Switch Gear Replacement

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chorsley

Reaction score
had both switch gears replaced yesterday under warranty, the new switches have a very different feel especially the indicator switch, it’s much more positive, it hard to explain but the buttons give you more feedback to your thumb more like jap bikes

Is it a recall job, or will they only replace if they fail? List of stuff to do the next time the bike sees the dealership is growing...

I think they are replacing them as they fail, went out on the bike last weekend no indicator trip, took the bike in yesterday it worked fine so my fault was itermitant they replaced both as they have a new design

Had my left hand switch fail for the 1st time yesterday, indicators work fine but the trip wont work. Just called the dealer and they are going to change both Left and Right hand switch gear F.O.C even though my bike is now over 4 years old :encouragement:

This is the 1st problem with my Bike from new 2010, not bad eh?

thats exactley how mine played up and tomorrow it will work fine its very intermitant

I agree the new 2014 switches do give more feedback, the indicator has now got a click to it when disengaging a signal which my 2011 switch never had. However, comparing the 2011 to 2014 with a bare hand the buttons actually have a 'cheaper' feel to them.

Mine was done under warranty not so long back, even though bike is 2.5 years old, they covered the parts but wanted £50 labour

Fitted cox rad and oil guards to the HP4, what a bastard of a job had to take half the panels off.

thats exactley how mine played up and tomorrow it will work fine its very intermitant
My dealer said they will change them straight away if they are a pain does not matter if it is intermitant, or I could book it in and get it done when it suits me (day off work :barbershop_quartet_)

Last edited:
Im not paying for Labour, but £50 is not too bad Ross.

Every dealer will be different.

And I haven't used dealer for anything except warranty stuff since buying the bike, So I imagine if you've always used Dealer for services, small work done, MOTs etc they would probably be more likely to do it for free.

After the 600 mile service, I told the dealer to swivel because of there extortionate pricing.

Coopers of tonbrige told me BMW would be fixing switchgear problems&oil sump corrosion &pump issues out of warranty for another year but this could change. What ever that meant.my be a recall:

Coopers of tonbrige told me BMW would be fixing switchgear problems&oil sump corrosion &pump issues out of warranty for another year but this could change. What ever that meant.my be a recall:
Thats where I will be going, I do get more sense out of them than the bunch in Essex.

My L/H switchgear has just failed on my 2011 model S1000RR, phoned BMW in Tunbridge Wells and gave them my chassis number, said that the bike wasn't in warranty...blah..blah..blah.. they returned an email saying, no problem my bike fell within the chassis numbers for faulty switchgear and that they'd replace both sides this Thursday for FOC......bloody well chuffed...

As regards this, I was in a dealers today and they told me BMW will replace faulty switchgears for free until November this year. After that it will be tough. So I told them I would make sure mine were broken before then lol.

I'm hoping it's not a sign of things to come but my 2014 starter button is sticking. It feels like it's jamming, give it a wiggle to the side when pressing then it clicks down and bike cranks over. My 2011 had the left switch gear replaced but the right side was always fine. It's in for the first service on Monday so I'll see what they say.

Latest posts

Back