S1000 - Gsxr

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched this a couple of days ago and agree it was the usual, I like it cause it's flawed kind of review. Which is fine, Ferrari have won countless road tests in magazines for the same reason.

I noted they said they didn't play with the suspension settings at all, which is a bit of a false economy. Just cause one bike suits you on factory settings doesn't mean another will.

I disliked it. They are really trying to sound 'relevant' and playing too much on the pre launch hype that was around last october. MCN said the gixxer was a dissapointment.

I can't help thinking that either we've all (except Ryan) completely missed the point, or the reviewers have.

All the reviews seem to focus disproportionately on track performance. If you're buying a track bike, and have the skills and stones to get the most out of a modern litre class bike on track, then slight differences in track performance can be important. However, if you mainly ride on the road, being a better road bike is far more important (as acknowledged in so many reviews with an 'off the cuff' "but obviously if you're going to be riding on the road, you'll be wanting the BMW"). But, if we look into the undeniable logic of that, does it stop at the S1000RR? Should we then compare the S1000RR to the K1300S and see which is the better road bike, or is that also missing the point?

N.B. At least 44teeth didn't do a group test, find that the BMW was 2nd fastest on track, best on the road and therefore 3rd overall (2+1=3?)

Although I completely agree with you Andy I think the reasoning behind the track testing is to provide a consistent test, but it does seem to end up with a lot of willy waving based on tiny time differences that most mortals would struggle to replicate. Road riding is very subjective and entirely down to how the individual rides. Also roads and traffic vary a lot across the country, as I find to my amusement when southerners come up norf and can't cope with the pace of fast sweeping traffic free strips of tarmac we have up here. There are road riders who are fast road but slow on track and vice versa. The reviews seem to sway around that dilemma of road v track, and overall, for best of both worlds you'd always end up with the BMW imo.

Although I completely agree with you Andy I think the reasoning behind the track testing is to provide a consistent test, but it does seem to end up with a lot of willy waving based on tiny time differences that most mortals would struggle to replicate. Road riding is very subjective and entirely down to how the individual rides. Also roads and traffic vary a lot across the country, as I find to my amusement when southerners come up norf and can't cope with the pace of fast sweeping traffic free strips of tarmac we have up here. There are road riders who are fast road but slow on track and vice versa. The reviews seem to sway around that dilemma of road v track, and overall, for best of both worlds you'd always end up with the BMW imo.

+1

I love my S1000RR but I've been a GSXR rider for many years so when time comes to change, I'll certainly be looking at the Suzuki. I'm sure after a year or so the Suzuki will have been tweaked & the initial gripes the reviewers mention ironed out.

Cos most of us don't have foreign passports :triumphant:

I like the guys on 44 teeth and in fairness their conclusion was based on blasting around a track for a couple of days in the sun, don't forget Baron rides an HP4 and is designing a one off design for the current S1K on behalf of Bahnstormer - so there's no anti S1000RR conspiracy going on. I love my bike, I can't ride it much faster anywhere than a '98 R1 I once owned but I don't care, and while I consider changing it from time to time for the sake of variety it certainly wouldn't be because a journo claimed they could lap a foreign track a fraction of a second faster on something else.

Latest posts

Back