S1000RR Gen 4 Delivery Thread

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just read through the German S1000RR boards. 3 de-facto deliveries and about 7 cancellations already because the delivery dates have been pushed to late 2019 / 2020 :(
How not to launch a product , wonder if the man in charge gets a pay rise.

Just spoke to dealer - didn?t sound confident, thinks there are delays coming , even the bikes ordered in September don?t have scheduled delivery dates.

Don't count on me cancelling.
Not got much choice as after the MV I vowed never to buy Italian again.
Saying that if it's 2020 and a new R1 is out than that's a different matter ��

Don't count on me cancelling.
Not got much choice as after the MV I vowed never to buy Italian again.
Saying that if it's 2020 and a new R1 is out than that's a different matter ��

yip, me too. Only reason I didn’t buy an R1M was because I heard it was up for a revamp next year. If the BMW is delayed until the end of this year I think I’ll cancel and regroup in the summer next year

According to s1000rr global forum:

A dealer in Germany gave today a bit more info according to a forum poster in another forum:

According to the dealer, BMW noticed that the machine that mills the crankcases, simply milled not deep enough. Once they noticed, they had to return and check all bikes and found that only every 3rd was done correctly. Some of the showroom bikes are not to be turned on for that reason. So that caused/causes a LOT of delays and on top it doesn't seem like a trivial fix for the machine and they run with low yield.

That's probably not the only issue they had but it seems like maybe the biggest current issue. Has nothing to do with M-Package or not

That's funny.

They also say German dealers offer 18 and R9T models as replacement until gen4 is shipped. Very generous!

According to s1000rr global forum:

That's funny.

They also say German dealers offer 18 and R9T models as replacement until gen4 is shipped. Very generous!

I was offered any demonstrator I wanted until my new bike arrives. I asked for the S1000R which they only had 1 of. I was told that another customer had it but I could have anything else but I don?t fancy an adventure bike or the rest of the BMW range.
The dealer then told me that BMW would reduce the price of the bike by ?500 if I didn?t take a loan bike. I accepted this only to be told 20 minutes later that they misinterpreted the offer and that the ?500 would be to spend on accessories for my new bike.
So basically a ?500 voucher for missing at least 6 months biking. Not exactly what I?d call great compensation.

If the reviews hadn?t been so good on this bike I?d have cancelled long ago. I was actually thinking about buying a 2017 RSV4 RF to see me through to next year but I know come the end of the year when my new bike would be due I?d only be pissed off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was offered any demonstrator I wanted until my new bike arrives. I asked for the S1000R which they only had 1 of. I was told that another customer had it but I could have anything else but I don?t fancy an adventure bike or the rest of the BMW range.
The dealer then told me that BMW would reduce the price of the bike by ?500 if I didn?t take a loan bike. I accepted this only to be told 20 minutes later that they misinterpreted the offer and that the ?500 would be to spend on accessories for my new bike.
So basically a ?500 voucher for missing at least 6 months biking. Not exactly what I?d call great compensation.

If the reviews hadn?t been so good on this bike I?d have cancelled long ago. I was actually thinking about buying a 2017 RSV4 RF to see me through to next year but I know come the end of the year when my new bike would be due I?d only be pissed off.

I would take reviews with a pinch of salt, these tester will have it placed 3rd /4th position next year like they did with the CBR, GSXR, R1 they do it every year , they ain't going to slag it when they are getting a free bike off BMW . No doubt it will be good but the words no soul/character, brake fade, vibrations, stretch to bars , q/shifter not precise, cheap plastics stick n my mind but everyone to their own.

I would take reviews with a pinch of salt, these tester will have it placed 3rd /4th position next year like they did with the CBR, GSXR, R1 they do it every year , they ain't going to slag it when they are getting a free bike off BMW . No doubt it will be good but the words no soul/character, brake fade, vibrations, stretch to bars , q/shifter not precise, cheap plastics stick n my mind but everyone to their own.

