Spain track days - what rubber?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tyre Size & Profile

You will find a plethora of tyre sizes/profiles particularly when it comes to slicks. Metzeler and Pirelli are generally 200/60; Bridgestone is 200/65 and Dunlop are 195/65. DOT treaded race tyres are normally sized 200/55. Rain tyres are also sized differently. Unless your fast enough to notice the difference the choice will normally come down to budget and be a trade off between grip and longevity.

Re: Tyre Size & Profile

You will find a plethora of tyre sizes/profiles particularly when it comes to slicks. Metzeler and Pirelli are generally 200/60; Bridgestone is 200/65 and Dunlop are 195/65. DOT treaded race tyres are normally sized 200/55. Rain tyres are also sized differently. Unless your fast enough to notice the difference the choice will normally come down to budget and be a trade off between grip and longevity.
Cheers Ry, that feels like a fair assessment chap!

RR CompK's are ?245 a set and whilst I'm dicking about getting used to slicks it seemed better to save ?30-40 a set compared to V02's.

Metzeler

If the RR CompK is anything like the RR Slick make sure that you monitor pressures between sessions as they are sensitive to changes especially at the rear.

I make no bones about being only in Inters. So I probably won't push any tyre...even an adventure one!

CompK RR's are a bit new. So theres no real data.

Btw V02's are going up to ?295 a set. If you can find a dealer with stock from last year you may still get them for ?27x

- Sent from Mobile

I didn't get on with the CompK, the best way I can describe them is as a SC3+. Almost like an endurance compound. Last for ages but at the sacrifice of grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't get on with the CompK, the best way I can describe them is as a SC3+. Almost like an endurance compound. Last for ages but at the sacrifice of grip.

Did you use the RR version though? New for '16.

Nope this was in 2014, I'd be interested in any feedback on the new RR [emoji1360]

If you want to go down slick route you wont go wrong with krs but not cheap

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer.

Metzeler and Pirelli share similar construction. Dunlop and Michelin similar. I think Bridgestone and Conti are similar, but don't quote me on that.

If you like running Pirelli's then the cheapest option is to go towards Road Legal Racetec RR K1/K2 combo. Then the single compound CompK's. Then the K1/K2 Racetec RR Slicks.
I say this cause the Pirelli's are so damned expensive.

But you can toss all that in the bin and find out why - for the price - the V02 is the tyre of the moment...or the Dunlop is the choice for Moto2 (have you seen the Moto2 Dunlop deal with FE? A set for ?289 can't be sniffed at).

Last edited:
Race/Trackday Tyres

The most commonly used race/trackday tyres are listed below. There are other tyres available from different manufacturers but these are the ones that you will generally always see when walking around the paddock. Tyre choice is a personal one unless you are restricted to a control tyre in certain championships. Costs do vary between brands but it would be sensible to budget at least ?300+ per set for race tyres and around ?250 per set for trackday slicks so shop around for the best deal. Unfortunately, until you try a few you will not know which ones work for you and which ones do not as feel and perception of grip is highly subjective. What works for one person may not work for another. Likewise tyre wear will be dependant on circuit type, surface, riding style, suspension setup and a whole host of other variables. Just expect to go through race tyres at a far faster rate than normal particularly at a multi-day track event.

Race Tyres (SSTK)

Metzeler Racetec RR
Pirelli Supercorsa SC
Bridgestone R10
Dunlop D212 GP Pro

Race Tyres (Slicks)

Metzeler Racetec RR Slick
Pirelli Superbike Slick
Dunlop GP Race Slick
Bridgestone V02

Trackday (Slicks)

Metzeler Racetec RR CompK
Pirelli Superbike Pro
Michelin Power Slick Evo

Bridgestone v02 slicks, grip all the way through, last 3days plus, and cheap....Lots of ppl using them

What sort of pace are u and Have you compared these with the Dunlop krs and if so how do they compare? Cheers

If I were new to slicks I would use VO2s rather than KRs/moto2 slicks as,IMO,with the Dunlops the first impression is a very hard ride which needs to be ignored,whereas the VO2s feel quite normal.
Ultimate grip would go to the Dunlops,but the Bridgestone is an excellent tyre and at a good price.In truth,on a trackday there is no difference in pace.Another advantage with the VO2s is,it would appear,that medium compound suits everything!.Whilst the Dunlops are not as fussy as Pirellis on compounds,there are still 5 to choose from!

For trackday use I wouldn't dismiss using Continental Race Attacks,if longevity/value for money are a consideration.

Hi Baz, I'm looking at what tyres to go for this year. I'm more of an upper inter/lower advanced group rider. I ride mostly to and from the track day which leaves slick out for me. I have had success with Bridgestones S21's but looking at going got a grippier tyre for this year.

I like the idea of grip but will be using the bike on the road (no commuting).

How do the Conti Race attacks compare to a Metzeler RR K3 or the S21's etc?

Not my thread!

I used K3RR's last year and they did ok...but decided I got caught in the rain too often to and from the track. So I would pick the M7RR/Conti SA3's/S21/Dunlop SportSmart's for that now. Of that group there's a new tyre on the block for 2017. The Michelin Power RS https://www.fwr.co.uk/product/michelin-power-rs

I run the Conti SA3's.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back