Spring rates

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burner

Reaction score
Hi

Could anyone tell me the stock fork and shock spring rates if they know them please?

Cheers

8.5nm in the front. BMW state the rear is the same, but a lot of people doubt this. I'm 21+ stone and have managed to get rear rider sag at 30ml with 8ml free on standard spring. Front's I've changed to K-tech 10.5nm

Also the standard fork oil used has a low viscosity (16.6 cSt if memory serves me right). I don't do SAE ratings on fork oil because it's useless, but the standard is rated at 7.5w, I've put Motul in at 10w but it's Vis is 34cSt. Higher Vis oil has helped massively with Rebound and Damping in the forks with standard carts

8.5nm in the front. BMW state the rear is the same, but a lot of people doubt this. I'm 21+ stone and have managed to get rear rider sag at 30ml with 8ml free on standard spring. Front's I've changed to K-tech 10.5nm

Thanks Ross

From what I can find ohlins rear spring rates begin at 90Nmm-1 so BMW are an order of magnitude out with the rear rate I think.

From what I can find ohlins rear spring rates begin at 90Nmm-1 so BMW are an order of magnitude out with the rear rate I think.

90Nmm would be 9.0Nm, So BMW stating rear is 8.5Nm seems like a normal figure.

I actually believe the standard rear is more like 9.5nm just because i've been able to get it spot on even with my extra "muscle" (yea we'll call it muscle, Okay?)

Nm is newton metres which doesn't relate to spring rate. Ohlins fork spring rates seem to run in the range 9.5-11Nmm-1, and rear spring rates seem to start at 90Nmm-1, so roughly an order of magnitude apart - this information is taken from Alpha racing's website.

Latest posts

Back