I?ve already test ridden the V4S and the new RSV4 1100 both of which were awesome bikes. I?ve got a test ride on the new BMW in a couple of weeks when I?m home so I can make my mind up then

Mate just got this letter from BMW UK, I supposed others will get it too. Sorry for formatting. Posting from phone

Phil Horton, Director, Motorrad UK
E-mail [email protected]
From
Recipient Date Subject
Attn: Prospective Owners of the new BMW S 1000 RR June 13, 2019
S 1000 RR Order Status and Production Delays
Mr XXXX
Dear: __________________________
I am writing to you today to update you on the above topic; a topic that is as disappointing and frustrating for BMW Motorrad UK and its Retailers as it is for yourself.
First, please let me apologise on behalf of BMW for the extensive delay that you have had to endure so far. Secondly, please excuse the lack of personalisation on this letter which is due to the fact that your data is at this stage held by your Retailer and not BMW itself.
Unfortunately, I?m sorry to have to inform you that BMW?s Plant Berlin continues to experience ongoing production delays with this brand new model. These delays are the result of supply chain issues and the nature of these delays mean that confirming expected delivery dates is very challenging.
To put the topic in context, in advance of the new bike?s 1 June launch UK Retailers were holding several hundred confirmed orders, over half of which were placed in or before the last quarter of 2018; as at today we have delivered to UK customers less than ten bikes! In addition, last Friday we were informed that worldwide RR production in Berlin will virtually cease through June and July, while the plant builds the backlog of May?s production. Therefore, even the August and September delivery dates that many UK customers were given in good faith by their Retailer may not now be met. In fact, as we currently cannot obtain a guarantee that high volume production will definitely re-commence in August, there is still a small risk that we may not even deliver every one of the currently held orders this year.
The ?supply chain issues? referred to above apparently centre around a single component provided by a third party that has not been able to provide acceptable quality on 100% of parts supplied. As you would expect, Plant Berlin will simply not build bikes that in any way do not meet BMW?s exacting standards, hence the very slow rate of production so far.
Separately, in the UK we face an additional issue in that over 80% of our orders are for the top of the range M Sport specification while the factory currently has a maximum capacity of 35-40%.
We understand the anticipation for this model is extremely high and can only reassure you we are working as hard as possible in the background to achieve the earliest possible delivery date for you. I can also confirm that as bikes are received in the UK they will continue to be allocated as fairly as possible based on retailer order date.
In recognition of the further disappointment this announcement will cause we would like to offer you a ?500 Retailer Credit which can be used towards servicing, parts ,accessories or BMW rider wear and which will be available upon collection of your ordered S 1000 RR.
Once again, please accept my apologies for the massive inconvenience and frustration caused by the delay you are experiencing and thank you in advance for your continued patience and loyalty to the BMW Motorrad brand.
Yours faithfully

Same situation with me when I spoke to Bahnstormers yesterday :( Anyone rode an S1000RR??! I'm considering doing some mile munching around Europe on one if they are offering it just because it's something I'd never do normally. The GSA looks great for travelling but it's massive and not so fast so probably will irritate me but the S1000XR looks like it has the power and will do mega miles across Europe if I dont mind doing them since its going back to BMW later.

Really don?t know what to do now.

I really want the bike but does it warrant waiting until next year

Mate just got this letter from BMW UK, I supposed others will get it too. Sorry for formatting. Posting from phone

