Tapping noise

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren jones

Reaction score
Hi all new to the motorbike scene as only passing a year ago decided to buy myself a brand new s1000rr I have now completed 350 miles and have noticed a few things which I am unsure on or should I wait until I have done the 600 miles

first thing is a tapping noise or vibration noise between 3000-4000 rpm almost like a tappit noise in a car but it goes after 4000rpm but is always there between these revs.

next things when stationary and put it into first it clunks in I am sure it didn't do this when I first had it.

last thing is the quick shifter sometimes clunks in when going up the box and pulls you forward on the bike also when going quick up the box sometimes the gear display looses 5th or 6th of the display.

thanks for your advice in advance

Yes it my first big bike and as yet haven't taken it back as they will say wait until 600 miles the tapping worries me more as I here it clearly with helmet on but it could be normal or perhaps fuel pump

tighten your clutch cable up a touch by the clutch leaver it may make it a bit smoother

My quickshifter is a little clunky at lower revs, and seeing as your bike still has rev limit at 7000 I'd wait to see if this passes at higher revs. I only use quick shifter on track or off the lights against someone and I only use QS between 10,000 and 13,000 rpm.

As for 5th to 6th, as above see if clutch cable could use a little tighten, it will stretch a little when first used, but sounds like you might not be lifting through the gear firm enough.

Never had the tapping so good luck with that.

Hello by the way

Crack on with them 600 miles and take it back sounds like number 1 option :)
Unless it sounds terminal , then take it straight back

Hi Darren, do you wear Ear plugs?

My bike always clunks when it goes into 1st gear as did my previous 3 Honda's, I dont think it is too much to worry about,

re the Q/S are you being positive and accelerating when using it?

as for the vibes I would do as Bob says, wait until the 1st service. Scribble down all your concerns as they come up then take the list with you to the 1st service, this way you wont forget anything and the guys with the Spanners will have a list to check off.

Welcome to the Forum btw :encouragement:

Hi, I got my sthou a week ago, and its only my 3rd bike so im in a similar position... :smug:

As has been said above, all my bikes have clunked a bit when going into first stationary, so does this one, so i dont think thats a problem.

I've found the quickshift can be clunky too if you are cruising along, or even with mild acceleration. but when you're on it it should be silky smooth (mine is anyway!)

As for the tapping, could be just a different engine sound to youre used to? i had the same thoughts when i got mine until i rode a mates and it sounded the same, just very different to the V4 vtec on my VFR800. So either thats a normal noise or both of our bikes are going to explode in a firey mess anytime soon! :cower:

Enjoy :)

Dave

Hi, I wouldn't worry about the tapping till after the 600 mile service. It may go away after or it may just be the normal noise of the bike. Hard to tell without seeing it.

You'll also find the quickshifter loosens off with use so will feel slicker over time. You can mention it at the service and they may adjust your chain to help.

All my bikes have clunked into first gear, no issue there.

Not sure about the gear display, could be a problem there.

Back