Soon to be new s1000rr rider

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to see the bike yesterday for the first time, not been prepped yet so had no belly panel on and had some padding bits from getting transported.

All is good to collect it Saturday morning and the weather looks half decent :)

Started to look at new bits and orded a tail tidy and smaller plate

Want a set of new levers, possible ASV and a radiator guard

Gone for one on Ebay thats ?45 rather than the ?99 that R&G want lol. Will see how it fits on Saturday, hopefully it saves some momey and looks ok too

half the price of an R&G and does the same job! It's amazing how many people start buying aftermarket accessories for there bikes before they have even taken delivery of the bike lol!!!

Jonny if your going for rad guards theres a few of us on here that bought ebay ones.. 35 a pair..Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302317865183

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Cheers I have seen these but wasnt sure what they were like because of the price and fixing. Had any issues with them rattling against the rad or do they come with some foam to place between the two?

Dont fancy over ?100 for branded ones when you cant really see them and they do the same job.

Took the plunge and bought them protectors for the rad, looked at fitting and I can lockwire them nice and tight so won't have any issues.

what chain adjuster do you guys use? Chinese specials or Lightech/Gilles?

seen loads of offset cotton reels but I guess with a chain adjuster you can't use them?

Lol. Im saying not a thing on the chain adjusters. !

I will.........

DO NOT buy cheap Chinese chain adjusters, RR's are too powerful to take chances with fragile unregulated lookalike products in a critical area. I now know of 3 serious failures causing one crash, the other two were very lucky not to cause damage to the engine or the rider.

Your bike is worth more than the money saved not to mention your life, if you are unconvinced ask to see the photos of the skid marks Stuart left behind when his failed, took him ages to get his Scott Leathers cleaned.

Lightech or Gillies are well trustworthy Jonny.

JimmyMac

I will.........

DO NOT buy cheap Chinese chain adjusters, RR's are too powerful to take chances with fragile unregulated lookalike products in a critical area. I now know of 3 serious failures causing one crash, the other two were very lucky not to cause damage to the engine or the rider.

Your bike is worth more than the money saved not to mention your life, if you are unconvinced ask to see the photos of the skid marks Stuart left behind when his failed, took him ages to get his Scott Leathers cleaned.

Lightech or Gillies are well trustworthy Jonny.

JimmyMac

Yet for balance, and as I've said before - now over 3K miles on the cheap Chinese adjusters I have fitted, and they are excellent in all respects. High quality milling, good finish, easy adjustment, accurate markings, easy fitment.

Obviously I understand YMMV, but I think it's unfair to write off all the Chinese on the basis of some being dodgy.

I'm a tightwad these days, and I have Chinese levers, chain adjusters, and case protectors on my bike. Sure, they're not as expensive as others and I'm sure some people will laugh at me and turn their noses up for putting cheap 'Chinese crap' on my bike - but they do the job and they're a fraction of the (massively inflated in most cases) cost of the Gucci branded stuff most people use.

When all these bits break, fall off, or kill me then I will happily apologise for my POV, but I've worked with Chinese manufacturers for years and they're not all crap. The quality of the Chinese manufacturing environments, their investment in high quality machines, the skills of their operators, and their standards of quality control are in most cases far and a way a match for or exceed the levels of those in Germany, France, the U.K., Italy, Austria, Belgium, Poland, Norway and the handful of other countries I've worked in.

Hi Double R, I take your opinion as it fits with your experience, I am not the type of person to turn my nose up at anything or anyone for their life choices. My view is purely from an engineering standpoint in the aircraft industry.
Not all Chinese products are "crap" a term I would never use as it is too vague. But in critical parts of a machine or device, parts must be fit for purpose and production methods and processes have checks in place for that very reason. The price point of the majority of Chinese parts show that these checks cannot be getting done. I have no doubt some of the parts that are made are good quality but I want ALL my parts to be this standard.
I truly hope your bits are good and it would bring me no pleasure for any of them to fail.

Safe riding my friend.

JimmyMac

Good argument there from both sides and a nice wrap up statement from Jimmy.. I dont really want to add anything as it becomes another layer to discuss and opinions are personal.. I am surprised mine failed as they looked well engineered, so it comes down to materials and processes...and luck I guess. Pays your money you takes your chances !

Picked it up today and have done 200miles on her :).

Right turn assist pro is annoying but I can live with it.

Get the 9k limit taken off next saturday and I cant wait :).

Keep your hand on the bars (or lean to the left if you have to ride no hands) and the slight veer to the right is a non issue on road or track. Glad you're enjoying your new bike :)

Could always make a pully system so i can pull the left bar slightly and still sit upright..... or just ride it faster so I cant take my hands off the bars ;)

Latest posts

Back