Phil Horton, Director, Motorrad UK
E-mail [email protected]
From
Recipient Date Subject
Attn: Prospective Owners of the new BMW S 1000 RR June 13, 2019
S 1000 RR Order Status and Production Delays
Mr XXXX
Dear: __________________________
I am writing to you today to update you on the above topic; a topic that is as disappointing and frustrating for BMW Motorrad UK and its Retailers as it is for yourself.
First, please let me apologise on behalf of BMW for the extensive delay that you have had to endure so far. Secondly, please excuse the lack of personalisation on this letter which is due to the fact that your data is at this stage held by your Retailer and not BMW itself.
Unfortunately, I?m sorry to have to inform you that BMW?s Plant Berlin continues to experience ongoing production delays with this brand new model. These delays are the result of supply chain issues and the nature of these delays mean that confirming expected delivery dates is very challenging.
To put the topic in context, in advance of the new bike?s 1 June launch UK Retailers were holding several hundred confirmed orders, over half of which were placed in or before the last quarter of 2018; as at today we have delivered to UK customers less than ten bikes! In addition, last Friday we were informed that worldwide RR production in Berlin will virtually cease through June and July, while the plant builds the backlog of May?s production. Therefore, even the August and September delivery dates that many UK customers were given in good faith by their Retailer may not now be met. In fact, as we currently cannot obtain a guarantee that high volume production will definitely re-commence in August, there is still a small risk that we may not even deliver every one of the currently held orders this year.
The ?supply chain issues? referred to above apparently centre around a single component provided by a third party that has not been able to provide acceptable quality on 100% of parts supplied. As you would expect, Plant Berlin will simply not build bikes that in any way do not meet BMW?s exacting standards, hence the very slow rate of production so far.
Separately, in the UK we face an additional issue in that over 80% of our orders are for the top of the range M Sport specification while the factory currently has a maximum capacity of 35-40%.
We understand the anticipation for this model is extremely high and can only reassure you we are working as hard as possible in the background to achieve the earliest possible delivery date for you. I can also confirm that as bikes are received in the UK they will continue to be allocated as fairly as possible based on retailer order date.
In recognition of the further disappointment this announcement will cause we would like to offer you a ?500 Retailer Credit which can be used towards servicing, parts ,accessories or BMW rider wear and which will be available upon collection of your ordered S 1000 RR.
Once again, please accept my apologies for the massive inconvenience and frustration caused by the delay you are experiencing and thank you in advance for your continued patience and loyalty to the BMW Motorrad brand.
Yours faithfully
Total joke, my order would be cancelled months ago . other bikes out there just as good , so you miss a whole years riding LOL

last post had a typo, should have been 'XR'

Same situation with me when I spoke to Bahnstormers yesterday :( Anyone rode an S1000XR??! I'm considering doing some mile munching around Europe on one if they are offering it just because it's something I'd never do normally. The GSA looks great for travelling but it's massive and not so fast so probably will irritate me but the S1000XR looks like it has the power and will do mega miles across Europe if I dont mind doing them since its going back to BMW later.

Total joke, my order would be cancelled months ago . other bikes out there just as good , so you miss a whole years riding LOL
Miss a summer on a *new bike*...you still have a bike in most cases. Appreciate some dealers took bikes in already as part ex but I don't think thats the majority. And it was before the dealers knew there would be delays.

- Alex

Same situation with me when I spoke to Bahnstormers yesterday :( Anyone rode an S1000XR??! I'm considering doing some mile munching around Europe on one if they are offering it just because it's something I'd never do normally. The GSA looks great for travelling but it's massive and not so fast so probably will irritate me but the S1000XR looks like it has the power and will do mega miles across Europe if I dont mind doing them since its going back to BMW later.
GSA is faster cross country than you'd expect. OK it won't do silly speeds but they leave superbikes on the road due to visibility, range, confidence, comfort.

- Alex

Thats my thoughts but I'm not sure I could cope with losing the cornering performance and being so big and heavy. I had a KTM 1290Adv which I traded in for my RR a few years ago and that was XR performance but massive and too much of a switch from the sports bike.

I?m spitting feathers. Think it?s the whole being kept in the dark that?s pissing me off

Miss a summer on a *new bike*...you still have a bike in most cases. Appreciate some dealers took bikes in already as part ex but I don't think thats the majority. And it was before the dealers knew there would be delays.

- Alex

I must be missing something in this delivery discussion, ok its annoying if your new bike doesn't turn up when you expect it to but what I don't understand is why anyone would miss out on weeks / months of riding by trading their bike in when they don't have a nailed on delivery date, why not trade in at the time of delivery or shift on ebay once delivery confirmed?

good bikes, iv'e a s1000r and its great

I must be missing something in this delivery discussion, ok its annoying if your new bike doesn't turn up when you expect it to but what I don't understand is why anyone would miss out on weeks / months of riding by trading their bike in when they don't have a nailed on delivery date, why not trade in at the time of delivery or shift on ebay once delivery confirmed?
+1, my thoughts exactly, I could not trade a bike in without riding home on a new one.

This situation is very frustrating for the buyers, I wonder how many potential owners have been put off or indeed cancelled thier order?

Latest posts

Back