So picked up the new one

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddogsween

Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

So finally picked up my new RR sport on Saturday (we had weather here). It has the pro pack on it, but coming straight out of the showroom is standard.....let the mods begin:love-struck:

So thought I give a little review on it so far. Firstly this is my first BMW, however I have had most 1L sports bikes, with most being nearly new, to which I have changed nearly everything on from standard (Yes I have the desease).

Now first impressions were very good (yes ok, was hardly hoping for anything else as cost a lot)for a standard bike, yes agreed over 16k, you'd expect it to be good......heated grips...yum. Bike is restricted to 9k revs, so was only in "getting used" too mode. Power delivery was very smooth, with slow speeds a lot more managable than the Big Bang. Felt good in the corners, for a 200kg bike felt quite flickable....not as much as my RC8, but early days and all that.....though only scrubbing in, so no Marquez moves yet:beguiled:.....

Exhaust sounds pretty good....but geez...rocket launcher....(having trouble finding aftermarket, as so new) done a fair bit of research on this, but jury is still out. Am leaning towards the Motogp Akrapovic, but being told will only be in full system.....Cha Ching....

Cruise control - caught me out, as still getting use to controls....caught it with glove and bike speed up a little bit...made me jump....not sure it is for me...time will tell.

Brakes - not had real chance yet, but did push a bit on Sunday and felt good.

other bits i am changing asap.....
Rear tail...ugly (better than most) plastic crap....tail tidy is going on Sat....
Front mudguard..... wtf are them orange plastic shit on there:culpability:.... CF will be going on....same on rear....
intigrated tail light - will wait for Motodynamic to release...hurry up lol
front flush mounts ordered.

other than I want to give the bike a chance to show me....in the past I have changed everything including lots of engine mods...but this may not be needed as has ABS, quick shifter, blipper, DTC,........oh and heated grips...yum( never had them before)

So, so far so good and I am mindful of the current bike being the best I've ever had syndrome 😂.....but looking forward to this season..... plan a trip to Europe (let me know if anyone one is going somewhere) and a few longer trips in the UK.

ps I will work out to up load photos and will stage them on the mod journey

M

Welcome to the site, good introduction.

You might wanna think about sticking some radiator covers on to keep the rad in mint condition :)

Welcome to the site, good introduction.

You might wanna think about sticking some radiator covers on to keep the rad in mint condition :)

Hi Stephen, thanks for the remind. This is top of my list.......I have had a very painful experience with my R1 and a hole in the Rad.....geez them Rads are expensive.... thanks mate....:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Any recommendations on the Rad gaurd(s)?

Welcome in! Hope you enjoy running it in now its Spring and actually warm enough without overlaying on the bike.
Have you booked in its first service?

For Rad guards, I also had a painful exp. last year on my 675 - never again with out a guard.

I used a chap who I found on instagram first. He has an eBay store.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-BM...401912?hash=item46605cbff8:g:IMsAAOSwHoFXsgWs

I think mines exactly as above. Will be buying another one in 2 weeks for '17 XR as I think its the same size.
He will also customise the design - the skys the limit even if its garish !

Last edited:
Hi Maddog, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new bike :). Thanks for supporting the forum, much appreciated. Great intro, looking forward to reading about your mods.

Hi, Congrats on the purchase.

I've done the same, cuffed the RESUME on the CC. Scared the life out of me, handful of clutch to recover. But I love going through 30's and 40's on CC. Makes me less impatient to get back on it. I'm also having fun waving at other bikers with my right hand for long enough for them to be thinking 'WTF!?'

Thanks...what is the quality like?

Welcome in! Hope you enjoy running it in now its Spring and actually warm enough without overlaying on the bike.
Have you booked in its first service?

For Rad guards, I also had a painful exp. last year on my 675 - never again with out a guard.

I used a chap who I found on instagram first. He has an eBay store.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-BM...401912?hash=item46605cbff8:g:IMsAAOSwHoFXsgWs

I think mines exactly as above. Will be buying another one in 2 weeks for '17 XR as I think its the same size.
He will also customise the design - the skys the limit even if its garish !

Thirded for the Racing Radiator Guards. Bought a plain black set for my RR, been on there 2.5K miles now. They do the job, and they were ?40 rather than ?100 for a 'branded' guard to do exactly the same job. Fit easily, and dead easy to remove and refit in a couple of minutes (which I do when the bike goes in to BMW, so they don't whinge about cooling being compromised if I ever need to make a warranty claim).

I have the evotech rad guards as fit in with proper mounts, whereas the R+G ones are cable tied

Latest posts

Back