Sepang 2020

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbadboy

Reaction score
Finally got here and can't wait to get some track time after 2 months of break.

IMG_20200102_151526.jpg

IMG_20200102_154403.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoy it! Drink plenty! Going to be wringing the leathers out after each session!

- Alex

As the others have said, have a great time and I shall look forward to seeing photos and video footage in due course! [emoji41]

Somewhat mixed first impressions.

My view of Sepang was based on Niccolo Canepa video before coming here. His video is quite thrilling in way he just overtakes everyone, I guess because most of guys were average riders.

The problem with Sepang is that it's not really fluid. Just when you think you've built up some speed, there is a slow corner where you have to start all over again.
Most of EU tracks are not like that in my opinion.

It looks like a wide track from the videos, but in reality it is not in places where it matters.
I have a feeling in back of my mind that this is f1 track, not really a motorbike suited track like Mugello.

After 2 months of not riding, it's tough to get into the shape, I'm 92kg now as well was 85kg at Jerez in October.
I hope this will go away now that the season has started.

The event is being run by local Malaysian guys, unfortunately the level is somewhat substandard in terms of safety.
I didn't see many marshals around and the only time when there was a red flag today, it took them a while to red flag the session.
It looks like this track is in survival mode at the moment, since the stopped doing f1 due to decline in ticket sales.

Track day is somewhat empty, lots of room on track, 3 groups, 8 20 mins sessions a day.

IMG_20200103_083928.jpg

Anyways highlights of the day, I'm running 16-45 gearing that seems a bit limiting on straghts, switching to 16-44 tomorrow. Best time of the day is 2:25, quite slow for a fast group here.

The only crash of the day, that ended up in fire is Honda

IMG_20200103_153553.jpg

IMG_20200103_153604.jpg

Such a shame going all that way and it not living up to your dreams. Maybe your click with it tomorrow. I was like this when I did the Slovakia ring, but found it enjoyable in the end.

Such a shame going all that way and it not living up to your dreams. Maybe your click with it tomorrow. I was like this when I did the Slovakia ring, but found it enjoyable in the end.
It's okay, not a big issue, as I don't expect to like every track I ride. I guess I won't tell anything new, but the best tracks are all in EU and 2-3 in the UK.

i always struggle with new tracks,takes me a good while to learn+click with them,thats the issue for me(well 1) about these "overseas" trips,i doubt i'd be going back to them so would struggle to get to grips with them properly in the time there.i dont like change :)

It looked like it flows from 2-8 and 10-14 is that not the case?
1,2,9,15 look like a pain in the bum / just massive brake tests.

Would hate to go all that way and burn the bike on Day1. Hope there are some others for hire there.

i always struggle with new tracks,takes me a good while to learn+click with them,thats the issue for me(well 1) about these "overseas" trips,i doubt i'd be going back to them so would struggle to get to grips with them properly in the time there.i dont like change :)
I'm exactly the same...

It looked like it flows from 2-8 and 10-14 is that not the case?
1,2,9,15 look like a pain in the bum / just massive brake tests.

Would hate to go all that way and burn the bike on Day1. Hope there are some others for hire there.
He low-sided in T9 (likely released the brake too quick), the bike made one flip and when it landed small flame flakes got out. By the time Marshals arrived it burned pretty badly. He is still not sure why the fire started. No leaks in tank or fuel hose.

3-8 are fluid, and so is 10-13. The slow ones are just a bitch, also T11 and T14 require you to break while leaning, that's quite some skill to have. Altho with T14, I probably do not approach it wide enough to be able to keep the bike upright before breaking.

It's a technical track for sure.

Not sure about rentals here. I googled up one Singaporean company who organizes trackdays here, they seem do but not much details on their website.

Managed to do 2:24 today. Far away from Max Biaggi 2:06 that he managed to do on Aprilia tody.

Within 20 secs of a pro on a lap that long is commendable

- Alex

Last edited:
Back