Spain track days - what rubber?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Alex. I like the look of the new Michelin Power RS's, think it will be worth some feedback on them before switching. Currently S21's/RS10's can be had for around 30 to 40 quid less for a set. They are more in the Supercorsa SP/ RRK3 price bracket. If they offer that level of performance with better longevity then that may be the way I go.

....my bad sorry DarylRR

What sort of pace are u and Have you compared these with the Dunlop krs and if so how do they compare? Cheers

Would say I'm top or just behind top of fast group depending on who's there, also race. Used KR's couple of years ago at Cartagena, wasn't impressed considering the price and wear rate. Used SC's, RR's and now on V02's, very impressed with these in grip and wear rate, mind you faster boys don't use them, instead use the sc's at the rate of 1 every 10 lap race lol

Last edited:
Would say I'm top or just behind top of fast group depending on who's there, also race. Used KR's couple of years ago at Cartagena, wasn't impressed considering the price and wear rate. Used SC's, RR's and now on V02's, very impressed with these in grip and wear rate, mind you faster boys don't use them, instead use the sc's at the rate of 1 every 10 lap race lol

Cheers, I'm going to Aragon soon and I've come from gp212s to the vo2s. It's the first slick I'll be using. I always got on really well with the 212s but was recommended the vo2s .

View attachment 2196

As scientific as you'll get. But granted it was conducted on behalf of Michelin.

M7RR is the boss in the wet.
RS for the dry.

Hi Alex, I've just had a proper run through the report and totalled up the scores for the main 4 tyres across the 3 tests.

For others reading, these effectively are a track/fast road, bumpy road and a wet test.

The Michelin comes out top on 598 points. It's weak score is 199 for wet performance. It is well ahead (13 points) for the track test.

The S21's come out second with 587 points. Lowest score is on the road at 172 points. It is second to the M7RR in wet grip but scores higher in both other tests. It is also second to the Michelin for the track test.

The M7RR's come out third with 573 points. It doesn't perform as well as the others in the dry but has the best wet score at 221.

Conti Sport Attack 3's come out 4th with 570 points. They equal the S21 for the track and have a higher score for the bumpy road. They are the lowest scoring in the wet.

Based on this it would seem the S21 is arguably the best all round tyre. It doesn't top the chart at any point but performs well in all areas. Michelin's brief says they designed the tyre with a dry grip focus, which by their standards (haha) they have achieved. I think Metzeler focused on wet weather grip. At the RR K3 launch it was soaking and so they changed out the tyres for the M7RR and the journo's loved 'em.

If you are likely to be riding in the rain - M7RR's are the bet.
If you are a fair weather rider - Power RS
if you want an all rounder - S21

I have a feeling the Power RS's are designed to go after the RR K3 market with the selling point being higher mileage. I have found the best price to be within pence of each other for a set. Both are more costly than either a set of M7RR's or S21's.

Any reason why the dunlops wernt in the test?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Cheers mike

Has anyone got any opions on Pirelli Superbike slicks - looks like its shipped as an entry-level tyre that isnt sensitive to the amount of heat cycles you might put through a set of track-focused tyres.

They appear to be priced cheaper than the corsa SC and SP...

Has anyone got any opions on Pirelli Superbike slicks - looks like its shipped as an entry-level tyre that isnt sensitive to the amount of heat cycles you might put through a set of track-focused tyres.

They appear to be priced cheaper than the corsa SC and SP...

Hi Darryl... The Pirelli Superbike Pro (which was the training tyre) has been discontinued. Pirelli and Metzeler (same company) appear to have done two things. Pirelli launched the SC3 and Metzeler launched the revamped RR CompK's.

I was steered away from SC3's. That's all I can say about them.

Ahh, OK. Thanks man! I've been offered a new set for ?250... was wondering ;)

Pirelli & Metzeler

It's worth noting that whilst Pirelli do own Metzeler their race tyres are completely different from one another in terms of both construction and compound.

Should do the trick.

The tyres ive been offered are brand new BUT 2015, been stored in the tyre shop...

1) These gonna be ok?
2) How quick do i need to be to justify using these?

Tyres

Providing they have been stored correctly they should be fine for trackday use.

The tyres ive been offered are brand new BUT 2015, been stored in the tyre shop...

1) These gonna be ok?
2) How quick do i need to be to justify using these?

Not that quick. Inters on a track you know should be enough.

Might be worth getting the feed back of those that have used them, like Baz.

I ordered 2 sets of dunlop 212 gp for spain but just had 2 sets of kr slicks turn up. Ooh well, gotta try slicks at some time 😂

Not that quick. Inters on a track you know should be enough.

Might be worth getting the feed back of those that have used them, like Baz.

Cheers 👍

Having never used slicks the last thing i need is a set of tyres that wil drop off performance... might as well stick the corsas or Metz treads

Q: is it ok to use warmers on Corsa SPs? Ive got a set im going to take and last year i was doing a lap or two to come up to pace - worked a treat! But, i love the idea of getting on it on my out lap...

Warmers are helpful whatever you use.
Looks at the photos of people on track days. Many are on Super Corsa's etc.

- Sent from Mobile

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back