storage

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masho46

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Guy's it's coming to that time of the year when putting the bm away is on my mind.I'm thinking of putting it in a vac bag this year my question is do you guys remove the battery and if so does it upset any of the electronics when I come to putting it back on next year.

I asked the same question and it's fine to remove the battery for winter.

Mine has no battery - another thread confirmed this is fine and doesn't lose data/settings.

I have put mine up on paddock stands and connected a Optimate just as i did last year. That way leave the battery connected and its managed / charged over the winter. Just my bit of advice...

Im with GixxerChuck on this one, mine will be ridden all winter on dry days as usual, have ridden it on ice before but not recommended.

JimmyMac

its basically a plastic bag that you wheel the bike into then suck all the air out with an hoover and tie wrap it.When I had my k5 I lived in a house without a garage so it stayed in a garden shed.Which led to me buying the vac bag no air no condensation it was brilliant you can buy them on ebay just type in motorcycle vac bag.

riding through winter not for me as soon as the salt goes down the bike goes into storage.

Same here. I take the view that if its cold enough for salt to be down that means ice, which I'd rather avoid riding on.

Also these bikes don't like the grit we use on the roads in the UK and suffer bad corrosion as a result of being used through winter. A member on here who isn't as active as he used to be rides/rode all year on his, used to go on about it not being a problem, until he serviced it the following spring and found many many hundreds of pounds worth of work to be done due to seal, brake and metal corrosion. Not good.

To be fair Andy, If I do encounter salt on the road the bike gets a stone cold jet wash when I get home, I've got a commercial pressure washer that I bought to clean my JCB and suchlike, it usually gets used on low pressure but hot wash for my cars and bikes. Seems to keep the corrosion at bay. Touch wood

JimmyMac

Hi guys , I can see the reasoning for putting the bike away for the winter my brother has an rsv4 who I share a lockup with, he puts it in a vac bag for the winter and they are great no condensation nothing his bike comes out every spring pristine, my bike was used daily last winter and was put next to his soaking most of the time and didn't affect his bike at all, on the other hand I didn't have to many problems with corrosion or salt , the brakes started to bind and the bottom fork pinch bolts started to rust but that was all , I think this was partly down to me washing the bike down with cold water and covering the bike with Scottoiler fs365 (which I would highly recomend) spray after every ride . one thing I should mention is the original chain which looked like it sank with the titanic no matter how much I lubed it.

David

To be fair Andy, If I do encounter salt on the road the bike gets a stone cold jet wash when I get home

That must be almost daily up norf Jimmy!

Went on what I think will be my last hp4 ride of the year on Thursday.

120E0FE5-CFA4-4967-AEDA-2ED628B600C0_zps7omkxlbm.jpg

Although, she is sat in the garage now and I'm loathed to wash her down and put her away for winter just in case we get some more mild weather, crazy at the moment!

This was in March 2014, I had a lot of fun with the guy on the Repsol that day, lives too short to hibernate!!

JimmyMac

Last edited:
Do people drain the fuel tank or fill it to the brim?
Brim it mate. Although it has an aluminium tank it will still be prone to corrosion. Have you ever noticed how your engine cases become dripping wet when there is a sudden temperature change during the winter? Well that happens inside the tank too. The water runs to the bottom of the tank and sits under the petrol and rots the tank bottom surface.
As I said it's not as bad with the BMW tank, but with a steel option on other bikes you run the risk of a rusty bottom lol.

I'd go along with Marzy on this, I have always been taught to make sure that all petrol and diesel tanks are filled at the end of the working day (Construction Plant, JCB's etc) for exactly the same reason. Water traps that are fitted to large diesel engines need drained less frequently as they have a lot less water in them if this model is followed.

JimmyMac

Take you're bike or bikes doon a big slippy ramp and garage them for the winter , eh Jimmy Mac ��

Back