Snetterton 20th August

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
baz link=topic=1264.msg11891#msg11891 date=1345051678 said:
Yes-no problem.Just learn the lines first though!

Hopefully,you should pass everyone!
Nice! Yeah I'll do a few laps first,I'm a very confident rider,so I should be fine,at least I can hang off her now lol yippee no tractors :p

Normally Rookie group is told to leave about 6' between bikes, and not to dive up the inside into the corners. Not that everyone obeys of course.

If its your first time on the track, try to get as close behind the instructor as possible when doing the sighting laps so you can see the line. If you are near the back people will be all over the place (a bit like chinees whispers), the lines get lost a bit more by each rider,

Godzilla link=topic=1264.msg11894#msg11894 date=1345051902 said:
Normally Rookie group is told to leave about 6' between bikes, and not to dive up the inside into the corners. Not that everyone obeys of course.

If its your first time on the track, try to get as close behind the instructor as possible when doing the sighting laps so you can see the line. If you are near the back people will be all over the place (a bit like chinees whispers), the lines get lost a bit more by each rider,
Ah,thanks for that! It's nice to get input from others,can't wait! I'm counting down the days! ;D

Yeah I bet you are excited.

Some things people said to me on my first trackday.

Remember to leave your ego at the entrance to the track. Its not a race and there will be faster people there than you. Ride for yourself, and have fun.

Take a couple of zip ties and take the mirrors off. It takes a couple of minutes and if they are not there you wont look at them.

Edit: Remember to lower your tyre pressures. Ask the tyre guy for recommended tyre pressures, and dont forget to re inflate them after if you are riding home.

baz link=topic=1264.msg11855#msg11855 date=1345024964 said:
Hopper link=topic=1264.msg11826#msg11826 date=1344975647 said:
Ha ha.

Yeah sorry. Should read the whole post before posting.. It's still a good idea to have a word with an instructor if you have any questions etc.

Hi Hopper,So you're doing Snet?

I am in the fast group-I'll come and have a chat with everyone.I usually get drawn to s1000's!

Hi Baz, I'm going to be instructing that day. Come and say hi :)

Godzilla link=topic=1264.msg11897#msg11897 date=1345052704 said:
Yeah I bet you are excited.

Some things people said to me on my first trackday.

Remember to leave your ego at the entrance to the track. Its not a race and there will be faster people there than you. Ride for yourself, and have fun.

Take a couple of zip ties and take the mirrors off. It takes a couple of minutes and if they are not there you wont look at them.

Edit: Remember to lower your tyre pressures. Ask the tyre guy for recommended tyre pressures, and dont forget to re inflate them after if you are riding home.
Nice! I'll make a mental note of that,thank you ;,)

Things that I've observed at trackdays :-
At breifing fellow rider saying " I'm a really fast rider on the road" = Knobbler on track
Blinged up bike in the Novice group = All the gear no idea.
Old bike a few places in front of me about to exit pit lane " Where the Fxxk has he disapperd too?
Trackdays are all about having fun , and bikes unlike cars are goverened by the rider e.g. A good rider on a crap bike will allways beat a crap rider on a good bike. ( I think I fall into the latter ) ;)
Also even if it rains go out , you have paid for the use of the track and you can learn bike control -taking it steady
And most importantly of all don't bin it! :eek:

Parley Waller link=topic=1264.msg11906#msg11906 date=1345059698 said:
At breifing fellow rider saying " I'm a really fast rider on the road" = Knobbler on track
Old bike a few places in front of me about to exit pit lane " Where the Fxxk has he disapperd too?
Trackdays are all about having fun , and bikes unlike cars are goverened by the rider e.g. A good rider on a crap bike will allways beat a crap rider on a good bike. ( I think I fall into the latter ) ;)
Also even if it rains go out , you have paid for the use of the track and you can learn bike control -taking it steady
Well,I'm no pro on the street,my bike is blinged up,so I'm guessing I'm slow lol
I have all the gear as well,that's it I'm a failure already lol
But seriously,I'm doing it for fun,not to impress anyone,and If it rains I'm still going,I've paid £100.
Also like I told Godzilla,I appreciate any input,all I will say is,I've been riding over 20 years and I'm a confident rider,not a pro or claim to be.
As for the last part,I hope I don't bin it! :'(

Godzilla link=topic=1264.msg11900#msg11900 date=1345054276 said:
Hopper is that the only track you instruct at?

