not even sure I'd know how to do now, if I had to :) Do they make the job much easier to do, don't seem to remember it being a big job?

I also sympathise with the rain - I came back from Germany a couple of weeks ago and the rain in Belgium was so bad I started looking around for an old bloke with a big wooden ship full of animals. I was Rukka'd up, so only mildly moist around the non-waterproof zip areas, couldn't imagine doing that in leathers.

Last edited:
Hi,

You should have removed the front sprocket before you removed the chain, I usually lock the rear wheel with a stout piece of wood and then loosen the front sprocket nut, be sure to flatten the tab washer first, you will need a new tab washer from BMW.

I did a 520 conversion when I changed mine, the stock chain is rubbish.

I went for AFAM chain (grade 8) and 1 tooth less on the front, I have a range of rears, I usually run lower gearing for the track and higher for the road.

The sprockets are front AFAM and rear Talon, AFAM could not decide if they had the right part when I wanted to change them last year.

I have Lightech chain adjusters as a) they are more accurate 2) they are well made and 3) they are nice to look at.

520 Chain Conversion

A 520 chain conversion gives you greater freedom of choice in terms of sprocket sizes and their availability for aftermarket wheels. It also marginally reduces unsprung weight which is why they are generally always fitted to race/track bikes.

Chain Adjusters

You may want to consider the BMW HP or Gilles AXB chain adjusters as they are simple, cheap and effective.

Decided I might as well do the 520 conversion as chain is off and will just use part of it to get the front sprocket off. Anyone know off hand what socket size i need?

Looks Like kfm do the left side motorsport fairing for 430ish posted so about ?100 cheaper than ordering locally.

Not decided on adjusters yet .... will look at the ones RyS mentions. Just not sure of the black with the silver swingers to be honest of the lightech

Thanks for all info and advice

Seeing your garage/work of art has just made me cry through my penis! What a set up, brilliant.

Latest posts

Back