Sudden loss of power - traction control problem?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dara

Hi

I've a 2012 S1000 and am just wondering if any one else has had this problem.

When riding at any speed, the bike suddenly loses power - feels like the brakes have come on.
If I open the throttle there's no increase in revs.
If I close the throttle, it feels like severe engine braking and the bike slows quickly.
The bike never actually cuts out.
A few seconds later the traction control light blinks once or twice, and everything returns to normal.

The problem is not reproducible.
It can happen a few times in one day, and not again for a few weeks.
The dealer has confirmed no error codes are being generated, and they're mystified by it.
It has also only happened at low speeds (less than 40mph).

I'm wondering if the ECU thinks the bike has lost traction and is cutting the power to the engine for a few seconds.

Anybody else experienced this or come across it on forums?

Thanks for any help.

Hi

I've a 2012 S1000 and am just wondering if any one else has had this problem.

When riding at any speed, the bike suddenly loses power - feels like the brakes have come on.
If I open the throttle there's no increase in revs.
If I close the throttle, it feels like severe engine braking and the bike slows quickly.
The bike never actually cuts out.
A few seconds later the traction control light blinks once or twice, and everything returns to normal.

The problem is not reproducible.
It can happen a few times in one day, and not again for a few weeks.
The dealer has confirmed no error codes are being generated, and they're mystified by it.
It has also only happened at low speeds (less than 40mph).

I'm wondering if the ECU thinks the bike has lost traction and is cutting the power to the engine for a few seconds.

Anybody else experienced this or come across it on forums?

Thanks for any help.

Does it happen when you are using the quick shifter? or just random?

Thanks Lads.
Yes ... it does happen when I've been using the quick-shifter.

I'll let the dealer know.

Thanks for this - I'll provide an update once the problem has been resolved.

Thanks Lads.
Yes ... it does happen when I've been using the quick-shifter.

I'll let the dealer know.

Thanks for this - I'll provide an update once the problem has been resolved.

I tried this with the dealer, they weren't interested.
They will ask you what RPM you change gear at, if you say above 12k RPM they will quote some sh*t from the manual.
Either way let us know what happens

My 2012 had a this similar problem ,it would cut out for a couple of seconds then pick up again , the traction control light and the abs light would come on full,you couldn't switch them on or off, you also could not change the riding modes,
It has been into bmw a couple of times and it was still the same ,so I took it in last week (before the 2 yr warranty run out ) and they reacon its the ABS pump so one is order.

the standard "Shift Assist" acts like this under hard acceleration changing up above 12K, thats why i have replaced mine with a proper Quick Shifter from HM

The dealer found the problem.
Friction between the speed sensor cable and the frame/swingarm exposed the bare wire.
Cable was replaced and no problems so far.
I have a pic but can't figure out how to upload it - sorry.

Hope this is helpful.

I had something like this only diff was lost speed of dash and it turned out to be faulty dash cluster / can bus now replaced all good I ended up telling the dealer that's what it was ! Maybe worth a try ?

My 2012 had a this similar problem ,it would cut out for a couple of seconds then pick up again , the traction control light and the abs light would come on full,you couldn't switch them on or off, you also could not change the riding modes,
It has been into bmw a couple of times and it was still the same ,so I took it in last week (before the 2 yr warranty run out ) and they reacon its the ABS pump so one is order.

Got the bike back today, fault sorted it was the front harness rubbing against the hole on the frame where the air scoop attaches so new harness and jobs a goodun also a new front and rear speed sensor and abs pump , nice warranty job.

Latest posts

Back