No mate. I instruct at Brands, Snett, Cadwell, Oulton, Rockingham etc. Go all over the shop

:)

Parley Waller link=topic=1264.msg11906#msg11906 date=1345059698 said:

Nail on head. I LOVE riding in the rain. Makes you ride soo much smoother. With the right tyres on, you can really get a riggle on in the wet.

@Boards: I would say do a couple of sessions and try to get some instruction for the 3rd or 4th session. Also dont eat a big lunch, better to have snacks all day between sessions, and drink water to stop dehydration. Extra care in the first session after lunch and the last session of the day.

@Hopper. Dont suppose you will be up at Oulton on the 15th Sept?

Godzilla link=topic=1264.msg11914#msg11914 date=1345062571 said:
@Boards: I would say do a couple of sessions and try to get some instruction for the 3rd or 4th session. Also dont eat a big lunch, better to have snacks all day between sessions, and drink water to stop dehydration. Extra care in the first session after lunch and the last session of the day.

I was going to be however I'm away on a weekend break. Pretty sure my mate Jon will be there. We usually travel up together on the further away circuits. He's a very good instructor. A fast lad too :)

I'll be here to hold Boards hand. You will have the best bike riding day of your life.. Looks like its going to be Bermuda shorts and string best weather too....

Shame you not going to be at Oulton, I will probably try and find your mate Jon (I should be able to remember that name) and get a session off him then. Give him a warning lol.

Godzilla link=topic=1264.msg11917#msg11917 date=1345064241 said:
Shame you not going to be at Oulton, I will probably try and find your mate Jon (I should be able to remember that name) and get a session off him then. Give him a warning lol.

I'm gutted I'm not doing it... I'm with Jon at Snett, I'll give him a heads up. He's on a black Suzuki GSXR K5 1000

Hopper link=topic=1264.msg11898#msg11898 date=1345053196 said:
baz link=topic=1264.msg11855#msg11855 date=1345024964 said:
Hopper link=topic=1264.msg11826#msg11826 date=1344975647 said:
Hi Baz, I'm going to be instructing that day. Come and say hi :)

Hi Hopper,will do-perhaps have a few laps together if you're not too busy.

A couple of other things,BoardsofNorfolk,there should be cones out showing turn-in points and apex.Try and stick to them to learn your lines then,as your confidence increases,use them purely as reference points.Also some of the corners are very late apex so do not turn in too early.Also,bear in mind when you get on the two straights on an s1000 you could be doing 160/170mph so please don't scare yourself when you need to brake!!

baz link=topic=1264.msg11941#msg11941 date=1345122837 said:
Hi Hopper,will do-perhaps have a few laps together if you're not too busy.

A couple of other things,BoardsofNorfolk,there should be cones out showing turn-in points and apex.Try and stick to them to learn your lines then,as your confidence increases,use them purely as reference points.Also some of the corners are very late apex so do not turn in too early.Also,bear in mind when you get on the two straights on an s1000 you could be doing 160/170mph so please don't scare yourself when you need to brake!!

Is the cones on corners thing a circuit specific thing? I've never seen them at an EasyTrack day. Only time I saw them was when I went to watch one of the Bike Magazine Reclaim the Tracks Day.

Godzilla link=topic=1264.msg11914#msg11914 date=1345062571 said:

Hey thanks for your help mate! Going to take this all on board. Also glad Russ is there to help me out aswell,looks like I've got a lot to learn :) going to be a blast! 4 days and counting! Vroooooooom :p

You're welcome, hope you have a great day. I'm getting excited for you as well lol.

Latest posts

Back