Tech help needed......

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDJ46

Reaction score
Expert help needed here....

Hi all.
I have hit a stumbling block with my HP4.
I bought it second hand and have had a few issues with it cooking ECUs. I have had it 2 years and have struggled to even run it.
It has just been to BMW who fitted another ECU and it cooked it pretty much immediately.
BMW cannot identify the fault but have said that they would change the looms and ECU again but you can guess that this is so expensive. I have got the bike back and I will change the loom myself.
Now, I am struggling to locate a HP4 loom. My question is, does the HP4 loom differ to the S1000rr loom? The HP is 2013, can I fit a 2013 loom? Or, as BMW tell me the latest gen BMW is basically a HP4, can I fit a new gen loom and ecu? The bike is NOT running the DDC as it is a track bike and I have fitted other kit.
I can get hold of S1000rr looms etc very easily so this would be a good option if compatible.
Thanks in advance

Re: Expert help needed here....

When my '12 had a loom issue causing a cutout, Lind BMW Norwich, took it in an diagnosed the issue with the loom. They got BMW to replace the loom as factory fault. I only ended up paying for the labour to fit + some of the diagnosis time.

I would expect the same of your dealership. Unless they can prove there's a fault caused by you, then the loom should be replaced FOC.

The 15 bike is indeed the HP4 with a few updates. You will find a stripped bike for racing. Loom, lockset , fuel cap and ECU. Should work out cheaper. The problem will be a dodgy earth somewhere which is arcing out. Had it before on a gixer k6.
Tracing it is horrendous. Just check any aftermarket fittings, also found screws holding parts on, screwed right through the ECU before.

Thanks guys. Do you know if the loom on the HP4 is specific to that particular model or can I use another loom? I have the chance of a 2015 loom and ecu.

If no one on here knows (im sure they will) i would speak to phil crowey

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ECU Differences

I'm fairly certain there are some fundamental differences (hardware and software) between the 2015+ ECU and previous models. A competent BMW dealership should be able to tell you exactly what these are and I'm confident Phil Crowey will most definitely know.

It's an interesting question, beyond my knowledge, so when you solve it please let us know. My 2c is that the HP4 and the 15+ s1000rr ecus are different interfaces, so you'd need to swap ecu and loom to match as you suggest. It makes sense that the HP4 could run off a 15+ s1000rr loom and ecu because both bikes use gyros (and ddc which is not relevant here), whereas the pre 15 s1000rr didn't, and that would certainly be a problem for TC etc. Keep us posted :).

Pretty sure Paul is saying use a 2015 loom on the HP4.

Sorry for the delay, the gen3 bike is basically the HP 4 but obviously newer, I cannot confirm 100% that the loom is the same as I have not had to rebuild one yet, not even had the engine out as it's pretty awesome as stock.
Can you get the loom kit on 14 day return?
If so, drop the engine on yours, pull the loom and clean it up and lay it out, order the 15 one, and lay out next to it. You will soon know. It's a days graft though..
You could phone Phil Crowe Racing. What he doesn't know, is not worth knowing about a beemer. If you don't have the tools/ability get him to do it, he doesn't charge the earth, and I trust him more than BMW.

Phil Crowey

I would certainly recommend Phil Crowey for technical expertise.

I'm too tech useless to have Facebook, but get hold of him on there, he will guide you better than me. ��

I didn't want to put his number in as I wasn't sure if mine in my phone was his business or personal number to be honest. But that's the one ..

Phil Crowey

I've just spoken to him and he's happy for his number to be published on here. He can also be contacted via his Facebook page. Please contact him during normal working hours only.

Spot on guys. I do not really need to call on the forum for tech help but theres lots of good advice here.

I can get this loom no problem to match it with mine and see where we are at but, I will call Phil tomorrow.

I have his number as he was handing out business cards in Almeria a couple of weeks back.

I will keep you all posted on this!

Cheers all

Indeed he was, were you there? Which garage?

Sent from my Lenovo B6000-F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back