Small number plate

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5e2c6c8cdcdea0825173cd0ce73913d4.jpg

Oups

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Absolutely big enough maddog anything bigger just destroys a fine looking bike. [emoji108] I've had the same size plate on every bike of mine for 15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once the integrated tail light is on, I'll probably move it to the abs box

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 x 5 on mine with a border and the EU flag so the text is smaller than normal. Only been stopped once in 25 years of riding because of the plate.

i must be getting old. i dont see the point in small plates and especially the letter box ones. i gather the little ones is to tidy up the rear but imo the letterbox ones just draw attention to them so they stand out more than an oe one. i give up on small plates on my 350lc back in the day and the only smaller ones ive had more recently came on the bikes when bought. on my 15, it came with a smaller plate and the first thing i bought was a legal size plate. not worth the ?100 imo.

I think 8x6 is a decent compromise to the barn door 9x7. Only an inch is needed to make a difference, said the missus...

Just for completeness, heres the official guidance : https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...le-registration-numbers-and-number-plates.pdf

Basically:

Text Lettering has to be 64mm high with a 10mm stroke (pen width)
44mm across except for I & 1
10mm between letters/numbers except 30mm between the year and the 3 random letters
11mm margin all around the plate
and 13mm between the top line and bottom line (I think...) i.e.

AB10
<< 13 mm gap
ABC

I read it as the actual size of the plate doesn't matter, as long as the above is kept correct.

Meh, the pamphlet explains all.

I always Velcro mine so are interchangeable... as I say will be mounting it on abs box soon.... once motodynamic get the smoked integrated ready

I have a 7x5 on mine and the policeman did notice that when giving me a bollocking for "filtering incorrectly" on the M40 (going to Silverstone) on Saturday.
He was in an unmarked Volvo and I was bored of people sitting in the outside lane when middle lane was empty.
Just so happened one of them was a copper.
Own fault,have to say I shouldn't have done it, however did get away with a verbal.

There's no such thing as undertaking if that's what the plod gave you grief about, unless you were riding dangerously or without due care. Cue Andyf to put me right...

Regarding plate sizes if anyone is that bothered about the sizing just go buy a private plate with few enough characters to have a smaller plate legally. It's the size and spacing of the letters and numbers, not the actual plate for which there are laws.

Regarding plate sizes if anyone is that bothered about the sizing just go buy a private plate with few enough characters to have a smaller plate legally. It's the size and spacing of the letters and numbers, not the actual plate for which there are laws.

Not according to the twat of a copper who done me and the Mrs least Friday. Never again will I venture into North Yorkshire. I've always known they've had a thing for bike but I would never have believed it if it hadn't of happened to us.
Long story short... past an unmarked 5 series going the opposite way doing about 40 ( honest) as I was waiting for the Mrs whom had told me was stuck behind a truck on double whites.. anyway copper obviously seen my plate and tries to do a u-turn a bit further down as my Mrs comes over the brow of a hill to which both have to slam the anchors on. So I gets the heads from the Mrs that he might be coming. Anyway after a spirited ride to put some distance between us we pull into a 30 and within seconds he's all over us an blues flashing. Unbelievable he must have been flying putting however many road user at risk all for what he called "chase plates" his words. He had a special full size plate "just for bikes" in the back seat. We asked what that meant and he confirmed the police see them and we give chase. ( shame they cant do that for the stolen ones eh!) anyway ?200 lighter and yes it's our fault as they're illegal but we get no bother what so ever and never have done in 15 year up north.
Pete's little lesson to himself never venture south again.

Latest posts

Back