Super unleaded or regular?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, thanks for the info and the handbags at dawn! I guess I will try both and if my arse dyno feels any benefit (be it placebo or not) I will go with what feels best. Or if im skint, the cheapest supermarket petrol i can find!

Whilst Urbanracer doesn't have the best people skills, he's largely right. You'd need a remap to take advantage of Super and the knock sensors are only there to protect if the octane level is below what the engine wants.

What I would say is that a family friend was in the supply line for petrol stations and the only thing he suggested was to avoid Jet stations and only use Supermarkets as a last resort. Jets get the cheapest dregs and Supermarkets are price-led too - although given the throughput they have, it's less of an issue than a Jet station. My pick would be to use a mainstream petrol brand, but not bother with the super version - standard Shell has detergents in it anyway.

My old track car was mapped on super and (not living in the centre of civilization) it was sometimes a proper pain in the arse to find some when you were needing it and hadn't planned...

If you ask him to map to super (and it's got a tankful) yes. You can get more ignition advance, so more power. Just need to keep running it on Super.

As for exactly how much, it's not a simple question without actually trying it back-to-back. Different engines respond better or worse to more ignition advance - depends on the cylinder filling.

The more ignition advance you use you will produce more power; however it will create more heat which if you can’t get rid of it this will lead to less performance and possible damage to your engine; bigger Rad/oil cooler required. If you put normal fuel in after the map the knock sensor "should" back the timing off if it senses detonation and you will get less performance as a result

I have been around race engines most of my life from 100cc two stokes to 706ci or in metric 11.5 Ltr V8 making 2500 + bhp as I used to crew on a drag car so I think I know what I am talking about as ignition timing is key to perfomace.

Personally I find my engine runs crisper on Super but it might be a placebo effect. But power is something the S1000rr does not lack; if your only ridding it on the road why would you get it remapped you can't use all of it available power as it is legally? The bike does 96mph in 1st at the point where the rev limiter cuts in, if you are racing I can see the need or just use the bike on the track then maybe.

I always use super in my hp4. And never from a supermarket. There fuel is full of dirt. They all take the small partical filters off the pumps.

Since this thread I had switched to Unleaded but switched back few days ago because the engine sounded noticeably rougher on Unleaded than it had done for 2.5 years on Super.

I know "rougher" isn't the best terminology but I know how my engine sounds, and it sounded not as good with normal unleaded

Not sure what u all getting upset for if the price keeps going up, as it will let's not kid ourselves here lol, we will be aswel pouring pure moonshine in the bike lmao and if u have any left just drink it and u will think the bike sounds great and goes faster lol

Latest posts

Back