S1000rr Stink of petrol normal?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zulfib

Reaction score
Guys.

Every time I park up my 2011 s1000rr in the garage it absolutely stinks for hours and the smell goes into the house.

Doesn't matter whether it's a short journey or a long one. Is this normal for the s1000rr?

Anyone able to share their experiences.

Thanks

No that's not normal, sounds like you got a leak under your petrol tank im sure there was a recall to for a tiny part to fix that , take of your tank and underneath there is a quick release fitting my bet is that that is leaking

Interesting. IThe dealers had put the clip on last July as part of the recall.

OK. I've done some checking. The petrol smell is coming out through the air filter. Any thoughts?

Have you done anything to the bike, i had an exhaust and rapidbike module fitted and it was set up to run so rich i would come home stinking of petrol as well as the bike.

If not i would have a look under the tank and inside the air box, the fuel lines run to the injectors inside the airbox so if something was leaking the fumes would exit through the air intake

It is mechanically stock. Original exhaust and cat. Checked all the fuel lines, tank and connectors. They are fine. No drivability issues that I can notice.

Last edited:
Doing some pressure checking of the pump now to see if there is a system leak or leaky injectors. Does anyone know for a fact if the fuel pump is primed when the ignition is turned on? Reason I ask is that I am getting mixed messages as to when the pump is primed - on ignition or on start?
Second onCe the fuel rail is pressurised between 3.2 and 3.8 bar, once the engine is switched off does the pressure drop off gradually to deo-pressurise or should it be maintained?

Thanks.

OK. Found the source of the petrol stink. It is coming from the track vent pipe at the front just below the exhaust. The pipe end is wet to the touch even half an hour after the bike being switched off. The petrol inside was at about 35C. Alot of heat soak from the cat and engine warming it up leading to excessive venting.

Anyone got an Evap can on their s1000rr to catch the fuel?

Back